Employee funded students

Options
messedup89
messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
As your employer is paying for your course, do you have to pay the course fees back if you leave?

Comments

• brett316
    brett316 Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Most employers will put a contract in place that agrees if you leave within a certain time period you will have to pay it back e.g. leave 3 months after completion pay back 75% etc.

If nothing was agreed then theres nothing they can really do about it if you dont pay it back ...
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Depends on the terms of your contract and/or training agreement. Often it depends how long after the course finishes. I didn't have to pay anything, but that's mainly because I never had a written contract. If you have an implied contract (like I did), then things like repaying training costs are hard to establish.
  • Luflux
    Luflux Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Most employers will get you to sign a learning agreement so that if you leave with a set time you will have to pay back x amount of the course.
  • jay cutler
    jay cutler Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    The best solution is not to leave the course and work hard. Of course personal circumstances permitting then it up to you to repay the faith your employer has in you passing the course. Anyone who gets funded by their employer is very fortunate but deservedly so. I paid for the whole course myself so I've no idea what employer support is.
  • messedup89
    Options
    Im am currently studying AAT level 4 with 6months to go, after that i will be doing acca (consider it taking 3yrs). To not have to pay my company any money back i have to leave 2 years after my final exams. That means i have to be here roughly anough 6 years! ACCA is very epensive, its a lot of money to pay pack. And i dont want to be here for another 6years as i want to go into practice :( All trainig should just be free!
  • messedup89
    Options
    Payment Terms Fee to be deducted
    After the course has been ordered, during the course
    being undertaken or within 6 months of completion
    Full amount of course cost
    After 6 - 12 months of completion ΒΎ of the total course cost
    After 12 - 18 months of completion Β½ of the total course cost
    After 18 months - 2 years of completion ΒΌ of the total course cost
    After 2 years of completion No fees
  • messedup89
    Options
    Just figured out that if i was to leave after completeing my AAT (before starting ACCA) and paid back Β£20 a month it would take over 7years! Im too scarred to think how long it would take to pay back if i left during ACCA! :eek:
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Well, it's a major cost to your employer so they need to know they'll get a return on their investment. At the very least that you'll be around for a while to work for them. Are you particularly thinking of leaving?
Privacy Policy