Kids living at home paying "Keep"

Options
Yazi
Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi

Wanted to speak to anyone who has a sons or daughters who live at home and pay "keep".
My question is.....what is "Keep"??

Is it....Room, Food, Bills, Washing, Ironing, etc etc etc. (everything, in other words..)

Or how would you define?

Thanks

Comments

• lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Went I was still at home my keep covered bills except the landland phone, washing if i put it out (but not ironing) food as long as it was the same as the rest of the familly, if I wanted something different I had to by it. I was also expect to contribute to the housework, but it all depends on how much "keep" they give you IMO
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    and remember less than 4000 PA (tax inplications)
  • Yazi
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »
    and remember less than 4000 PA (tax inplications)

Whoops....will have to give him some back......
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Yazi wrote: »
    Whoops....will have to give him some back......

yiks you charge that am not living with you lol
  • Yazi
    Options
    I am joking....(Just in case you thought I meant it...)
    Nowhere near £4k......(would be nice though)
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I make it my responsibility to extract as much as I possibly can from the last remaining son at home, whom I fondly call Number 2.

I put it in a savings account for him and he has used this to purchase a car, go on holidays and buy stylish clothing.

He contributes at home by DIY, gardening, decorating, plumping cushions etc. To be fair to him, he is currently working 7 days a week and is also at college 1 night a week and studies hard.

He drinks as much of my beer as he can get his hands on and occasionally buys me a bag of liquorice allsorts.

Number 1 legged it years ago, but drops in for food, money, beer, furniture, anything he can lay his hands on for free.

Both of them "think" they are/have been paying their keep, but in all honesty I have spent it all on them anyway. I do think it is important that an adult child living at home makes a contribution. It's the principle.

Parenthood, I have found is expensive as well as rewarding.

Edit: Regarding the OP's actual question, my boy pays for his own clothes, phone and entertainment. He is now paying for his own car's MOT, MVL and service for the first time ever. Uptil now he was at Uni so we paid for all of this. Everything else we pay for, but we live as a very close family in the sense that if one of us needs something, everyone else mucks in whether it's financial, physical or emotional. Occasionally we have to remind him to take more showers and less baths, turn the heating down, turn off the tv etc etc....
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    dont know .but i was well lucky that i was never charged much keep at all.....that will not go to mine...my will pay a fair sum of money for the priv. of living at home !!!!!!! hahaha
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I'm about Cullen's sons' age, living at home and I'm not contributing anything (financially). I'm quite glad my parents don't read this forum...
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I had to pay a third of my wages when I lived at home but then as I started earning more Mum and Dad put a cap on it.

I hated it at the time but was glad of it when I did move out as I was used to paying out the money and moving out was much easier.
  • Vonni
    Vonni Registered Posts: 63 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I have always charged my son's board or 'keep' of around £100-£150 a month as well as taking an amount from them every month to put in a savings account; whether they were working or part time students - number one son, aged 25, lives in an annexe built on our house with his lovely girlfriend and they now pay us rent and live almost independently - in January they are moving into one of our buy-to-let properties to go it alone - but with a great nest egg in their savings account as I gave my son the savings ethic ... number 2 son (aged 21) loves the good things in life, spends almost everything he earns and now lives in Scotland with his lovely girlfriend - his nest egg is smaller - he never quite got the hang of 'save for a rainy day' but he has the work ethic.

I believe that it's important to take board from your kids even if you don't need the money it teaches them to manage. Yes my sons thought I was an ogre for taking money for their savings but it has meant they have always had money when they needed it. And they both refuse to buy anything on credit or HP and don't believe in credit cards - so something has stuck.

Luckily as parents, my hubby of 30 years, and I have always had good consistent income and have invested in property so we can give our sons a good start in life with a house each - so maybe we've been cruel to be kind - they are now starting to reap the benefits.

And mum and dad - soon we'll be on our own - bliss when we clean it will stay clean, I can have white towels and they won't be muddy and gubby within minutes, no more piles of washing and ironing, muddy sports kit and trainers littering the porch.

:-)
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    My son started to pay "keep" as soon as he started working, my daughter when she finished as a student and started living back at home. It's to cover all household bills, rates, washing cleaning etc, although at times my son seems to think it is my "wage" and I am therefore his "slave". LOL It started at £40 per week and hasn't increased in the last three years. To be honest I thought it was maybe a bit much to start with and hence have kept it at the same, but don't let him know that! He pays for his own car expenses, clothes, going out etc. We helped him buy his first car - probably from the "board" he paid in the first place!

We too have instilled a savings ethic into my two, although being from Yorkshire (we are supposed to be tight fisted) it has probably being quite easy to do that. We also think it's important to get used to paying when at home as Yonni says it teaches them to manage.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I pay £80 a month! bloody rip off!
  • mark130273
    Options
    AK002 wrote: »

hey come and live with me .. . i will cut that by a mile !!!

on second thoughts....nah !
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    mark130273 wrote: »
    hey come and live with me .. . i will cut that by a mile !!!

on second thoughts....nah !

you'd love me to come live with you lol
  • A-Vic
    Options

lol am saying nowt
  • Yazi
    Options

Our general guideline is one days wage per week...(After deductions of course)

I think you are onto a winner....
  • mark130273
    Options

i dont tthink so.......................
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    we pay £120 a month
  • A-Vic
    Options
    wow when i got my first job (some time ago) lets just say late 80's i paid £55 per week although i was on better wages then compaired to now
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    wow when i got my first job (some time ago) lets just say late 80's i paid £55 per week although i was on better wages then compaired to now

When I first started work it was £2 10/- (£2.50)..lol My pay was £6 2/6
  • A-Vic
    Options
    lol was money even invented then *runs*
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    lol was money even invented then *runs*

These cheeky young whippersnappers.

Yes it was real money in those days, not plactic or decimal rubbish. we used to have 10/-(50p) notes AND £1 notes....lol
  • loralu
    loralu Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    i used to pay £200/month and i used to think it was a lot but now i've got my own place i realise it was cheap!
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    loralu wrote: »
    i used to pay £200/month and i used to think it was a lot but now i've got my own place i realise it was cheap!

Tell me about it, got very used to paying £650 for the mortgage now,, but planning on moving soon and the thought of paying upwards of £1K is depressing.....but need a bigger place to start the Slack clan :D
  • mark130273
    Options
    slackda wrote: »
    Tell me about it, got very used to paying £650 for the mortgage now,, but planning on moving soon and the thought of paying upwards of £1K is depressing.....but need a bigger place to start the Slack clan :D

so there isnt a small slack person then yet .....
  • slackda
    Options
    not yet......
  • mark130273
    Options
    not yet......

but plans are in place !
  • loralu
    Options

my mortgage is £600 and thats bad enough! i wouldn't be able to feed myself it the mortgage was £1000! need to get my last ACCA exams past next week and then hopefully i'll get some more £££!
  • slackda
    Options
    loralu wrote: »
    my mortgage is £600 and thats bad enough! i wouldn't be able to feed myself it the mortgage was £1000! need to get my last ACCA exams past next week and then hopefully i'll get some more £££!

there is a misses slack pay her way....well i suppose we could live in a tent made from the clothes she has bought : D

GD luck with the exams!
  • loralu
    Options
    thanks! i think i may need it!
Privacy Policy