Att exam tomorrow - to go or not?

Options
Pigpen
Pigpen Registered Posts: 331 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Ok - I have revised and revised for this but the information just isn't going in

take a look at May's paper http://www.att.org.uk/index.pl?section=16&n=200

I can do all the nuts and bolts stuff but the complex parts just blow my mind - Has anyone done this exam ?

It seems the 3 hours allowed are often not enough for both parts and frankly I am now at a loss as to what to do - Half of me thinks that I should give it a go and the other wants to run away and forget about it all

Any words of wisdom?

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Sorry I have not done ATT although it is a plan for the future.

I am though very much of the opinion that you should try.

If you don't try you have NOT passed. So why not try and at least have some chance of passing?

Mostly I find people worry and when it comes to it you can remember enough to achieve a pass. If you know a good amount then I would certainly say go for it. Running away certainly won't pass the exam!

Best of luck!
    Regards,

Burg
  • Pigpen
    Options
    Thanks Burg - I know you are right - Its just that I returned to study after quite a few years and managed to do my AAT reasonably painlessly passing all my exams first time but this one has really knocked my confidence - The urge to run away from it, the fear of the unkown and the biggest fear "failure" are overwhelming me at the moment.

Thanks for your support tho
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi Gill,

It's paid for and you've worked hard for it so I'm with Burg on this you may as well go and sit it.

So if you are unlucky and don't manage enough marks for a pass it doesn't make 'you' a failure, far from it, just think how good you'll feel if you do pass.

Give it a go girl, best of luck.

Jill
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    I performed similarly at AAT and then went onto ACCA, before I left to start my practice.

I decided to sit three exams at the first sitting and then also had doubts when it came to the exams. I decided to sit and passed 2 out of the 3. Just failed law (which I just couldn't get into).

I am like you in that I hate failure but, I consider it more of a failure to run away. Sorry that sounds harsh! I felt a little the same quitting ACCA to be an MIP but in the end decided it was a bigger step forward for me.

You won't go anywhere by running away. If you want to pass you will have to sit the exam eventually. Even if you don't pass you will learn more by attempting than not.

Again, Best of luck
    Regards,

Burg
  • Pigpen
    Options
    Hi Jill - I knew that's what you would say - Lol - But have you looked at the past papers and suggested answers? - If I do this I am not sure I will do any more!

Think I may have bitten off more than I can chew

If anyone sees a woman looking a little deranged and sobbing, hanging round Reading station tomorrow - That will be me !
  • Pigpen
    Options
    Burg - You are right of course and I am intending to become an MIP and could do so already but I just felt I wanted to get a little more insight into taxation which is why i chose to do this course (regretting it just at this moment in time!)

Still - I paid for it so I may as well do it - I guess

Thanks for your help - I will give it a go ( I think)
  • jilt
    Options
    Pigpen wrote: Β»
    If I do this I am not sure I will do any more!

Oh yes you will, you're doing advanced business tax with me don't forget!
    Pigpen wrote: Β»
    Think I may have bitten off more than I can chew

In all seriousness if you really don't think you've done enough then dont sit it, only you know how much you've done. In the short space of time you've had there is a lot to cover, but if even a little bit of you thinks you may pass then you should sit it.

Best of luck whatever you decide, and I won't think you a wuss if you decide to pull out :lol:
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Good luck if you choose to sit it. Hopefully you will surprise yourself and will have learned and remembered more than you realise. Easy for me to say but try not to panic and stay calm.
  • Pigpen
    Options
    Thanks Guys for all your support - I am gonna give it a bash - I don't hold out much hope but fingers crossed.

I will log on tomorrow afternoon for tea (or vodka) and sympathy! willjust be glad when its all over

Watch this space!

Happy Birthday by the way - F&41!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    GOod luck :)
  • Pigpen
    Options
    Ok guys - I went - I was like a rabbit caught in the headlights - But I resisted the urge to run away altho it was very tempting !

The exam - Hideous - The parts I managed to do I did well but some stuff I had never even heard of - Not holding out much hope but am very proud of myself for going

Thanks for all your support

Large glass or two of wine with me dinner this evening me thinks !
  • MILLY21
    MILLY21 Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I've had times like you have when I have though I'm not going to sit the exam so I know how you must have felt yesterday and all I can say is well done you for giving it a go, you should be proud of yourself for going.

I hope you pass, so well done you!
  • Pigpen
    Options
    Cheers Milly - Appreciate it
  • jilt
    Options
    Well done Gill, enjoy your dinner!!
  • fatandforty
    Options
    Well done for being so brave. It's out of the way now and who knows you may pass with what you did well on. If not at least it was experience.

I think you deserve the whole bottle tonight!!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    well done for having a go piggy :)
  • Pigpen
    Options
    Cheers Hammy - ! (If thats a hamster?)

Just as well I don't take offence to being called piggy ! lol

" I think you deserve the whole bottle tonight!! " - Cheers fandF - I think you may be right - However after half the bottle I think I may be unconscious - Brain needs sleep!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    o ok sorry MISS PIGGY :lol:
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Do you get exemptions from ATT for doing the AAT business tax exam? I always thought yuo did but had a look @ kaplan & ATTs websites and can't see anything that says so!
  • Pigpen
    Options
    Yes you can apply for an exemption from unit 2 if you have passed Bus Tax at AAT level - But you have to pay for it - I think its about Β£60 or Β£70
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Well done Jill, at least you had a go at it and if you weren't successful this time(fingers crossed you were) at least you know what to expect next time.
    Have a extra glass of wine for being soooo brave!!!
  • Pigpen
    Options
    Cheers FG you little devil you - I have had that extra glass and it was jolly nice thanks - now time for bed - night night - At least thats my exams over for this year
  • fatandforty
    Options
    How's your head this morning??
  • Pigpen
    Options
    Yep - Amazingly clear - perhaps its because that massive weight is off my shoulders - Didn't sleep soundly tho cos I have a rubbish cough tnat wakes me up but so far today all is well
  • jilt
    Options
    Hi Gill, now you've got over the shock what were the things in the exam that you'd not heard of?
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Did you take any tax legislation into the exams? It says you can take them in but my tolleys legislation is about 12000 pages and i just wondered if many people actually bother taking the books into the exam?
Privacy Policy