OCMC Unit 15 ratios and cash flow

Options
rob.woolhouse@yahoo.co.uk
rob.woolhouse@yahoo.co.uk Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
Hi,

Does anyone have an effective way of remembering all of the accounting ratios (i.e. liquidity, gearing etc.). In my FTC Kaplan text there are about 20 formulae listed, and despite reading them over and over again I can't get them all to stick in my head. Perhaps someone's come up with a clever mnemonic or trick I haven't seen yet. On the other hand, would some of them not be tested in a sim ?

On another note, as I wish to take a simulation in a couple of weeks I've spent about 6-7 hours this week trying to complete just the cash-flow section of a practice sim sent to me by my distance learning company (FTC). There are incomplete data, figures which don't make sense and grammatical errors throughout, which have meant a great deal of rework.

Is this something others have encountered ? Are there any better companies to be recommended if I finally make it onto Technician stage ?

Thanks,

RW

Comments

• *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi, I did this sim with Kaplan and yes you will find various errors in the books etc. I just emailed or called them about everyone I found (I like to be persistant in being a pain). There's a site called bized that I found really useful for the ratio's. I struggled big time with these and no doubt will again as they also feature in MAC which i'm doing now and in DFS later.

I found the way to get them to sink in was to re do every ratio workout I could find whether from Kaplan or on the bized site. Other people may have a better way but with me i have to actually do the workings to make them sink in.

I've stuck with Kaplan for Diploma level as all the companies seem much of a much ness and I've found some Kaplan tutors and adminstrators that are really helpful now. Don't want to step out of the frying pan into the fire.

Best of luck with your sim.

Jo
  • rob.woolhouse@yahoo.co.uk
    rob.woolhouse@yahoo.co.uk Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Thanks, Jo, for your advice

Hi, I did this sim with Kaplan and yes you will find various errors in the books etc. I just emailed or called them about everyone I found (I like to be persistant in being a pain).

I suppose I should moan at them too considering how much I've paid out !

There's a site called bized that I found really useful for the ratio's. I struggled big time with these and no doubt will again as they also feature in MAC which i'm doing now and in DFS later.

Thankyou, found it, and it looks useful.

I found the way to get them to sink in was to re do every ratio workout I could find whether from Kaplan or on the bized site. Other people may have a better way but with me i have to actually do the workings to make them sink in.

I've stuck with Kaplan for Diploma level as all the companies seem much of a much ness and I've found some Kaplan tutors and adminstrators that are really helpful now. Don't want to step out of the frying pan into the fire.

They have been pretty good overall. It's just rather frustrating when you've spent a couple of hours neatly writing answers ready to send off and realise a single wrong figure messes it all up !

Best of luck with your sim.

Thanks, Rob

Jo
Privacy Policy