Spontaneous Yorkage

Options
Bookworm55
Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
So a spot has arisen in a shared house, shared by some old friends I haven't spent much time with lately, up in York and they're asking if I want to take over as co-tenant.

Lets dispense with the "do I want to"- the answer is yes, but I may need some help with the practicalities. It is a 200 mile trek that way (you can imagine I'm pointing North).

How does one go about relocating everything fairly spontaneously? I suppose really it's a question of jobs more than any other factor. It's not much fun down here, but is it grimmer up north?

I do know the city as a student, but I moved out in 2003, and I still have a lot of friends up there.

I'm torn between wanting to do it and wanting to be sure it's a good idea. Help!

Comments

• Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    So a spot has arisen in a shared house, shared by some old friends I haven't spent much time with lately, up in York and they're asking if I want to take over as co-tenant.

Lets dispense with the "do I want to"- the answer is yes, but I may need some help with the practicalities. It is a 200 mile trek that way (you can imagine I'm pointing North).

How does one go about relocating everything fairly spontaneously? I suppose really it's a question of jobs more than any other factor. It's not much fun down here, but is it grimmer up north?

I do know the city as a student, but I moved out in 2003, and I still have a lot of friends up there.

I'm torn between wanting to do it and wanting to be sure it's a good idea. Help!

You only live once... if you have no ties and no one but yourself to worry about and you sound like you want to do it...go for it and Good Luck !
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Bad time to move jobwise... Hope you have some savings put away to help you while job hunting. Other than that I'd definitely want to move to York, went there for a holiday there other week, nice place to live, apart from the tourists...
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I don't think its any grimmer up here, in fact it might be slightly better. Although I wouldn't advise giving up a job to move at the moment, as Dianne says, if you have no ties & only yourslef to worry about, go for it!
    You already know what a great place York is as a student. I'm not a city lover, but if had to work in a city, York would be my first choice. I do have a slight advantage in that it's within travelling distance for me.
    Oh and PGM, we missed the tourists (in the countryside, at least) during the foot and mouth crisis, so now recognise them as a nesessary evil, :-)
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not going to do it. Not now, anyway.
    if you have no ties and no one but yourself to worry about

No serious ties. I have local friends, of course, but not a serious partner or children to consider. My family are spread over the London and home counties regions anyway and my parents aren't old enough that I have to take care of them.
    Although I wouldn't advise giving up a job to move

I'm about to start the ninth week of what I was told would be a 10-12 week temp placement, so I'm anticipating being out of a job by the end of the month. I've been making applications in the Herts/Cambs region and getting a few leads, so I'm not that worried.
    Hope you have some savings put away to help you while job hunting.

That's the trouble. I don't have much 'instant access' savings to speak of: I have ISAs and bonds and such that I could break into, but don't want to unless I have to (because I'll forfeit the interest). I'm still rebuilding my easy-access cash from the hit it took when I was a full-time student (for the second time) for the last two years.

I think I'm going to put some money aside and start planning to move up when I can afford it and/or the market improves.
Privacy Policy