Life after AAT, anyone else confused?

Options
Gemd
Gemd Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
I've just completed AAT and am looking at my next step to chartered accountancy. As I work for a charity I initially thought that i'd do the CIPFA professional qualification but now i'm constantly been told that i'm narrowing my options by taking this route and should look at CIMA or ACA. Unfortunately, as i work for a small charity (which limits the amount of practical experience I can gain not to mention lack of funding) this isn't an option for me and as i'm sure everyone else can verify, finding a new job that will support a trainee in the current climate is proving a challenge to say that least.

Is there anyone out there that's done CIPFA and if so does it really narrow your options to work in the corporate sector as well as the public sector?

Comments

• Pencil
    Pencil Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi Gemd

I haven't studied CIPFA but work in public finance. This was a route I was looking at taking and have had several bits of advice. The first was, as I am in public finance a lot of what we currently do at work can be related to the CIPFA syllabus so, in theory, making it easier to understand, although the final year completly takes over your life. If you wanted to transfer your skills to the private sector it should be just a case of completing a couple of extra exams to achieve CIMA or ACCA (so I believe).

I was also told to think very carefully about where I see myself if 5-10 years time. Not an easy thing to do in this current climate, but if you really can't see yourself working in the public sector for this length of time then maybe one of the other accounting routes would be better.

There is a lot to think about and lots of people put CIPFA down saying you are restricting yourself, but it is still a CCAB qualification and will open doors to NHS, Police, Local Government, Army, Fire and Rescue etc, not exactly small fry.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :thumbup1:
  • Lizzim
    Lizzim Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Gemd,

I currently work in the public sector and have just started CIMA training (still waiting on AAT results and an outstanding project!) as the department I work for wants management accountants as a priority - the logic being that eventually these individuals will be able to undertake senior management positions but also have accounting knowledge. It is the only CCAB qualification that is supported, although there are obviously people who studied others in the past.

So, although CIPFA seems like the obvious choice for public sector work - it may not be the case.
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Have u considered ACCA to keep your options open?

Im in a similar boat and want my options to be left open as you never know what opportunaties life holds, I wanted to do ACA but as my work wont support that ACCA is my only other option to not be directed into an industry.

Its not an easy choice as can impact your future. Good luck with whatever route you choose

:thumbup:
  • Gemd
    Gemd Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies, I really appriciate it.

I'll have a look into ACCA as another option and I didn't realize that CIPFA could be topped up to CIMA/ACA so thanks for that.

I better get a move on as time's running out quickly for a September start.

Many thanks
    Gemd:001_smile:
  • S11AHS
    S11AHS Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    are able to compare the two - ACCA or ACA
    which one is the best!
    i hear some people say that ACA is better and others say ACCA!
    doesnt ACA have world recognition?
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Three accountants were in the urinal performing their morning constitutional. The first finishes and walks over to the sink to wash his hands. He then proceeds to dry his hands carefully. He uses paper towel after paper towel and ensures that every single spot of water on his hands is dried. Turning to other two accountants, he says - “Chartered Accountants are trained to be extremely thorough.”
    The second finishes his task at the urinal and he proceeds to wash his hands. He uses a single paper and makes sure that he dries every drop of water from his hands using every available portion of the paper towel. He turns and says - “Certified Accountants are not only trained be extremely thorough but also trained to be extremely efficient.”
    The third accountant finishes and walks straight for the door. “Management Accountants learn not to piss on their hands.”
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    ^^^ Lol!!
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Rofl lmfao :)
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    confused.............................found it worse thaan the exams ..trying to find out what the next steps are ??
Privacy Policy