PEV & PCR revision

Options
Esme
Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
I'm reading through my workbook for the second time and still finding it hard to take in all the info!

Does anyone recommend any good revision books for these units which may help my understanding?

Comments

• taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    i was exactly the same. i can recommend going through past papers, question by question. i did it this way and eventually by doing question by question you get to understand what the examiner is asking for. if the question stumped me, i looked in my book and re-read that chapter and then attempted the question again.

hope that helps

Tracy
  • dobbieobby
    dobbieobby Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Completey agree with Taskey, I did PCR and PEV in June and passed them both :001_smile: it's just a case of going over and over past exams, the variances REALLY got me, but after about 2 weeks of doing past papers (after 4 months of studying the books) it FINALLY sank in. My advise is to do one section of each exam once a day (starting about a month before the exam). By the time you get back to the first one you did you've forgotten the answers and have to start again. Worked for me anyway!
    Good luck
  • katz568
    katz568 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Arghhh now i'm worrying. I'm starting Technician next week and we were told last night that we are doing PCR and PEV units first with the exams in December so approx 10 weeks study. Think this could be hard going.
    Katrina
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Arghhh now i'm worrying. I'm starting Technician next week and we were told last night that we are doing PCR and PEV units first with the exams in December so approx 10 weeks study. Think this could be hard going.
    Katrina

It can be done, once you know why you are doing something in a certain way it is understandable. once you have cracked the variances you build on that, the main thing is to understand what the variance is all about.

just holler - anyone who has done and passed the exams will help out

you will be fine

Tracy
  • Esme
    Options
    Thanks Taskey and Dobbieobby. I will finish reading through the book again and then start on past exam papers.

I'm pretty sure I was this baffled by FRA last year and it sunk in so I'm sure I'll get there in the end, fingers crossed!
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Esme
    I'll be running study days and revision days prior to the exam, but I would draw your attention to a new development this time.
    The PCR paper for Dec 09 is going to have 2 pro-forma layouts in section 1. This means that you will be given the layouts and expected to use them to answer the question.

I think this could be quite an exciting development, but it does mean that the examiner can expect you to complete the production budget in less time and then ask questions based on the budget.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Esme
    Options
    Hi Sandy, I will definately be attending the revision days. Will they be held in London again, or anywhere in the East?

Is this layout a completely new format for the exam? If it is, is it stll worth looking at past papers?
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Is this layout a completely new format for the exam?
    I don't know any more at this stage.
    There has never been a pro-forma before
    If it is, is it stll worth looking at past papers?
    Yes, but you could ask a friend to print an answer and then delete out/tip-ex the numbers so it would be a homemade pro-forma for you.

I will certainly use pro-formas with my classes which I will have to produce to suit my practice questions.
    Will the revision days be held in London again
    Definitely
    anywhere in the East?
    I don't know
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • dobbieobby
    dobbieobby Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    BRILLIANT idea about getting someone else to tippex out the answers in the proformas from the answer booklet Sandy, why did I never think of that?!
  • Jossie
    Jossie Registered Posts: 11 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Pcr

Hi

Am studying for PCR, but do this myself and have just read Sandy's reply about pro-forma can some explain this to me?. I haven't got a clue. Can some e-mail me a pro-forma?

Please help someone
  • oh confused one
    oh confused one Registered Posts: 128 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Jossie wrote: ยป
    Hi

Am studying for PCR, but do this myself and have just read Sandy's reply about pro-forma can some explain this to me?. I haven't got a clue. Can some e-mail me a pro-forma?

Please help someone

I second this - our tutor is not that good and I am seiously concerned about the PCR exam in Dec
Privacy Policy