Unit 10 Help

tigger37
tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Hi Guys,

I have talked to my employer about using an accounting system at work for my Unit 10 project, but they do not want to use anything referencing to the company and to keep the company out of it. How am I to do this report if I cannot use my place of work? I was thinking of doing one on our internal controls and the fact we have not had a check of them for several years now.
Has anyone ever done theirs on their employer's internal controls?

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi you could do a simulation
  • tigger37
    Hi,

The person who went through it all with us said the simulation was not very good....
  • troy
    troy Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    There is more than one simulation. They have to have dofferent one's for each person to prevent you from all working together.

Everyone has to do the unit 10, so don't make excuses and just make a start. Those smulations have loads of things for you to pick up on. Read it for yourself and see where you could make improvements.
  • tigger37
    I'm not making excuses - my situation is on thin ice at work at the moment with the site closing down early next year. Half of my role is already starting to transfer out this week to Bratislava and other bits I do are going to both Ireland and Hatfield. Our controls were spot on as we had tight segregation of duties, etc....
    I have now emailed the person who went through the project with us on Thursday to see if she has any ideas.
    The only thing I might have picked up on is that we have not had any internal control checks for about 2 years now.
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    tigger37 wrote: Β»
    Hi Guys,

I have talked to my employer about using an accounting system at work for my Unit 10 project, but they do not want to use anything referencing to the company and to keep the company out of it.

To me the solution is simple!

your employer is happy for you to do your project on your company, but it does not want to be identified in that projet.

that's fine - just change the company's name into a ficticious one and change the names of the direcectors, and people working in the accounting department to the names of students in your class!

Get the agreement from your work's manager/mentor and I am sure that your tutor will be more then happy to accomodate any arrangment that you come up with.

you will have to get your work's manager to authorise your project, but if you keep your your tuor informed at every satge of your project writing, and get him to act as your mentor then your tutor can authenticate your project.

hope this helps in your decision
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I have to say that I really wanted to do something based on my office, but actually it was really difficult, simply because there aren't enough of us (only 2 office based).

I was very reluctant to do a simulation, thinking 'how can there possibly be enough evidence in a simulation', but I have to say I was astonished at how much I was provided with.

I handed my first draft in 2 weeks ago and had only analysed three or four areas out of the seven I could identify.

In the end I had to keep editing my report to get back down nearer 4000 words, and still went in about 100 over target.

Honestly, simulations are a good option. You aren't involved either and I think that gives you a claritiy of vision that you don't have at work, too.

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
Privacy Policy