Change of year end

Options
Dottie
Dottie Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
My client has the wrong date set up in Sage - year end should be 28th Feb, but he has 31st Jan (see earlier post).

The version of Sage he is using does not allow for change of year end, and the only option appears to be to send the data off to Sage, but at great expense.

Can I change the year end to January? I know there is a form for Companies House, but is a letter sufficient for HMRC?

Many thanks as always

Dottie

Comments

• Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Sage year end

Hi Dottie

What version of Sage is being used?

Regards
  • Dottie
    Options
    It is Sage Line 50. When I go to Settings, Financial Year the message says that this is fixed once entries have been entered.

Dottie
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Dottie

When you select settings>Financial Year is there a option to 'change'? I think it is only possible with Accounts Plus or Accounts Professional. You will still get the message that the date is fixed when entries are posted, but it is possible to change it - I have changed the date for Clients a couple of times.

If you go to the help in Sage and type in 'Change year end' it should tell you the correct procedure to follow. I would make sure you have a least one current back up before you try.

Sue
  • Hasan.Ahmet
    Hasan.Ahmet Registered Posts: 87 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi,
    Sage Line 50 is the program what version are you using.
    With some Sage programs and earlier versions of L50 it's not possible.
  • Dottie
    Options
    It is Sage Line 50 2007.
  • Sue
    Options
    If you go to Help>About does it give you any more detail such as Sage Line 50 accounts 2007?

I think the options for Sage 2007 are

Instant
    Instant Plus
    Accounts
    Accounts Professional
    Financial Controller
  • Dottie
    Options
    It is 2007 Accounts Professional.
  • Sue
    Options
    I'm fairly certain with Accounts Professional you should be able to change the year end date.

Go to the help menu and type in change of year end and it should bring up the instructions.

Make sure you take at least one back up before you start.
  • Kecak
    Kecak Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Sage 2007 has Accountant, Accounts Plus, Client Manager, and Financial Controller. There is no Sage 2007 Accounts Professional. (The name changed from Financial Controller to Accounts Pro. in 2008)

What does it actually say in Help > About, it will also give you the exact version number there - eg. 13.02.30.0144.

As other people have said, you can change the financial year on Accounts Plus, Client Manager and Financial Controller.

Settings > Financial Year > Click the 'Change' button, the next prompt should be about taking a backup and checking your data - definitely do this before you change the year!!

If the Change button is greyed-out, you might not have your program activated correctly. Get the serial+key and go to Tools > Activation > Upgrade Program, when you get to the registration form, make sure the serial number is correct (serial will be some letters followed by numbers, the key is all letters), enter the key in the 'New Key' box and click Continue - if it says "program successfully upgraded" you didn't have the right key in, if it says "you must enter a new product key" (or something along those lines), it means you already have that key in.

A few other points you might want to consider...

- How long have they been processing using Sage? If the financial year was set to run March 08 - Feb 09, did they have entries for the last year? and if so did they run the Year End in Feb 08?

If you shift the financial year back to start Feb 08, the YE journals would also be included in this month's figures and would throw your reports out.

- If they've just set up the program with the wrong financial year start date from the very beginning, shouldn't be a problem..but when did they date their opening balances?
  • Dottie
    Options
    Just a quick update. It was Sage Line 50 Accounts Plus and have successfully managed to change the year end date today. Hooray! Many thanks for all your advice.

Dottie
Privacy Policy