Unit 11 old book, good enough?

Options
Wackelli
Wackelli Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
I'm considering retaking Unit 11 this year, since last year didn't go so well. The book i have at the moment is the osborne book Limited Company Accounts (IAS) Tutorail for NVQ Accounting Unit 11, first published in 2005. Looked on amazon and a 2nd revised edition, first published this summer. Says in the description that this new book is good for the exams from June 2010 onwards. What if i'm taking this Exam in December 2009, should i get the new book anyway, or shall i stick with the one i've got now? Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Ell1e
    Ell1e Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I would suggest you give Osbourne a quick ring and get some advice from them.

All I can comment on is we were about to be given old BPP books from last sitting but when we looked at them we found that they were out of date so have to wait for the new versions to come in.
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Osbourne are bound to tell you to buy the new one! Have you tried ordering the revised edition from the library to compare?
  • katz568
    katz568 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    We were told old book for Dec 09 exams, new book for june 10 exams. This was the advice from our tutor as a few people are coming back for retakes in Dec and the rest of the group are not taking unit 11 until June 10.
    Katrina
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Take a look at the AAT Unit Guidance notes.

These givea brief description of what is assessed.

ATM the titles of reports are changing and the IAS14 is not assessed but IFRS 8 replaces it for Dec 09 onwards.

This is what I have done and my book is now fine working alongside these notes as the workings are exactly the same
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Students of DFS will be affected by IAS 1 (revised) which will be examined from December 2009 so make sure your tuition material takes account of this.

In short:

balance sheet now known as 'statement of financial position'
    income statement now known as 'statement of comprehensive income'
    cash flow statement now known as 'statement of cash flows'
    minority interests now known as 'non controlling interests'.

If your tuition material is old it may not take account of this change.

Regards

Steve
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Students of DFS will be affected by IAS 1 (revised) which will be examined from December 2009 so make sure your tuition material takes account of this.

In short:

balance sheet now known as 'statement of financial position'
    income statement now known as 'statement of comprehensive income'
    cash flow statement now known as 'statement of cash flows'
    minority interests now known as 'non controlling interests'.

If your tuition material is old it may not take account of this change.

Regards

Steve

couldnt they have waited till i passed dipolma tut took me years to get used to one name then they go and change it this year of all years

Inventrories ect ect ect
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    We started back thurs, one of the girls had the last year osborne book and from what we looked at it seemed identical. May be a few tweaks but there are plenty of guidance on this website as to what has changed if anything
  • Wackelli
    Wackelli Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Thanks guys. Thats a great help. Going to look into it more and maybe make a phone call or two when i'm feeling more awake tomorrow :)
Privacy Policy