DFS section 2 (June 09 exam)

Comments

• jen
    jen Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    I also failed section 2. It is so frustrating, and I think I actually answered Section 1 well, and probably would of passed if it was based on an overall percentage. It just seems very unfair.
    I phoned AAT today, and you can only take computer based exams for Foundation and Intermediate.
    The most annoying thing is not being able to get ACCA exemptions, so having to wait until June 2010 to start ACCA exams!!!
  • marveljoe
    marveljoe Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    I know its easy for people who have passed to critise others who have failed but don't its bad enough failing. I too have failed section 2 and its worse as this is the only section I have in all the exams over the 3 years.

I'm looking at the cost of resitting before going back does anyone know if you have to pay full cost of the course at college if you are only resitting 1 module?

I'm not bothering with doing the review as I've been told they don't come back with enough information on what you have failed on.

The appeal process might also be a waste of money as 9 times out of 10 they are not successful.
  • jen
    jen Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    You can just pay for your exam fee if you want to, and I think its something like £45. I dont know if your college would offer any extra classes though. Your would also have to pay to renew your AAT membership if it runs out before you take the exam.
  • Ampsie
    Ampsie Registered Posts: 145 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    marveljoe
    know its easy for people who have passed to critise others who have failed but don't its bad enough failing.

I hope you didn't think my comments meant i was being critical. I wasn't - i was just given a lot of advice form my tutor about what comments to put in the reports and how to look what the examiner wanted.

I just wanted to pass that on to people as i know that was what got me through section 2 as i know i got zero marks in the very last question.

Thought it might be helpful

Ampsie
  • Symbol
    Symbol Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    Marvelob,

Please do not be to dishearten.... I took PEV and PCR in December and failed half of each paper....

In my June exam I took PEV, PCR, DFS and BTC..... I started each paper on Section 2 and passed three and a half of them (Pctct confused me!)..

The best advise my teacher told me about DFS is your need to pass section 2 to a high level as it is a small section. The report is the biggest bit as you have to explain how the different ratio affect the business.

As there has been ratio's in each foundation and intermediate they also expect you to comment on how changes to one ratio affect another items within the balance sheet:001_smile:

Hope this is of any help...:)
  • catlclark
    catlclark Registered Posts: 20 New contributor 🐸
    I have just passed DFS and my advise would be to write lots for each ratio and make sure you compare them and not just write about them seperately. You also need to make sure you write about what might be affecting them.

I think you should appeal though or at least get your papers back so you can see where you went wrong.

Good Luck
  • Susie79
    Susie79 Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    The impairement loss etc questions were in section 1, so even if many people didnt perform top there it doesn't explain failing section 2!

I too agree that as this is only 30% of the paper it seems unfair to fail the whole paper because of 1 or 2 errors!

C'mon AAT sort it out, this has happened previously to a friend of mine and they lowered the pass rate from 60% to 40% as so many people appealed against their results!
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Snap Crackle & Pop!

Another DFS S2 fail, :crying: I was so sure that I had passed as I actually revised my a! off to make sure that I knew what I was talking about.

I am not going to use money on an appeal as many aren't successful & I don't want to find out that it was only 1 or 2 marks that I missed by & there is no room to change them. I would rather think it was the whole section & start afresh.

I have the same problem with PEV so knuckling down to it & roll on December :thumbup1:

Lots of practice papers & practicing the report writing as that is S2 on both papers, have to learn the key phrases that the examiners want and actually use them this time where they want to see them :blushing:
  • lynne03
    lynne03 Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    I can't make up my mind about appealing, part of me thinks its throwing good money after bad, but then I really thought I'd passed so if I don't find out what I did wrong how can I put it right????????????????:confused1:
  • numberz
    numberz Registered Posts: 44 Regular contributor ⭐
    i don't know what to do about appealing either, yesterday i didn't want too but today i want to appeal cos i know i done really well on my ratio's!!!!!!!

also the exam resit is 2nd dec and my little bundle of joy is due 8th dec so not sure if it's too close to risk paying for exam and maybe not attending??????

what do we do????????
    I've spoken to loads of people from college and they failed too, and the few i know that did pass said they didn't know how cos they didn't write anything like what was in the answers
  • princess
    princess Registered Posts: 80 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hun, if you think you did well in your ratios then i would appeal....
    I have looked at the question paper again for PEV and still havent a clue! or can remember what i wrote!! So i dont think i will appeal!! Let me know what you decide.....x
  • numberz
    princess wrote: »
    Hun, if you think you did well in your ratios then i would appeal....
    I have looked at the question paper again for PEV and still havent a clue! or can remember what i wrote!! So i dont think i will appeal!! Let me know what you decide.....x

I will honey, really don't know especially when people say they know they didn't do well and still passed arghhhhhhhh....
    have you looked at answers for dfs?????

when we get together we'll go through june09 (pev):001_smile:
  • princess
    princess Registered Posts: 80 Regular contributor ⭐
    Yeah i've had a look at DFS and i think my answers were similar cos after what our tutor said to me, i made sure i looked and looked again (neglecting PEV in the process)!!

Yeah we sure will - see, i dont go away!! haha!!!
  • di.w59
    di.w59 Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    DFS appeal

think i am going to ask for a review, i was pretty confident with the ratios and felt that i answered it all correctly, although am going to put in for the resit as well - at least i will know where i need to revise :huh:
  • lynne03
    lynne03 Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    After speaking to my tutor I am def going to appeal, if only to find out what was weak about my report as she seems to think getting the asset question wrong shouldn't be enough to fail............also there's always a chance that if enough people appeal they'll do something about it. Right I def need to stop talking about this now before my brain explodes:lol::lol:
  • Susie79
    Susie79 Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    I have contacted Maria Moore the Senior Administration Assistant at Student Services of the AAT and all she can advise me to do is go through the appeals process to find out how I was marked!!

