Advanced certificate by distance learning?

Options
Jo111
Jo111 Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone could help me. I’ve only just sat certificate’s exam on Tuesday, I felt it went quite ok and I’m looking to move on. I’ve got dilemma though…as the college I did my evening certificate classes is rubbish ( in my personal opinion) and I don’t seem to have much choice inmy area as far as aat course providers are concerned.

I read about Eagle education and Premier training in some posts and I thought it could be a solution as I should have no problem with motivating myself to study and revise at home. What I’m worried about is, if I’ll manage to actually understand and make everything sink in on my own ( in a sense that I won’t be attending the classes)?

Can anyone let me know if they did 2nd year by distance learning and how they found it?

I didn’t have any problems with certificate whatsoever and I even found it a bit too slow. I do realise that advanced is more difficult and having read your comments about your exams I’m terrified!

Do you think it’s worth going for distance learning or is it better to stay with classrom based course?
Maybe I should mention as well that I don’t work in accountancy and I don’t have any accountacy background- do you think it matters when it comes to the way of studying AAT?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• KVeevers
    KVeevers Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hello

I am doing the advanced with eagle there really good there using Osborne books the tutor is brilliant. I personality find distance learning is for me ideal. I don’t work in accountancy. But because I am doing it from home I don’t have say to friends I can’t on this day because I have to go to college. I have done all my courses via distance learning and always done it in shorter time.

Katrin
  • Jo111
    Options
    Hi Katrin,

That's what I mean- I'm tempted as there is that possibility to finish the whole year eg in 6 months and go onto the third year after December exams rather than spend whole year to do advance...

So you didn't find it too difficult to get all of that even though you only had books to learn from?

Joanna
  • KVeevers
    KVeevers Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi

I have done my foundation via ICB (institute for Certified Bookkeeper) Started this in July 2008 and passed level 1 and 2 in November. AAT is more in depth and due to English not my first language I will see if I can do fra and ecr both in December. But it is possible to do it. With distance learning you can do it in your own time and this is what is good. I havent found any problems with the books if i have questions or queries i rang my tutor and she is really helpfull and answers quite quick
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I started Advanced Certificate as soon as I had taken my Certificate exam in June. I studied with Premier Training and was ready to take my exams in December.

I left it until Feb/March to do the 2 skills tests, I could've started earlier, but found it difficult to motivate myself after the Christmas break!!
  • Jo111
    Options
    Hello Richard;)

I take you first concentrated on the main one ECR/FRA as it would be too much to try to do that and skills tests meantime?

Did you have any problems with exams as the external student?

I checked the Premier training website, but it doesn't actually say what exactly you get when you "buy the course" materials-wise. Do you get only books or is there any other revision/ guidance aids included?

Thanks!
    Joanna
  • valentino46
    valentino46 Registered Posts: 124 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    hi jo,
    i am a distant learning student at present and have been for 3 years now. I enrolled with premier training leaving the automotive industry and had never worked or dreamed of working in accounts. Starting at foundation level i ordered the gumf from premier training and was assigned a tutor who is excellent, i had the will power which you mention to teach myself and start understanding accounts. when i did need to speak to my tutor he was on the other end of the phone and has a technique of describing methods to me brilliantly so i can understand them. I took foundation in my stride and have passed the foundation exam and i am just waiting to get my portfoilio signed off.

I am now doing intermediate level and i am half way through with premier training and the same tutor so he knows my strenghts and weaknesses. i would recommend premier training and i look forward to passing intermediate level.

i have found a position with an administration/accounts title that is giving me valuable knowledge of an accounts computer package and as my knowledge and level of qalification i am also finding that my career opportunites are also.

rk accountancy do a lot of trainee postions that you may like to look at, although i am unsure of the availability of jobs wit the current climate.

rob
  • emmag
    emmag Registered Posts: 35 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I'm with Premier Training. I didn't do the foundation course as I had done a bit of bookkeeping and they thought I could go straight in at the intermediate level. I started in March and just took both ECR and FRA this week. I have the simulations to do during the rest of the year. My tutor is great and is very helpful if I need him and they are fast in the turnaround of assignments. They send you all the osbourne books you need plus a timetable to suit you.

I would say that it takes a lot of motivation to do it yourself. I found it hard to get into it to start with. Then I got ahead with the assignments and felt good about it, but then I left it for a bit and kept putting it off. The timetable was great and made sure there were deadlines so that helped but I should have started revision a lot earlier than I did.

Everything takes longer learning it yourself. It is possible though and I think (fingers crossed) I've done enough to pass the exams. But you do need to be motivated.

I had no problems myself sitting my exams this week as an external student at a local college. It was very easy to organise.
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Jo111 wrote: »
    Hello Richard;)

I take you first concentrated on the main one ECR/FRA as it would be too much to try to do that and skills tests meantime?

Did you have any problems with exams as the external student?

I checked the Premier training website, but it doesn't actually say what exactly you get when you "buy the course" materials-wise. Do you get only books or is there any other revision/ guidance aids included?

Thanks!
    Joanna

Hi Joanna,

Yes, I did the ECR/FRA exams in December, had no problems at all with them. Premier supply the Osborne books which are very good, they also send you about 3 assignments and a couple of mock exams, all of which you send in for marking by a tutor.

After I'd completed the exams I did the CMCC and Ethics skills tests, again no problems at all.

