Technician Choices

Options
Vics
Vics Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi. I am starting Technician in September after succesfully finishing Intermediate. thank god :001_smile:

My options i am going to do are actually both tax paprs and im going to do the Audit paper in addition.

What im asking really is a bit of advice on whether i should sit 3 exams in Dec 09... PEV, PCR and BTC or do 2 exams this year and take bothe my BTC & PTC exams together? :huh:

Any advice would be greatly received.

Comments

• taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I did pev and pcr together as they are very similar.

i am planning to do dfs and possibly a tax unit in december.

Tracy
  • Symbol
    Symbol Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi there,

Are you aware you also need to do a 4000 work project and a drafting financial statement exam and also an internal exam to pass technician...

I have nearly finished my technician level (only failed half of the tax paper! :) Thats sods law for you!) and I can tell you from personnel experience it is alot harder and more compacted than foundation and intermediate put together.

As there is only 16 weeks until the exam (unless you have started the course before now) it may be a good idea to just concentrate on PEV and PCR - they are quite big units.

Look on other links as well.... You will find that alot of people failed the section half of PEV and PCR.....

I dont want to put you off; however I worry if you overload yourself by trying to do to much at once you may be worse off in the long run.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
  • cs_1988
    cs_1988 Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Personally, i would do PEV, PCR and DFS in one go.

DFS is fairly easy, very similar to FRA! PEV and PCR are taught from the same text book, so it doesnt "feel" like two exams.

I did BTC and PTC in Jan, then PEV PCR and DFS in June. In regards to the comment above, 16 weeks is more than enough to learn it. I learnt all 3 in 8 weeks, but that was A LOT of work in 8 weeks, so in 16 as long as you do 3-4 hours a week, plenty of time!!

My main tip would to go through ALL of the past papers, not taking to much notice of pre 2006 for dfs as the standards changed, but good practice!!!
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Does anyone know if units 8 & 9 are PEV & PCR?

I think the units we have to do are 8 & 9, 11 (DFS), Unit 10 (Project), Unit 19 (Personal Tax), but it seems each college is different.

I am trying to figure out which are exams, I know DFS and PER are exams but what about PCR is this an exam or assessement.

Also do we have to do IAS (Auditing)?

thanks peeps
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Opps that should say ' I know DFS and PEV are exams'!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    pcr is an exam too. and i think the auditing is a sim, if you choose to do it.

Tracy
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    reddwarf wrote: »
    Does anyone know if units 8 & 9 are PEV & PCR?

I think the units we have to do are 8 & 9, 11 (DFS), Unit 10 (Project), Unit 19 (Personal Tax), but it seems each college is different.

I am trying to figure out which are exams, I know DFS and PER are exams but what about PCR is this an exam or assessement.

Also do we have to do IAS (Auditing)?

thanks peeps

Unit 8 = PEV Exam,
    Unit 9 = PCR Exam,
    Unit 10 = Project
    Unit 11 = DFS Exam

Then you have to chose 2 out of the following four:
    PTC Exam
    BTC Exam
    IAP Skills test
    OCMC Skills test

:thumbup:
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Units 8&9 are Pev and PCR, DFS is Unit 11, 18 is BTC( Business Tax) 19 ins PTC these are all exams, Auditing is a simulation, and Unit 10 is your project.
  • Vics
    Options
    PCR & PEV are exams as are DFS, BTC & PTC.

thats Units 8 & 9 and then 11, 18 and 19. Unit 10 is the project.

Well i was going to do PCR & PEV & BTC this year and do the BTC as a 4 day block but my tutor thinks that UI should do PEV & PCR together and then do DFS, BTC & PTC together.

On the other side I am looking at it that if i do the 3 units for Dec and end up failing ne of them i can re-sit in June.

Just not sure how much work its going to be especially as I am opting to also do the Audit paper on the side. Not sure how intense it will be and whether it is better to sit both take exams together
  • Vics
    Options
    sorry should be Tax exams :)
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    My college did DFS and PCR in December, with CMCC and Auditing between Christmas and Feb half term, then PEV with the option of doing PTC and BTC as an extra class from Feb to June. The Project was all completed in our own time, with Tutorial sessions befor the evening classes. The tax units were done after Christmas are the finance act that is in use change and, if you do fail and need to resit, you don't have to learn new standards.
  • Chris023
    Chris023 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    My college did PCR, PEV & DFS in Dec 08

We started unit 10 project straight after the Dec 08 exams and completed it in late April 09.

We learnt PTC from Jan and did the exam in June 09 & we learnt the Cash Management & Credit Control Simulation from Jan 09 & did this in late March 09.

The theory was, like others have said if we did the three exams in Dec and failed one or more than you could retake in June 09 & for the PTC as the standards change every year, if we failed it in June 09 we can still retake in the Dec and the tax rules would not have changed.
Privacy Policy