Still seems unfair that we don't get a copy of our original script to compare answers, even though we have to pay for it :crying:

I think the only way around this is if we all unite and appeal, at the same time filing complaints if we are all sure that we did well and the result seems unfair!

Will hopefully speak to my tutor this week and get her opinion, we need help and advise on what to do now.
  • di.w59
    Appeal

like lynne i also spoke to my tutor who said that it would be a good idea to appeal, so have already completed the paperwork and sent it into college for them to sign off and post. it doesnt seem fair but would sooner know if i got something really wrong cos i was sure i had all the ratios and explanations spot on. :confused1:
  • numberz
    di.w59 wrote: »
    like lynne i also spoke to my tutor who said that it would be a good idea to appeal, so have already completed the paperwork and sent it into college for them to sign off and post. it doesnt seem fair but would sooner know if i got something really wrong cos i was sure i had all the ratios and explanations spot on. :confused1:

did you send the cheque for £42 with your letter to the college????? was thinking that would be easier to post letter than dragging my poor kids to college with me
  • di.w59
    hi yes i sent both to college, i spoke to them first to let them know they needed to fill parts in
  • AATmunkee
    AATmunkee Registered Posts: 123 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hello all, :001_smile:

Sorry to hear that some of you failed section 2!! I know how annoying it is as i managed to do that on PEV even though i actually felt quite confident!! However.. i did manage to pass DFS and if im honest i always struggled with the ratios and report writing..
    my tutor advised me to print off the AAT suggested answers for each past exam paper and write on a revision card some bullet points for each ratio included in their (rather long winded) answers.. its actually quite funny to see how repetitive they actually are and you will soon pick it up.
    I had everything blue tacked onto my walls for a week beforehand so i had a chance to memorise and there we are.. a miraculous pass!!! :)
    PEV re-sit in Dec tho.. nearly there :001_rolleyes:
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    I Passed DFS

I passed DFS

I thought i was going to fail the second section to be honest, as I didnt write much in the 2.2.
    The current Assets part. I certainly didnt mention the <12 months!
    But Although i got the gearing ratio wrong in the first part of the second uestion, I know I backed it up well!
    So I think I probably passed most of section 2 on the writing about the ratios to be fair.

I knew I wouldnt have got any marks for the impairment question in Sec 1
    and no marks in the Assets written task, so i was suprised to pass both sections!
  • block15
    block15 Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    I spoke to my tutor who has marked a lot of DFS papers and he said that you won't fail just because of a weak answer to part 2.2 as that is only a minority of the marks for the section. As it is only a small section, the majority of the marks come from the analysis of the ratios.

For example you can get the numbers right and say whether it has gone up or down and even whether this is good or bad for the business. The difference between a pass and a fail is to discuss the figures, what it might mean for the future of the business and why certain figures have changed.

I don't want to sound rude but if you have failed, it is unlikely to be because of 2.2 but probably because you didn't go into enough depth on the discussion question. They need to seperate people who pass and fail somehow and the easiest way is to do it is to split people who can just crunch the numbers and people who understand why you get those numbers and what it means.
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    sdv wrote: »

Just read that, thanks.

Will keep that in mind when my time comes to sit DFS.
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    sdv wrote: »

I used these answers at the exams, the same ones they wanted to hear and for this reason I passed!

By the way, I posted this document too in various old posts just before the exams, what a pity lots of you have missed it!

Lots of good luck for the next re-sit!
  • numberz
    that's why i'm so surprised i didn't pass as i read this over and over and was really proud of section 2?????????? it was section 1 i ruined and i passed that section arghhhhhhhhh...... but it's done now, my appeal has been sent but mainly because i'd like to have comments back too......
  • lucy_o
    lucy_o Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    DFS Section 2

I'm another failure of DFS section 2 and after reading some of the posts, I'm even more confused as to why I failed!
    I know I didn't mention the less then 12 months in the current assets and liabilties but I wrote what we were taught to do in the report section, so I haven't clue where I went wrong.
    Was thinking of appealing but with the cost of re-sitting and renewing my AAT membership fees, it's all a bit too much, so I may never find out where I went wrong.
    Let's just hope they don't sneak another question like that one into the December exam!
  • numberz
    as it's the new examiner i'm wondering if exam questions are going to be like this from now on???
  • block15
    block15 Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    numberz wrote: »
    as it's the new examiner i'm wondering if exam questions are going to be like this from now on???

Like what? It was exactly the same style as the previous few years. The only difference being that he asked a question, which was in the course, but wasn't one of the usual questions that has been asked before.
  • lou123
    lou123 Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    :001_smile:
    Londina wrote: »
    I used these answers at the exams, the same ones they wanted to hear and for this reason I passed!

By the way, I posted this document too in various old posts just before the exams, what a pity lots of you have missed it!

Lots of good luck for the next re-sit!

After my third fail at section 2 of DFS last December I asked for feedback and realised that my report writing was weak and my ratios didn't link to each other.

This time I followed the advice in the article Londina highlighted, and ensured each of my ratios could be compared to each other to explain my interpretation. For the first time I felt confident about my explanations because my answer wasn't sketchy or weak, and I passed and have now completed AAT.

Don't lose heart because you WILL pass - I was devestated last December and ready to give up. Good luck to all, and thanks to Londina from me!
    :001_smile:
Privacy Policy