Distance Learning

Options
emmaj
emmaj Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm looking to start the intermediate stage of the AAT qualification and was wondering if anyone could give me advise on which company would be best for distance learning. I completed the first level at Kaplan in Bristol but was unhappy with the service I received I had a few problems with them, are they any better at distance learning?

Thanks,
Emz

Comments

• Karen L
    Karen L Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Distance learning isn't easy at the best of times especially if you don't feel like you have support.
    I was at college for the first year and then with BPP via distance learning for the intermediate and technician level - sometimes had trouble getting responses but never any trouble with the tutors. Those that I dealt with seemed to be very fair and if there were issues with any part of the study they got answers back to you. I also found the text books to be very clear and therefore easy to follow through.

I appreciate there could be other responses either agreeing or not, but from my perspective this was a good choice for me.

Hope you find the right route for you ...
  • emmaj
    Options
    Hi Karen, thank you for your help. I'm quite good when it comes to studying. I usually spend my lunch breaks at work studying, that way I can normally ask the guys at work any queries I may have. I think my only choice is distance learning, mainly due to price but also, I can't really take any time out of the office for the lessons. Will have to have a look into it all. x
  • Karen L
    Karen L Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I was in a similar position - my previous workplace were not able to allow me to keep going to college therefore home study was my only choice - worked out ok in the end though!

BPP worked out about £600 for each level, this included the revision book and work book, passcards (pretty useful little things - handbag size!) and folders. Not badly priced in comparison with other study providers. It is always worth shopping around though.

With home study, make sure you know where you can sit the exams ... a list of centres are on the AAT website, I seem to recall...

Good luck !
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi, I have also been studying via distance learning with BPP for Foundation, Intermediate & Technician and my own personal experience hasn't been good. I've really had a lot of problems with their customer service - obtaining tutor support, and information about how to book & undertake simulations and the unit 10 project. They've also lost work I've submitted for marking, and I have often had to re-send things.

On the plus side I have found their books and study material fine, and the cost for distance learning is reasonable.

Will you be able to sit simulations at your workplace? If not check the availability of dates/times and any cost to sit them at BPP or whoever you decide to use.
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hey Em,

Check out www.premiertraining.co.uk

I've been studying with them for just over a year and haven't had a single problem. The tutors are on hand most nights til 8 o'clock and work is returned quickly.

I studied the foundation with them and passed and now am onto intermediate heading for the exam in December. The intermediate course is costing me around £500 paid in 4 installments interest free! In the pack you get your osbourne workbooks, study schedule tailored for you, a few other bits regarding the AAT, practice exams, registration into the premier training website VIP lounge (I haven't used yet, but meant to be good) and a folder to keep everything together.

I'm going to stay with them all the way through my AccA/CimA aswell.

Check 'em out
  • gillwilson
    gillwilson Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I agree with SteveJ. I am also with premier training and I think they are great. The books they use - Osbourne are easy to use. I would highly recommend.
  • hztm
    hztm Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi,
    I am studying with Eagle Education and have no complaints. I started straight on Intermediate level and it cost around £650 (including Sage and all the skills tests). However, they include the study budy alongside the Osbourne books. The study budy is a large ring bound manual that guides you through the material - you are told to read certain sections of the Osbourne books, you are given extra activities to do as you go along and topics are summarised in a very clear manner - I think this is excellent and has allowed me to progress pretty fast. I am currently working on Unit 5 and am finding it all really easy to grasp using the study budy arrangement. I started about three months ago and hope to take the exam in December. I have been assigned a tutor who rang me to arrange a study schedule and responds fast to any questions. So far I am very impressed.
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi.

I also do distance learning with Premier Training. I've completed Foundation and am just waiting for my last test to be marked and that is Intermediate done. I've started studying Technician with them as well and can't fault them.

Homework is returned quickly and e-mails are replied to quickly as well. They work late 2 nights a week which is nice if you get stuck and need to phone them.
  • emmaj
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice. When you learn with Premier training, are you limited to where you can take your exams? Also can do you have to go to a test centre to take the skills test or can you sit them in a controlled enviroment say at work?
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I take my skills tests at work. I use a managers office when they are off. My boss has signed a letter saying he will take responsibilty for me and check on me etc. The test gets sent to him and he locks it away until the day!

You will have to find an exam centre that accepts external students. I go to London SAM.
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I done my foundation at the London SMA. Ill be booking my FRA at the end of October.

You can take your skills test at work, a library etc.

Well worth a look...
  • sharonj
    sharonj Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    emmaj wrote: »
    Thank you for all your advice. When you learn with Premier training, are you limited to where you can take your exams? Also can do you have to go to a test centre to take the skills test or can you sit them in a controlled enviroment say at work?

Hi emmaj

It doesn't matter where you take your exams as a lot of colleges accept external students. When you go to book an exam online it gives you a list of colleges for external students and you can just pick from the list. I'm studying the advanced certificate at the moment with Premier Training and planning on taking my FRA exam this Christmas at the London SAM but I also have a local college near where I live that you can take it too. The best thing to do if you're worried is to give the AAT a ring (their telephone number is on the main webpage that you first come to when logging in under the contact us heading at the botttom of the page) and they will be able to give you an idea of centres in your area where you can sit exams as an external student, or alternatively, if you live near the distance providers head office, you can also usually sit it there.
  • emmaj
    Options
    Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply, things have been a bit manic around here as we bought a puppy home last week.

Thank you for all your advice, it's very much appreciated as it's such a big step doing distance learning. I will probably go with either accountancy plus or eagle, just need to speak to my manager about them.

Thanks again!
    Em x
Privacy Policy