Another Sage Question!

bigmuggsy
bigmuggsy Registered Posts: 92 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi

Further to my queiry yesterday I've another one...

When I print a TB through Sage for our client the majority of the expenses are credits! The previous accountant done the year end procedure - have they done something wrong? On looking at the nominal activity the balances don't appear to have cleared which, looking at the help pages, should be done automatically.

Any help would be much appreciated and advice on how to rectify.

Thanks

Comments

• Pinkjo
    Pinkjo Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    Do you know whether the year end procedure has actually been done on Sage?
  • bigmuggsy
    Hi

Yes as far as I know it has. I assume once the year end is done all expense balances should revert to zero? Thats why I assume it hasnt been done properly.
  • Kecak
    Kecak Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Click on Settings > Financial Year --> the month+year in this screen will show you what the current START date is. Is it when you'd expect your current financial year to start?

Go to Modules > Financials --> Click on Trial to run the TB.
    Run the TB for 'Brought Forward' (above period 1 at the top of the criteria list).
    --> Does it only show Balance Sheet codes or has the previous P+L not been cleared?

Another way to check if/when the year end was performed would be to set up a search in Financials for journals showing 'Ledger Year End' in the Details column.
    (Financials > Search > the search should read 'Where Details Is Equal To Ledger Year End')

Or check the activity on the Retained Earnings nominal code for the year end journals. (Typically it's going to be 3200, but you can check in Settings > Control Accounts > Retained Earnings

Also, if someone had previously run a Clear Audit Trail in the middle of a financial year, this could also cause some big problems with regards to your TB figures in Sage.

If you need any more help, maybe give Sage a call if you've got support with them.
  • bigmuggsy
    Thanks for your help.

When I process the TB b/f the P&L figures are still shown. I assume therefore it hasn't been processed properly. Should they have ticked 'Archive Company Data Before Year End' perhaps?
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    What has happened is when the year end procedure was run, the program date was not changed to match the year end.

it's hard to explain but what has happened is,

Say y/e is 31/12/08.

if the year end procedure isn't ran unitl 31/03/09, which can (and does) happen there will be some trasncations posted between 31/12/08 and 31/03/09.

When the year end procedure was ran and the program date wasn't changed it will "reverse" all the transcations between 31/12/08 to 31/03/09 aswell, even if you state the year end journals should be posted as 31/12/08.
  • Kecak
    Kecak Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    1st thing - You only need to tick 'archive before YE' if you want to make a copy of the database at that moment in time.

AK002 - It doesn't matter if there are postings beyond your year end date. The YE process only looks at whatever the 12-months are from the start date in the program at the moment you run the year end option. If you're on one of the latest versions of the program (I think it's something like v13 onwards), it definitely won't include the 01/01/09 - 31/03/09 transactions in any of the clear-down journals.

When you set the YE journal posting date, all that does is sets the date used for the actual journals...the balances on the journals will only consist of the 12 months from the start date.
  • AK002
    What version of sage the OP is using?
  • bigmuggsy
    Its Sage Line 50 2008

Thanks
  • AK002
    OK then go with what Kecak was saying..
Privacy Policy