Mobile Phones Directory

Options
Jan
Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Has anybody heard of this happening?
You may not be aware but next week, all UK mobiles will be on a directory which will mean that anyone will be able to access the numbers so will be open for cold calling. It is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done before the beginning of next week to make sure that you are ex directory. You may want to unsubscribe any personal mobiles or advise friends and family accordingly.

Removal is recommended by the BBC.

Follow this link and go to the home page, then select Ex-Directory at the top right and follow the instructions which are quite painless

http://www.118800.co.uk

Comments

• LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    ...so will be open for cold calling

They say they don't give numbers out to anyone, including sales people. I think whoever sent you that, is just causing mischief.

I quite like the idea of it, increases the liklihood of getting a hold of some you want.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Looks like something sinister on the face of it, but after further digging, it could be useful for some, especially as people change their mobile numbers so frequently and it's easy to lose touch with not so close friends and relatives...

According to the site, the person trying to contact you never gets your number. Instead you are forwarded their details and you have the option of whether you contact them or not. So cold calling can't happen via this method unless you really want them to.

Has all the markings of a new Facebook scare virus though... can't wait.
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    According to the site, the person trying to contact you never gets your number. Instead you are forwarded their details and you have the option of whether you contact them or not. So cold calling can't happen via this method unless you really want them to.

The biggest flaw I can see is people claiming to be someone else..... "Yeah, we have your old friend from school, 'Bob' wanting to get hold of you.........do you want his info?"

Bob doesn't have to prove to 118800 that he is Bob, does he....but even then, if you have his numbers you can call him with number withheld and find out who he is.....
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Exactly, just put 141 in front of his number before calling him and suss him out first...

I think this is a very good idea as my distant siblings, nephews & nieces are always changing their damn numbers without telling anyone.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    dont you just love the cold calling !!! NOT !
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I am ex directory at home, and when I get sales people calling I always accuse them of pretending to be a sales person whilst actually phoning my partner because they are conducting a lurid and passionate affair.

They never call back............
  • blobbyh
    Options
    dont you just love the cold calling !!! NOT !

They're just ordinary people trying to earn a decent crust like the rest of us and it's not like it's every single day that we're called. There are people much lower down the 'scum scale' - traffic wardens for starters (or at least the ones near where I live and work). Many a time I've seen them ticketing young mothers cars who've inadvertantly overstayed their two hours while taking their toddlers to the park, even when it's not even busy. Vermin.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    hey i know that . because ive done cold calling myself for about 3 months......themost boring thing ever ?
Privacy Policy