ECR December 2008 Help please

Options
jewels.p
jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I have been trying the past exam papers and did the Dec 08 one a few weeks ago. I am looking through it and I got Section 2 Task 2.1 wrong for the Sales Revenue Figures. It should be £2950,000 for 6000 miles and £3400,000 for 7000 miles. How do you get these figures? I figured it out at the time when I got it wrong but now have a total mind blank.
The Sales Revenue for 5000 miles is £2500,000

Thanks

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Jewels i did this exam but forgot what i did any chance can you post the whole question
  • jewels.p
    Options
    Hi A-Vic,

It is a table you have to fill in to calculate the profit per mile. It gives you all the figures for flying 5000 miles and asks you to calculate the figures if 6000 miles or 7000 miles were flown instead of the 5000. That probably doesnt help you at all lol!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Ive managed to load this paper i remeber this had us all stumped will see if i can dig out my notes tonight as at work at the min sorry cant be much help till then
  • jewels.p
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »
    Ive managed to load this paper i remeber this had us all stumped will see if i can dig out my notes tonight as at work at the min sorry cant be much help till then

Cheers A-Vic x
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Read the question carefully
    Remember sales revenue = miles flown x price
    Can you see the miles flown AND the rate per mile for each level?
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • jewels.p
    Options
    SandyHood wrote: »
    Remember sales revenue = miles flown x price
    Can you see the miles flown AND the rate per mile for each level?

I divided the Miles (5000) x the Sales Revenue for the 5000 miles (£2500) which gave me 2 then divided the 6000 miles by this figure to get £3000 which is wrong as it should be £2950 for the 6000 miles

For the 7000 miles I did the same and got £3500 when it should be £3400!
  • Melt
    Melt Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I did this one recently too - doesn't it say that there's a 10% discount offered for every mile over 5000?
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    • The company chartering the flights has negotiated with F4L a reduction of 10% per mile, paid on all miles flown in excess of the 5,000 miles agreed in the original contract.

I made the original price per mile £500 because I saw that the columns were in £000s
    And £2,500,000
    .... 5,000 miles
    = £500 (or 0.5 x £1000)

Then I recognised that any contract for over 5,000 miles would be charged at 10% less. 10% of £500 is £50, so the charge would be £450 per mile (or 0.45 x 1000)

If you then multiply this AMOUNT PER MILE by the MILES FLOWN you should find the correct revenue.

Now I'll adopt my teacher role, you must read the question AND answer what the examiner has asked.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • jewels.p
    Options
    SandyHood wrote: »
    • The company chartering the flights has negotiated with F4L a reduction of 10% per mile, paid on all miles flown in excess of the 5,000 miles agreed in the original contract.

I made the original price per mile £500 because I saw that the columns were in £000s
    And £2,500,000
    .... 5,000 miles
    = £500 (or 0.5 x £1000)

Then I recognised that any contract for over 5,000 miles would be charged at 10% less. 10% of £500 is £50, so the charge would be £450 per mile (or 0.45 x 1000)

If you then multiply this AMOUNT PER MILE by the MILES FLOWN you should find the correct revenue.

Now I'll adopt my teacher role, you must read the question AND answer what the examiner has asked.

I get it now! Considering myself told off Sandy. I am going to have to read the questions carefully in the exam as in my Assignments I have sent off for marking that is the comments I keep getting. "READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY" I am going to drum it in my head before the 30th. As usual thanks a lot.
Privacy Policy