ECR Dec 07 Task 1.3

Options
jewels.p
jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I am trying to do the Dec 07 Exam Paper and am stuck on Task 1.3b. I looked at this and dont have a clue!

I am finding W.I.P quite difficult to grasp. On W.I.P is the Direct Materials used always 100% and the labour part complete?

I printed a page off that Sandy Hood had done for "a cool cat" and thought I understood it from this but then looked at this question and was back to square one.

Anyone else struggling with this?

Comments

• SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Task 1.3
    (a) Calculate the total cost of direct labour for solvent S789 for November.
    Normal time hours worked 260 hours
    Overtime at time and a half worked 40 hours
    Overtime at double time worked 30 hours
    Total hours worked 330 hours
    Normal time hourly rate £10 per hour

Total hours 330 x £10 = £3,300
    extra half 40 hrs x £5 = £200
    double hrs 30 hrs x £10 = £300

Total cost £3,800

(b) Opening work in progress Nil
    Finished output to next process 7,000 litres
    Closing work in progress 1,200 litres
    Degree of completion – direct materials 100%
    Degree of completion – direct labour 50%

Equivalent output = 7,000 litres + (50% x 1,200 litres) = 7,600
    calculate the direct labour cost per litre of solvent S789 of the equivalent finished production.

£3,800/7,600 litres = £0.50 per litre
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    On W.I.P is the Direct Materials used always 100% and the labour part complete?

Generally but not necessarily

If you came into my kitchen 1 hr before lunch there might be chicken in the oven, so if I don't intend to add any more ingredients before serving it the material would be 100% complete, but the labour would be only 60% complete (I've prepared the chicken before cooking) but 40% of my work comes after it comes out cooked - carving etc

So that chicken (1 hr short of being cooked) is 100% complete for materials and 60% complete for labour.

Any help?
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    SandyHood wrote: »
    On W.I.P is the Direct Materials used always 100% and the labour part complete?

Generally but not necessarily

If you came into my kitchen 1 hr before lunch there might be chicken in the oven, so if I don't intend to add any more ingredients before serving it the material would be 100% complete, but the labour would be only 60% complete (I've prepared the chicken before cooking) but 40% of my work comes after it comes out cooked - carving etc

So that chicken (1 hr short of being cooked) is 100% complete for materials and 60% complete for labour.

Any help?

As always you explained it brilliantly. Thanks for that
Privacy Policy