Amortised rent free period

Options
PGM
PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
We've just got a new unit at work, for running charitable activities out of, just thought I'd get that in ;)

And the period of the lease is 10 year, with the first year free. Wondered if anyone knows the correct treatment in the accounts?

Comments

• Toffeemadblue
    Toffeemadblue Registered Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I have been looking at various scenarios for our future location requirements and rent free elements often enter into the calculations, the advice given to me by our auditors was that you would spread the rent free period over the length of the lease or to the nearest break clause, but i haven't confirmed it
  • PGM
    Options
    I have been looking at various scenarios for our future location requirements and rent free elements often enter into the calculations, the advice given to me by our auditors was that you would spread the rent free period over the length of the lease or to the nearest break clause, but i haven't confirmed it

I had a quick conversation with our auditors and thats exactly what they said also.

I'm not sure about the accounting treatment of that though. Putting the value of the credit on the balance sheet, charging some rent in the free period and then allocating the credit once rent is being charged.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Toffeemadblue is correct. The total cost is spread over the term of the lease as if it was a discount rather than a rent free period.
  • PGM
    Options
    Toffeemadblue is correct. The total cost is spread over the term of the lease as if it was a discount rather than a rent free period.

Yes, but exactly how would you treat that in the accounts?
  • deanshepherd
    Options
    An accrual.
  • PGM
    Options
    An accrual.

Ah right, quite simple then, thanks.
  • Julia
    Julia Registered Posts: 78 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Not sure if I would treat it as an accrual. I would say deferred income but it would still be a liability.
  • deanshepherd
    Options
    Deferred income?

It's an expense.
  • Hasan.Ahmet
    Hasan.Ahmet Registered Posts: 87 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    "Deferred income?"
    "It's an expense."

Absolutely.
    For entities exempt from using UITFs or SSAPs or FRSs
    the accruals concept apply, hence "An Accrual".

What does this mean?
    "Not sure if I would treat it as an accrual. I would say deferred income but it would still be a liability."
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    10 yr rental, 1 yr free.

e.g

£100k for the 10 yrs. 1 yr free.

Cash basis is £11,111 pa for yrs 2 - 10 (100k / 9)

Accounts prepared on accruals basis: £100k / 10 = £10k p/a

Yr 1 - Debit P & L by £10k and credit Accruals by £10k
    Yrs 2 to 10 - Debit P & L £10k, Debit Accruals £1,111 and credit bank £11,111

By the end of the the 10 yrs, the £10k Accrual balance will be used up. (9 * 1,111)
Privacy Policy