I would recommend Premier Training to anyone.

Good luck

Richard
  • imota
    imota Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I am doing my course , as well, with Premier Training, and I recommend it, I think that the osborne books are excellent. I brought somes books from BBP and I found that nothing interesting. I hope you do the best choice.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Jo

I am another one with Eagle Education. Did my Certificate with BPP but didn't find they provided any tutor support.

Have just sat the FRA and feeling confident that I did well. If you managed the Certificate level you will be fine with the Advanced cert it is all a natural progression from what you have already learnt.

Whoever you go with make sure the tutor support is there, as it is something you may be use to. I have a named tutor and can email/skype/phone and get a reply back pretty much immediately.

Eagle also provide a 'Study buddy' as well as the Osbourne books, which are very well written. The study buddy is a lesson plan for each subject which just makes absorbing the information easier, than just reading a chapter. Check out their e leaning on the aat website, if you get on with this you will get on with the study buddy.

Good luck with whoever you chose :thumbup:
  • Jo111
    Options
    Hi all:001_smile:

Your comments are certainly a big help!! I'm pretty sure home learning is the best option for me.

I need only to decide who to choose eagle education or premier training and I suppose I'll start next week!

My aim will be to sit December exams...:tongue_smilie:

So don't be surprised if I pop in here soon with some silly questions;)

Thanks to all of you!!!
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I would definitely say give them both a ring, it will help you decide which one is best for you. I was in the same position in February, was deciding between them both. When I rang both were very helpful and happy to answer all questions.

Good luck, I enjoyed Unit 5 and have just started on unit 15 this week. Would like to get one simulation out of the way before ECR in December.
  • Jo111
    Options
    Hi Katsutlieff,

I might do as well. But to be honest Eagle seems to be more appealing to me since they've got that study buddy.

I was concerned that reading books, as the only way of learning, would make absorbing info difficult and long process, but if there is such an aid available I'm sure it makes some difference!:001_smile:

But yeah, I'll definitely give them a ring to ask about bits and pieces.

I would love to be able to sit both main exams in Dec and shortly after or maybe meantime(...?), do the simulations.

"Time is money"! Hope everything will be fine- I'm really determined;)

Jo
  • emmag
    Options
    Well I don't see why you can't sit both in December. Like I said I started in March and have just taken both so it's definitely possible. Wish I had gone with Eagle as the study buddy sounds ideal. I had to do it all myself, reading the books and completing the assignments. To be honest I realised how much I didn't know when I went to the AAT revision sessions in London. I learnt more from them than I would have done in a whole week of learning on my own.
  • Jo111
    Options
    Hello emmag,

I take the revision session you mentioned was an independent and not within the course you paid for at Premier Training?

Did you go there because you didn't feel confident enough or did you just want to make sure you did everything you could to pass these exams?

If it's outside the course (as I don't know yet how it all works- calling them tomorrow), I suppose I'll see how confident I feel and then if needed I would consider going for revision session.

Definitely I'm going to do everything to pass all of it at the first attempt...I'm actually very excited:001_smile:

At last doing something to develope and seeing the difference- very good feeling!! (not that i found a job in accountancy... but hey- everything in the right time:001_smile:
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I did Intermeidiate and Units 8 & 9 with Kaplan but have changed to Eagle for the rest of Technician Level.

Did not find Kaplan very good for Tutor support until I managed to track down one person who was okay, unfortunately she has now gone on maternity leave so I decided to change.
  • emmag
    Options
    Jo the revision sessions were independent and run by the AAT. I went for both reasons you mentioned really. I'm very glad I did because I realised at that point that I really hadn't got my head around a lot of things and there were things I'd completely missed somehow. I went away feeling that there was a lot to learn but confident that I could do it in the four weeks left.

Premier training literally provide you with the books, a timetable to suit you, a tutor and all the assignments to work through. HOWEVER although my tutor is fantastic and always there to help he is only there when I get in touch. I haven't spoken to him for at least 8 weeks. I thought I might have got a call to see how the revision was going or even a call just before/after the exams but I've heard nothing. I thought Premier Training might have wanted to check up on how each of their students is doing but they don't.

Good luck to you though, you sound like you have all the motivation you need to do it long distance
  • Jo111
    Options
    Padmill,
    I wasn't convinced about distance learning at all and feared to end up frustrated, stressed and without help. But luckilly I did a proper research around this forum and found info about Eagle.. and Premier..

Only because of many good opinions of other students I actually started considering it.

Hopefully I won't regret:001_tongue:

Jo
  • Jo111
    Options
    Thanks emmag!

Well maybe they will still contact you, you never know...
    It would be nice, wouldn't it?

I read on Eagle's website that if my tutor doesn't hear from me he/she gives me a call at least every four weeks to check up on me and on my progress-but if it really works like that I don't know.

I registered with them today and am waiting for them to call me back to finalise "the transaction". Hopefully the pack will arrive this weak so I can crack on;)

Fingers crossed for your results:001_smile: - and all others as well!!
  • Ed1
    Ed1 Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I've been with Eagle since Foundation, took both ECR and FRA last week, and I intent to continue with them until I complete Technician.

I really couldn't speak highly enough about them, responses to queries and pleas for last-minute help are dealt with so quickly.

College study and home study have their respective pros and cons, but if you're going for the latter option then I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Eagle.
Privacy Policy