What digital camera?!

PGM
PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I know theres a good few people on the site with an interest in photography. Wondered if anyone has good buying advice, looking for an entry level DSLR (around £600), and can't decide between Canon or Nikon, and then Sony is apparently very good..

I'm not good when given too many decisions....

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    My husband is really into photography, uses a Nikon and is very happy with it.

He also said he would have been happy with a Canon.

The choice is yours!
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    out of the two i do prefer Nikon!!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    The best thing to do is first check for reviews on a sponsored site such as:

http://www.cameras.co.uk/

... then check the same cameras on Amazon for customer reviews to see how biased or not the former might be. You'd be surprised how wildly they can sometimes differ but I guess a magazine will only test for hours whereas the customer will test for much longer. The latter will thus highlight faults which might only appear after weeks and months (or minutes in the case of most Samsung products).
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Several of us in my office have entry level Nikon DSLRs (D40/D40x/D60/D300) and are all happy with them.
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    I have nikon, my sister who did photography at college had nikon and my grandfather who's hobby was photography always had nikon or minota.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Thanks all for the advice! Definitely sounds like Nikon is the more popular choice. I currently have a compact Nikon and its very good for what it is, and I think I'll make the step up to an entry level Nikon DSLR, get an adaptor and make use of my old lenses.

Cheers all.
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Something to bear in mind is that you dont need an adapter for old SLR lenses on the smaller Nikons(D40/D40X etc.), however the flipside of this is you are restricted to AF-S lenses if you want autofocus capability. The reason behind this is the motors for these models are in the lense, not the camera to keep the body size down.
Privacy Policy