Letter of Engagement questions

Options
Psyche
Psyche Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Me again,
I've downloaded the sample Letter of Engagement from the AAT website and gone over it with my client, but there are a few phrases we didn't understand. Does anyone know what they mean?

- Under responsibilities of directors, "• determining whether for any reason the exemption is not available in respect of the period." What is this exemption?

- Further down the section, the accountant agrees to "(d) maintain the statutory books." Are these just the year-end accounts and the supporting paperwork required by law?

Also, at the bottom of form 64-8 there is a box that says "Client reference". Do I fill that in, and if so, what do I use for the reference?

Thanks again!
~Psyche

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Psyche wrote: »
    Also, at the bottom of form 64-8 there is a box that says "Client reference". Do I fill that in, and if so, what do I use for the reference?

Thanks again!
    ~Psyche

Hi

I cant help much with the others but the reference is either sole trader Unique Tax Reference or Limited Tax Reference if either havnt been registered just tick the not registered box on the 64-8

The company registration number will be available on companies house site

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/d036080fffc883931e088cb140daa758/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »
    Hi

I cant help much with the others but the reference is either sole trader Unique Tax Reference or Limited Tax Reference if either havnt been registered just tick the not registered box on the 64-8

The company registration number will be available on companies house site

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/d036080fffc883931e088cb140daa758/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

I beg to differ but the "Client reference" is the reference you allocate the client, in your files. The UTR etc is covered in the second column of the 64-8.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I beg to differ but the "Client reference" is the reference you allocate the client, in your files. The UTR etc is covered in the second column of the 64-8.

Right at the very bottom yes of course my bad you can use your own reference what your client is filed under
  • Psyche
    Options
    Thanks, now I just have to come up with one! :)
    ~Psyche
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Me again,

- Under responsibilities of directors, "• determining whether for any reason the exemption is not available in respect of the period." What is this exemption?

I presume you mean the small companies exemption from preparing full accounts.
    - Further down the section, the accountant agrees to "(d) maintain the statutory books." Are these just the year-end accounts and the supporting paperwork required by law?

The statutory books are those supplied to a limited companies and are usually the memorandum and articles of association, the company registers and the company seals.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options

Is this the box in the agents details section? If so you don't have to fill it in, it's just if you use client references for your own filing purposes etc.
    ie. you might use the first 2 letters of the clients name followed by a 4 digit no.

Edit - A Vic beat me!
  • Psyche
    Options
    Thank you Bluewednesday, both of those make complete sense!
    ~Psyche
Privacy Policy