Working abroad, Oz

Melegan
Melegan Registered Posts: 16 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi

Does anyone know if the AAT qualification is recognised in Oz and if so if you get any extra points when applying for a visa? Or does anyone know anywhere where it is recognised? Just fancy a change.

Thanks
x
ยซ13

Comments

• mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    No it is not. You will need to progress to CIMA/ACCA and eventually become a fully fledged accountant. AAT is certainly not recognised. It is not even really given much of a second glance by employers' in the UK.

here here on that one....had a few people look and say in an interview....oh your only AAT !!!:thumbdown:
  • Melegan
    Don't tell me that! So it's not going to be of much benefit, unless I continue?! How depressing!:crying:
  • Melegan
    I have a degree in History. Do you reckon I'd be better to forget about the AAT - only have unit 10 left to complete - and do a PCGE? Just don't know what to do for the best!

Getting confused now!:001_unsure:
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    It is readily regarded as micky mouse by employers.

Thats a crock of ****
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Chartered Accountancy would be recognised in Oz. Chartered Accountants are always in demand.
  • Sonny_L
    Yeah I know, but just in case she would prefer to stay in accounts I wanted to point out that the further qualifications such as ACA, ACCA etc. would allow her to swan about the globe if she were willing to delay her emmigration for another couple of years.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I know there is an Australian AAT, I don't know whether you'd be exempt from some of it as you've done AAT? Might be worth looking at.
  • Melegan
    Thanks for all your posts. I've got a lot of thinking to do.
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    AAT is not a worthless qualification. There are a lot of companies that are accredited employers and value AAT very highly and as such their staff, when following their own development programmes do not have to do CPD as it done automaticly for them.

Thier are a lot of contries that recognise AAT as a proper qualification and after basic formailites, will happly transfer you over to thier own qualification if necessary, even if it means just taking a basic exam.

AAT student services will be able to give you a better understanding of those countries that recognise it and what needs to be done. Do not listen to those who have a massive chip on their shoulder running down AAT, as they have a bigger ego than the companies buidling that they are trying to get into. Which is why they keep failing. It is respect for others and not looking down on them, because they have taken longer to do the course then them.

Quite frankly if i had the choice i would employ those, rather than others who have spent the entire afternoon, insulting all my friends here.

I want to wish you all the best for any future move that you make, you are certainly brave and have my respect.
  • mark130273
    think AAT by its self is not great in the hunt for a job situation .but it does hold you in good stead if you carry on to do CIMA or ACCA ...then it will save time in learning...

Have to say when i started AAT i thought it was held virtually on par with a degree or very close to chartered ......
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Mark, very disappointed to see you got involved in the trolling bollocks with Repeaters by denouncing the same AAT qualification currently being studied by many of your so called friends. I can assure you that with adequate experience, the qualification is seen as valid by many employers and far preferable to an accounting degree with no experience.

How about you grow some and then post in the MIP section to tell them their qualification is worthless despite them making good livings from it?

Repeaters is just a short term troll out for short term mischief with no evidence they've ever taken any part of the qualification whereas you are a regular fixture on here...
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It is readily regarded as micky mouse by employers.

Tell me why so many employers pay for AAT training then? :001_rolleyes:
  • Melegan
    mikes wrote: ยป
    I want to wish you all the best for any future move that you make, you are certainly brave and have my respect.

Thanks very much Mike.
  • mark130273
    Mark, very disappointed to see you got involved in the trolling bollocks with Repeaters by denouncing the same AAT qualification currently being studied by many of your so called friends. I can assure you that with adequate experience, the qualification is seen as valid by many employers and far preferable to an accounting degree with no experience.

How about you grow some and then post in the MIP section to tell them their qualification is worthless despite them making good livings from it?

