VAT Online for Agents - HMRC website

awwallace22awwallace22 Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 35
Hi ,

Has anyone registered for this service yet?

I was going to set up a number of my clients so that I could send their VAT returns online, but came accross a stumbling point. Is it right that the Agent has to be VAT registered to enable this service. If so that counts me out! Im already registered for VAT Registration (apply for registration on behalf of clients) and all the other online services, seems daft not to be able to send a VAT return online!

Let me know your experiences!

Thanks

Comments

  • deanshepherddeanshepherd Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,809
    Yes, this is a known problem which HMRC are supposed to be resolving 'at some point'. When that will be is anyone's guess!
  • SueSue Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    The latest news I have read was that non VAT registered Agents should be able to file VAT returns for Clients online by April 2010 and HMRC were hoping to make it available before the end of 2009.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Has anyone loads of info on this as i would like to get my manager to start it to save time
  • deanshepherddeanshepherd Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,809
    Sue wrote: »
    The latest news I have read was that non VAT registered Agents should be able to file VAT returns for Clients online by April 2010 and HMRC were hoping to make it available before the end of 2009.

    I would put my money on it not being available by the end of 2009. I would put your money on it not being available by April 2010!
  • SueSue Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    Not sure I would put my money on anything as far as HMRC are concerned!!

    In one place I have read they ‘ guarantee’ it to be ready for April 2010 and in other they ‘plan’ to be in time for April 2010.
  • lorrainelorraine Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 400
    I have tried to register but it didn't work for some reason! I will try again when I get the chance! - it's annoying these things should be easier to use....
  • VonniVonni Feels At Home Registered Posts: 63
    Hi the Accountants I work for, with their clients approval, register the individual or business and file returns on their behalf - we then email the acknowledgement to our client advising of the VAT liability or repayment - and the date that it will clear their nominated bank account.

    If you have a 64-8 in place as an agent you can speak to HMR&C on behalf of your client to obtain the effective date on the registration certificate, and as you probably already do your client's VAT you will no doubt already have details required from the last VAT return submitted.

    This appears to work very well for us and is something that I now use for my own portfolio of private clients as I'm not VAT registered.
  • deanshepherddeanshepherd Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,809
    So you have to log in with different details every time you want to file a VAT return?
  • VonniVonni Feels At Home Registered Posts: 63
    Yes you do which is a bit of a pain but it does mean that you can provide the service of on line filing for your clients without being VAT registered. To be honest I have no idea why my employer uses this option as they're VAT registered so could easily register as an agent to provide this service ... I must make a point of asking.
  • SueSue Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    Hi Dean

    Any chance that bet is still available??????

    Sue
  • jiltjilt Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,903
    Sue wrote: »
    Hi Dean

    Any chance that bet is still available??????

    Sue

    Thanks Sue, just got my reference number
  • PoodlePoodle Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 711
    Vonni wrote: »
    Hi the Accountants I work for, with their clients approval, register the individual or business and file returns on their behalf - we then email the acknowledgement to our client advising of the VAT liability or repayment - and the date that it will clear their nominated bank account.

    If you have a 64-8 in place as an agent you can speak to HMR&C on behalf of your client to obtain the effective date on the registration certificate, and as you probably already do your client's VAT you will no doubt already have details required from the last VAT return submitted.

    This appears to work very well for us and is something that I now use for my own portfolio of private clients as I'm not VAT registered.

    You might like to review this since I do believe that there is some sort of problem embedded in VAT legislation that does not cover you as an agent if you submit in this way. Something to do with the electronic signature.

    Anyway they need to resolve this by the 1st April because of the compulsary requirements for filing on line for new VAT registrations and those with a T/O in excess of £100K
  • deanshepherddeanshepherd Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,809
    All bets are off!!!
  • jiltjilt Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,903
    All bets are off!!!

    Spoilsport!
  • SueSue Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    Although we could be speaking too soon. There's still a chance it will fail when we start registering Clients!
  • jiltjilt Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,903
    Sue wrote: »
    Although we could be speaking too soon. There's still a chance it will fail when we start registering Clients!

    Yep did think that myself
  • SueSue Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    Hi Jilt

    Looks like I spoke too soon!!!

    Has your Agent Number for VAT been activated yet?

    Sue
  • jiltjilt Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,903
    I'll check later, too busy at present I'm afraid.
  • SueSue Well-Known Registered Posts: 217
    Don't worry about checking, problem now sorted.
  • jiltjilt Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,903
    Sue wrote: »
    Don't worry about checking, problem now sorted.

    Great stuff thanks for that
  • PoodlePoodle Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 711
    From the 23rd November practicioners trading below the VAT threshold no longer had to be VAT registered in order to to file VAT returns online.

    Has anyone deregistered for VAT since then and then encountered problems with filing their clients VAT returns?

    Also, would you say that an email from a client is sufficient to act as a declaration by the client confirming the content of a VAT return? Or do you all insist on an actual signature as confirmation before submitting a VAT return as an agent? (condition 46.7 of HMR&C's T&C's for online filing)
  • deanshepherddeanshepherd Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,809
    Sometimes I don't even get a confirmation email back!

    I certainly wouldn't get the client to manually sign anything. Defeats the point.
Sign In or Register to comment.