US careers for UK accountants denied?

Options
I’ve just been looking to see if the transition between the UK and the US would be easy for a qualified accountant and I am now thinking no.

They don’t seem to recognise CIMA, CIPFA or ACCA / ACA. Their CIMA is known as the IMA and their CIPFA is known as AICPA. I can’t seem to find an ACCA / ACA equivalent.

Does this mean that we can’t go to the US without having to retrain?

What are your views?

Comments

• Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    What are your views?

I have never understood why so many British people seem to want to move to the USA. But I thought it was difficult for anyone, so I'm not really surprised we (as accountants) don't get special treatment.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bookworm55 wrote: »
    I have never understood why so many British people seem to want to move to the USA.

Personally, I would move because the quality of life is better. Opportunities are greater due to the size and wealth of the country and I suppose over there, you don’t feel as if the government are raping your pockets to support people who don’t contribute to our economy any way, shape or form. I believe that is why so many British people move abroad.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Don Juan wrote: »
    I can’t seem to find an ACCA / ACA equivalent.

AICPA is the US equivalent of ACCA/ICAEW/CIMA and CIPFA. They do not have the multitude of bodies that we do.

NSACCT is the equivalent of the AAT or IFA.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Don Juan wrote: »
    Personally, I would move because the quality of life is better. Opportunities are greater due to the size and wealth of the country and I suppose over there, you don’t feel as if the government are raping your pockets to support people who don’t contribute to our economy any way, shape or form. I believe that is why so many British people move abroad.

"Grass is always greener..."

The USA is also in a major recession at the moment and whilst they may not recognise UK accounting quals, I would bet that UK employers dont recognise US quals.

Neil
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    www.britishexpats.com

Check out the forums on this website. There's an Accountants section if I remember correctly.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    It is tempting to move, an accountant friend went over there, taking a lower position yet ending up with a much better lifestyle!
  • hinezee
    hinezee Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I moved to the US from the UK late last year. I had many doubts about leaving the UK behind and thought I would miss many things. The fact is, everything is much better. I have less stress, people are friendlier overall and the economy is massive! Getting here with all the immigration forms and process was a challenge, but I wish I had moved here sooner.

In terms of your question. Each state has a CPA board. I would suggest looking up the state board for where you are wanting to move to and making an inquiry. I'm in Texas so have started the process. The have taken my qualifications and are evaluating them by using a local university admissions officer to get a comparison to the US qualifications (ok I have a small issue with them recognizing the AAT, but that aside...). Once you've got your head around the local states requirements the whole process seems fairly straight forward.

There is a CMA qualification which is for the management accountants (i.e. CIMA equivalent), but little is known about them. In my experience everyone is looking for a CPA qualification, so for career marketability I would go for that.

Alan
Privacy Policy