Double entry for Loyalty Card free product

imeldabye
imeldabye Registered Posts: 147 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Does anyone know how to acccount for: mobile coffee van offers Caffe Nero style cards - once a card has 9 stamps the 10th coffee is free of charge. How would you acccount for the free coffees?
thanks

Comments

• MILLY21
    MILLY21 Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    Why would you wish to perform an entry for a free item?? Have i mis-understood you?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Unless accounting for the discount not sure ?????
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Who is the coffee for and what are the circumstances? this will decipher whether this is an allowable expense....

Also I wouldn't myself account for the free one - I think it would be unneccessary work!
  • Julia Crouch
    Julia Crouch Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    You could ignore the free coffee and then the cost would just get included in with the cost of sales mix at the point of a stock take. But I would suggest that some one keeps some sort of record if only as a marketing tool.

Or you could write off the cost of each cup as a business expense.

But if the business is VAT registered then you should have a peek at this because that would mean that you would have to take the second option.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/charging/discounts-etc.htm
  • imeldabye
    imeldabye Registered Posts: 147 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    yes that is why i want to account for it- as it is a marketing expense, the 10th coffee is given FOC in return for the customer buying 10 coffees.
  • Raging Pineapples
    Raging Pineapples Registered Posts: 110 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I don't know about you, but I would do this:

Standard Coffee sale:
    DR "BANK"
    CR "SALES" (obviously :) )

Complimentary Coffee:
    DR "Discounts -> 10th Cup Free"
    CR "SALES"

That way you can pull off the balance of the "Discounts -> 10th Cup Free" for management accounting purposes, but it gets lumped in as a business expense and therefore cancels out your sale. You may want to rename that account to anything, but I'd prefer to use a sub-account if your accounting system supports them.
Privacy Policy