Job in council

blacksheep
blacksheep Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
I'm trying to get opinions on whether I should apply for one or both of two jobs I've seen advertised by my council... but neither of which is strictly an "accounting" role.

There are two options - council tax officer, and finance officer in a local school (which is a lower pay, but only working in term-time). Both are far closer to home than where I work now, so travelling is no issue at all - in fact, would save me a lot in petrol costs!
They are both finance related (bank recs, processing payments, managing budgets) but have a fair bit of admin work tied up in them too.

Does anyone else work in this sort of role, do you find the AAT useful?
I don't want to waste all the studying I've done; I think I can put it to use here, but have never worked for local government so not sure what sort of career path to expect.

Comments

• Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi there, I work for a council, & most of the finance officers are ACCA/CIMA. Take it if you can as there's normally plenty of scope for promotion or sideways transfers internally, also study support. I'd personally steer clear of the council tax officer vacancy as it has the reputation of being one of those jobs people get stuck in (like payroll, if you know what I mean). Best of luck!
  • CathG
    CathG Registered Posts: 145 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Likewise I work for a council. and I agree unless you want a career in Council Tax (you can train for IRRV) go for the Finance Officer job. It would be offering quite a variety of duties although you must ask at interview what training are they willing to provide. Because of the current economic climate local authorities are only obliged to offer training that strictly applies to the post. So if you already have AAT they may consider further qualification of, for example ACCA, CIPFA etc., not necessary.

Where I work I don't think a council tax officer would be involved in bank recs or managing budgets .
  • blacksheep
    blacksheep Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    CathG wrote: »
    Likewise I work for a council. and I agree unless you want a career in Council Tax (you can train for IRRV)....

Where I work I don't think a council tax officer would be involved in bank recs or managing budgets .

I thought I would be the only one spending saturdays nights on here! :001_smile:

IRRV was mentioned on the council tax spec as a "desirable" so I guess they would want me to study it. The finance officer was my preference, it seems really varied and not much I wouldn't be involved in. It is a little less than my current job but as I reckon i would save the difference in travel costs and time. Their spec says "must show willing to undertake any training deemed necessary" which I guess might include ACCA or similar if i ask nicely.

Thanks for the replies, its a big help to make tricky decisions
  • flower
    flower Registered Posts: 160 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I am a Finance Officer for local council and find that my pay is far in excess of what I would be earning in an accounting role at my level of AAT study. Also holiday entitlement much better. Have done both jobs in Council Tax Office. The only problem that I have is that nothing I do is at all related to what AAT study involves. Because it is classed as a professional qualification I am allowed to attend college for training and they also fund it.
    A lot of job adverts for council finance posts do now require AAt qualification. Most councils are accredited AAT employers. Think Finance Officer Job would be the best one to go for. Hope this helps
Privacy Policy