Repeaters is just a short term troll out for short term mischief with no evidence they've ever taken any part of the qualification whereas you are a regular fixture on here...

have to say blobbyh , I was under the impression when i started this course that after the first year that i was going to be able to walk into a position in acocunting and be on a nice little earning job and then after two years be on a lot more and then once i completed the final year then I would be on a very nice sum of money . enough to take me through to early retirment, but once I had completed the first year and tried to look at jobs the rate of money for a level 11 AAT student with no experiance was extremely low to my expectations, but I carried on training and trying and got a job in an accounts office after completing my 2nd year and the money was not any more than i was on ,in a small factory cutting room assistant(no qualifactions needed). Now I am completing the 3rd year and still looking for a good job with good pay and finding that there is a lot of people who have gone through the full qualifacation and gone onto ACCA or CIMA and dropping there pay just to carry on working in accounts. Im not saying that you can get a good wage from being AAT qualified and not saying it is a waste of time but what i am saying is that in my experiance going for an interview with AAT ,SOME(not all) companies look at AAT as not that great . But hopefully if i can carry on to do ACCA then this will hold in very good steadto get a job?

hope you appreciate this post as this is the most i have every typed out for a post on this forum and now my fingers are sore?:laugh:
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    have to say blobbyh , I was under the impression when i started this course that after the first year that i was going to be able to walk into a position in acocunting and be on a nice little earning job and then after two years be on a lot more and then once i completed the final year then I would be on a very nice sum of money . enough to take me through to early retirment, but once I had completed the first year and tried to look at jobs the rate of money for a level 11 AAT student with no experiance was extremely low to my expectations, but I carried on training and trying and got a job in an accounts office after completing my 2nd year and the money was not any more than i was on ,in a small factory cutting room assistant(no qualifactions needed). Now I am completing the 3rd year and still looking for a good job with good pay and finding that there is a lot of people who have gone through the full qualifacation and gone onto ACCA or CIMA and dropping there pay just to carry on working in accounts. Im not saying that you can get a good wage from being AAT qualified and not saying it is a waste of time but what i am saying is that in my experiance going for an interview with AAT ,SOME(not all) companies look at AAT as not that great . But hopefully if i can carry on to do ACCA then this will hold in very good steadto get a job?

hope you appreciate this post as this is the most i have every typed out for a post on this forum and now my fingers are sore?:laugh:

Forgive me for saying this Mark but it's not the qualification that's causing your problems it's the lack of experience (I'm sure).

I think that you will have as much trouble (if not more) being ACCA qualified with little experience as you will then be seen as being over qualified for the jobs that AAT will get you into.

I believe the problem that has been mentioned here by Repeaters is unrealistic expectations, you do AAT and think you can just walk into a fantastic job but without any real 'live' experience that just won't happen. If AAT lead anyone to believe that then maybe criticism is justified. The advantage that AAT might have is the fact that work experience is (or should have been) encouraged, especially in the NVQ route.

I can't understand the put down due to not having to have qualifications to start the course - isn't that the same as GCSE's etc?
  • mark130273
    Forgive me for saying this Mark but it's not the qualification that's causing your problems it's the lack of experience (I'm sure).

I think that you will have as much trouble (if not more) being ACCA qualified with little experience as you will then be seen as being over qualified for the jobs that AAT will get you into.

I believe the problem that has been mentioned here by Repeaters is unrealistic expectations, you do AAT and think you can just walk into a fantastic job but without any real 'live' experience that just won't happen. If AAT lead anyone to believe that then maybe criticism is justified. The advantage that AAT might have is the fact that work experience is (or should have been) encouraged, especially in the NVQ route.

I can't understand the put down due to not having to have qualifications to start the course - isn't that the same as GCSE's etc?

seems to me that is about right...lake of experiance counts for a lot of things...

here a add on questions............

2 people going for a job in an accounts office......

1 fully qualified AAT, with no experiance.
    1 no qualifacation, with 12 months experiance.

both asking for the same wage.

who would you employ ?
  • blobbyh
    You took the words right out of mouth there Annette! I mentioned the graduate culture somewhere yesterday where some people think passing a qualification entitles you to higher level jobs and salaries. No, it merely helps filter you out from the non-quals and you still have to do the hard work by demonstrating to a potential employer that you can apply learned knowledge in a real life situation.

Have you applied for jobs outside practice Mark, in industry or the service sectors since there is possibly a larger market there for AAT onlys? The wages might be lower than what you'd expect but then they're often - and fairly - linked to experience anyway.

