Sacked and banned from a temp agency

Options
Evildeath
Evildeath Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
Hi. Does anyone know what I can do for references ? I was sacked today and prevented from dealing with them ever again over a misunderstanding and I know I was little at fault. For references can the agency give a reference still for the work I done or must they highlight I got sacked to the next employer ? I worked in the job for 5 months.

Comments

• sebastianforbes
    sebastianforbes Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    maybe i can't answer on the technicalities of your relationship with the employment agency but...

i notice that you've only joined the forum today,
    you've only ever left one post about a rather unfortunate issue,
    and you've chosen the name 'Evildeath'.

i don't want to judge a book by it's cover but can you see how it might be hard to ignore ?

i would recommend a fresh start, with a brand new employment agency.

time to turn over a new leaf !

best of luck !!!
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    If you have less than twelve month's experience they can sack you without a reason unless it is discriminatory: race, sex, religion, age etc.

If it was over a "misunderstanding", was this deemed gross misconduct?

Can you ask them exactly what will appear on the reference? They cannot lie, but they can state that you were dismissed. They may just confine their reply to dates and title.

You will still have to explain your resons for leaving to another employer. It is possibly only a damage limitation exercise now, make that phone call and ask them what they will put on the reference, then you can think of a way to explain this misunderstanding to a future employer.

We have just employed a guy who was summarily dismissed for gross misconduct. He was open about it in the interview, explained what happened and why his ex employers viewed the situation so harshly. He told us how he should have handled the situation and how he will in future deal with a similar set of circumstances. He convinced us and got the job.

Good luck.
  • Evildeath
    Options
    sorry about my choice of nick. guess i'm not the happiest person today. thanks for replying. what i'm asking is whether i can still obtain an acceptable reference without any reference to being sacked ? or do i tell other agencies i never worked in those 5 months ? I don't know what to do now.
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    It all depends on the reason for your dismissal.

If it was for anything involving dishonesty, you may find it difficult to find work.

If it was for something that you can explain and show that you have taken the experience on as a valuable lesson, then although you may find it more difficult, you should be ok.

I would never lie. Liars are always found out. Now prevarication is perhaps only one up from telling lies, but be careful. We have sacked a bloke, months after employing him because he hadn't been truthful on his CV, and our attitude is that Billy Liars wont get work from us. You just can't ever trust a liar.
  • Evildeath
    Options
    It was a matter of trust. I admit I failed my employers due to dishonesty. I regret my actions and deservedly paid the price. I still did my work with pride and it was praised. but I regrettebly let myself down on many occasions. disonestly regrding things like amount of internet usage and a lot of personal use of my e-mail box to friends were all picked up. i deserved to go, no question and need a fresh start. but surely i would never be able to obtain a reference now. Are bad references allowed by law ?
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    It was a matter of trust. I admit I failed my employers due to dishonesty. I regret my actions and deservedly paid the price. I still did my work with pride and it was praised. but I regrettebly let myself down on many occasions. disonestly regrding things like amount of internet usage and a lot of personal use of my e-mail box to friends were all picked up. i deserved to go, no question and need a fresh start. but surely i would never be able to obtain a reference now. Are bad references allowed by law ?

you may not have noticed but most of us who post on here (a few dozen times a day) are actually sat at work and are meant to be working :ohmy:
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

I think in your case should a reference be requested they would just provide the bare minimum required. I suppose if a company did ask for specifics they may divulge the reasons why they made the decision.

However if the actual quality of you work was not in question, then they would have to answer honestly about your capabilities.

I'm not going to criticise you, as unfortunately you must be feeling bad enough about what has happened, you will just have to learn not to make the same mistakes next time.

Learn from it, don't dwell on it, and move on!

Good luck

Tracy
  • Evildeath
    Options
    columbia wrote: Β»
    Hi

I think in your case should a reference be requested they would just provide the bare minimum required. I suppose if a company did ask for specifics they may divulge the reasons why they made the decision.

However if the actual quality of you work was not in question, then they would have to answer honestly about your capabilities.

I'm not going to criticise you, as unfortunately you must be feeling bad enough about what has happened, you will just have to learn not to make the same mistakes next time.

Learn from it, don't dwell on it, and move on!

Good luck

Tracy

Thanks Tracy. I'm not feeling good about it. Because it was an agency job I suppose I don't need a reference from the client but something from the agency themselves ? I don't know anymore.
  • runarounalot
    runarounalot Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    This is guidelines for giving references at our agency http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Startinganewjob/DG_10026703
  • Pinkjo
    Pinkjo Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    The reference will be from the agency.
  • Evildeath
    Options
    This is guidelines for giving references at our agency http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Startinganewjob/DG_10026703

Thats useful. Thank you.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    you may not have noticed but most of us who post on here (a few dozen times a day) are actually sat at work and are meant to be working :ohmy:

Only some!
  • Aaron C Rescue
    Aaron C Rescue Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    And of course remember your rights under the Data protection Act, you are entitled to access any records that the agency hold on you - so you will be able to see exactly what you have been accused of.
Privacy Policy