Redundant twice in 4 months

It appears that you are only safe if you are in a ledger role or an accountant role. I’ve been in between for some time and found myself being made redundant twice in the last 4 months from two separate companies. The first time my boss couldn’t afford to keep 2 bookkeepers so he got rid of me as he knew I would eventually leave to be an accountant and the second time, the company had to get rid of a ledger clerk and I was the choice as I would be progressing into an accountant role within the next year.

The bottom line being that if you have aspirations to be in another position in the near future (that the company cannot accommodate) then you are first out the door.

I do have 3 months notice though which is good. With me being AAT qualified (August), a CIMA student and cost accounting experience, I should hopefully land an assistant role within the 3 months.

Can anybody else relate to this?

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Sorry to hear that Don.

Yes, this happened to me, when I first started studying for an accounting career. Because of this, I advised Bookworm only a couple of days ago to proceed with caution when disclosing private studying to prospective employers;

http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23164

I know it sounds harsh but in harsh times, companies are looking to build teams that can see them through and people who have aspirations of not staying - for whatever reasons - are often first in the firing line. To repeat, its nothing personal just business.
  • blobbyh wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Don.

Yes, this happened to me, when I first started studying for an accounting career. Because of this, I advised Bookworm only a couple of days ago to proceed with caution when disclosing private studying to prospective employers;

http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23164

I know it sounds harsh but in harsh times, companies are looking to build teams that can see them through and people who have aspirations of not staying - for whatever reasons - are often first in the firing line. To repeat, its nothing personal just business.

The thing is, is that I was brought into the company to progress into a CIMA role eventually. That role is non existant now.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I guess you just have to be pragmatic and look forward. The depth of this recession is unprecedented and even the FD at my own place left last week. We've downsized so much to stay afloat that there was no longer a need to keep him on full time at £75k a year.

Things will turn around - there are small indications already in the home recruitment markets - and those that have battled through it will be in a better mindset the next time it happens.

Good luck.
Privacy Policy