I can empathise that the non-experienced yet qualified MAAT can be very frustrating but if you ran your own business would you be willing to put your company in the hands of someone with little hands on knowledge? You may see it as a cruel world but I just see it as realistic.
  • blobbyh
    2 people going for a job in an accounts office......

1 fully qualified AAT, with no experiance.
    1 no qualifacation, with 12 months experiance.

both asking for the same wage.

who would you employ ?

If it was a trainee role, then the latter since they can go on to study. If it's not and I need the role to be done immediately, then the latter again since, as you've pointed out, they can already do it. AAT qualification might be a head start but experience is king.
  • Paul24
    I have to say, its a risky business getting that far through the qualification with no experience. I would like to think I would have stalled my studies. There is nothing more important than matching your level of qualification with workplace skills.

Paul.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I was under the impression when i started this course that after the first year that i was going to be able to walk into a position in acocunting and be on a nice little earning job

Who gave you this impression? I was never expecting a good salary until after I'd qualified. My first job in accountancy was basically preparing bank recs and fixed asset registers with lots of filing thrown in for ยฃ8000pa! You have to start at the bottom.

I'm now preparing: accounts for sole traders, partnerships, LLPs, audit exempt and audit companies; VAT returns; business tax returns; personal tax returns; CT600's; CT61's; litigation cases; tax investigation cases... I could go on! And my salary has more than doubled. And I wouldn't be doing any of this without the AAT behind me, or my wealth of experience in bank recs!
  • Paul24
    If it was a trainee role, then the latter. If it's not and I need the role to be done immediately, then the latter again since, as you've pointed out, they can already do it. AAT qualification might be a head start but experience is king.

Cash is King, how many times do I have to tell you you have have made yourself look stupid?!
  • blobbyh
    He he he...
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Its a case of your dammed if you do your dammed if you dont, i first went to join hays 10 years ago at an open night in our town hall and they would not even allow me an interview due to no qualifactions.

So two years later i went to them with 5 GCSE's 3 A-Levels and again no interview as no experience.

So i managed to find a practise administration job at an accountants (off Job Centre site) worked for a year. Then went back to Hays and they were willing to take me on but for only admin jobs.

4 years on and now an accounts assistant in the same firm two years into my AAT hays last week contact me almost ripping my arm off to sign me up i turn it down.

No disrespect robert at all but agencys are blindsighted by what they do and dont want.
  • A-Vic
    No decent non-mickey mouse degree. There's your answer.

And that makes no sence ? now you seem to act like an inteligent person but with a responce like that i guess thats the degree you took
  • blobbyh
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    No disrespect robert at all but agencys are blindsighted by what they do and dont want.

None taken Vic and you summed it up with your last comment. Where did some people begin thinking agencies are charitable not-for-profit organisations placing weak or unsuitable candidates into their clients on the off chance they might be able to do the job and the client will pay regardless? It's not being blindsighted at all, it's about making a profit from supplying suitable candidates into our paying clients.

Of course, recruitment agencies like any other for-profit organisations, they know their core market sectors and what they can and can't sell. It's just that our commodity is people, the skills they have and that others want and are willing to pay for.
  • Paul24
    What is your degree in Repeaters?
  • A-Vic
    Did a class one, in all honesty.

Do you mean a class one honnors degree or you just took one class please me being a lower standard of student i need details please do explane yourself more or at least in a language that everyone can understand
  • Paul24
    And what was the real deal subject. Come on - Im trying to get an intelligent conversation going here.
  • Sonny_L
    Also what uni?
  • Paul24
    Well it depends on what you consider challenging, Im more interested in topics that evoke philosophical discussion, not necessarily having one right answer. Some of the more challenging intellectual discussions do not necessarily have to be academically challenging, after all, that phrase could yield different results every time between a hundred people. I have a friend who has a 2.1 in economics, very academically bright, but cannot put together an a case in a debate, whereas I can formulate an argument on a subject I know little about, sometimes a very convincing one, this is a skill in itself. Intelligence is not necessarily about passing academic courses, all doing that shows is that you have the ability to pass academic courses.
Privacy Policy