DS Lite vs PSP

Options
blobbyh
blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Today, I went to cancel one of my phone contracts and was offered a downgrade to 100 minutes and 100 texts for £5 a month plus a choice of either a free DS Lite or a free PSP. Sounds a pretty good deal to me and my kids already have both consoles between them - thus it'll become mine - but any opinions as to which one I should go for? What are the killer games for each one?

Comments

• Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi Blobby,
    Don't know much about the games, but the general view seems to be that PSPs are better for older teens/men & the DS is more suitable for younger kids. I'd do some research into the games - my lot love shoot 'em ups. They also use the PSP for the net when they can't be bothered to start up their pooters.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Its gotta be DS for brain train - well you getting older robert you have to somehow keep the brain matter working lmao
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Surely that would be locking the stable door after the horse has bolted!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    CJC wrote: »
    Surely that would be locking the stable door after the horse has bolted!

LOL!!!

I've never used either tbh... don't really like the whole small gaming, pisch graphics, small screen etc.

Give me a 360 and a 40" telly any day lol
  • blobbyh
    Options
    AK002 wrote: »
    Give me a 360 and a 40" telly any day lol

I'm sure Scouse Mark's got a few "liberated" ones somewhere in his garden shed...
  • A-Vic
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    I'm sure Scouse Mark's got a few "liberated" ones somewhere in his garden shed...

Meowww :p
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Well I know he can't help it, it's just in the bloodline originating from that part of the country...
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Sounds a pretty good deal to me and my kids already have both consoles between them - thus it'll become mine - but any opinions as to which one I should go for?

What kind of games do you like? I get a lot of use out of my DS, but I knew I would as I've always been a fan of the Final Fantasy and Pokemon game series', and the Brain Training style games are really good. Visual novels/point-and-click adventure/puzzle games are also a DS strong point: the Phoenix Wright series (courtroom drama) and Professor Layton (detective) series for example.

Also, I tend to prefer the DS on the grounds of practicality: the battery life is much better and the design tends to mean the screen is less prone to accidental damage (as its folded away when not in use).
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options

ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............cheeky !!!!!!!

oh yeh by the way out of them two if you just want it to have a little bit of fun on then the ds lite is the one but if you want it for real gaming then choose the psp ! but i think the PSP is going backwards !!unlike the ds lite !
  • sharonj
    sharonj Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I'd go for the ds lite as you can play professor layton on that one. I've got the new game that came out recently. It's basically brain teaser type questions and puzzles but set out to solve a mystery at the same time. I'm addicted. Too busy playing that on the train on the way to work when I should be revising for up coming AAT exams.....not good!
  • mark130273
    Options
    sharonj wrote: »
    I'd go for the ds lite as you can play professor layton on that one. I've got the new game that came out recently. It's basically brain teaser type questions and puzzles but set out to solve a mystery at the same time. I'm addicted. Too busy playing that on the train on the way to work when I should be revising for up coming AAT exams.....not good!

how far have you got on the new professer one !!!! ive done 105 puzzles and dont know how many more to go !
  • sharonj
    sharonj Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    not far at all, only had it a week, think I've done about 20 odd, nowhere near 100 yet. I know the last Professor Layton game I spent over 20 hours playing it to complete it. It's so addictive. I love it.
  • blobbyh
    Options
    I don't want a game that'll keep me awake at night - been there, done that - and I'm not as much of a gamer now as I was a few years ago. Wasted literally hundreds of hours with Super Mario Kart (SNES version), Bomberman (I was world class at that!) and Worms (the first one): probably the best two player games ever IMO.

I'll probably go for the PSP as the games tend to be more put-downable and less addictive, just a quick blast on Burnout or similar will do.
  • Bookworm55
    Options
    Super Mario Kart (SNES version)

I remember that game! Actually, Mario Kart DS is excellent...
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    soooooo many wasted hours in Ireland playing MarioKart with my niece. Love that you can link the consoles and play together.

Hating Professor layton at the moment, I am completely stumped on one of the puzzles and it is driving me nuts. I am now dreaming about the bloody thing
  • A-Vic
    Options
    soooooo many wasted hours in Ireland playing MarioKart with my niece. Love that you can link the consoles and play together.

Hating Professor layton at the moment, I am completely stumped on one of the puzzles and it is driving me nuts. I am now dreaming about the bloody thing

Time to give it up and do ya VAT lmao
  • Bookworm55
    Options

You jest, but a background in gaming can prove invaluable in a wide range of accounting situations. So many games and linear programming/profit maximisation exercises are largely an exercise in solving the Knapsack Problem and/or the Travelling Salesman problem. Really: I had an assessed exercise in an interview last week which was essentially the Knapsack Problem and I aced it because I'd done it thousands of times in games. The reverse is also true. I managed to make huge profits on GTA: Chinatown Wars simply by working out where the best profit margins were to be had on drug deals.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »

It is nearly done! Once it's done I will be back to getting my head around Gilts, it's just not clicking. Although Professor Layton is just as frustrating. Think I need another holiday to Italy
  • mark130273
    Options
    I don't want a game that'll keep me awake at night - been there, done that - and I'm not as much of a gamer now as I was a few years ago. Wasted literally hundreds of hours with Super Mario Kart (SNES version), Bomberman (I was world class at that!) and Worms (the first one): probably the best two player games ever IMO.

I'll probably go for the PSP as the games tend to be more put-downable and less addictive, just a quick blast on Burnout or similar will do.

loved bomberman !!!
  • Mark.Tiffen
    Mark.Tiffen Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I have PSP and DS-Lite, both equally good machine although the Ds has won over the PSP, even with loads of games it is big and cumbersome, the DS can sit in the pocket easily and helps me while away many hours stood in shop doorways whilst waiting for the GF, also the standby feature is brilliant, if you close the lid the game suspends until you open it up again!
Privacy Policy