Calling All Advise

A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Hey all

Well contemplating my future with the firm am with ive bitten the bullet and called a meeting with my manager this evening and now regreating it a little.

The problem for me at the mo is they way the situation is i will not be able to continue my studies the way things are, having to support my own studies but being the chicken i am can never aproach and ask for anything.

The above wasnt a problem doing the AAT but having considered the fee's for ACCA this is near on impossible on my current wage.

Also the other thing is putting my studies to use - i dont mind doing the admin side of my job (75% of my work) but is that all i ever be doing or be seen as (practise administrator?)

I do love my job and the diversity but backed up against a wall what else could you do???

My problem now is how do i say all that to my manager without sounding like give me study support a better job and more money without doing ultimatum?

Has anyone done this what did you say and the outcome?

Comments

• mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Hey all

Well contemplating my future with the firm am with ive bitten the bullet and called a meeting with my manager this evening and now regreating it a little.

The problem for me at the mo is they way the situation is i will not be able to continue my studies the way things are, having to support my own studies but being the chicken i am can never aproach and ask for anything.

The above wasnt a problem doing the AAT but having considered the fee's for ACCA this is near on impossible on my current wage.

Also the other thing is putting my studies to use - i dont mind doing the admin side of my job (75% of my work) but is that all i ever be doing or be seen as (practise administrator?)

I do love my job and the diversity but backed up against a wall what else could you do???

My problem now is how do i say all that to my manager without sounding like give me study support a better job and more money without doing ultimatum?

well never had that situation but im sure that it will be very very hard to sort out that way. basically because i do remember one guy going in and saying he needed more money or he would leave and the reply he got was "sorry to see you leave" ? so be very careful ?
  • A-Vic
    The fact is tho i would be happy to stay on the same wage but without the added cost of study like i said it would be impossible to do both
  • A-Vic
    But also the fact is i dont want to do the ultimatum i have more respect for my employers than that, but it feels like there doing that to me at times also a bit like put up and shut up!
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Saying it like that is fine. If your title is practise administrator and your going to be AAT qualified, they have a v good deal, most practise administrators I know dont do accounts. I bet your boss has seen this coming so may be pre-prepared. In that case stick to your guns, keep it factual, after all you are only asking what options you have in the future and you deserve to know after all the work you've put in! Your boss will have gained enormously by you going on this course in the first place. Alot of accountants round here have seniors with only an AAT or some not even that!

As for the ACCA bit I do see your problem, the accountants I know like AAT better than ACCA as they get a qualified person at a cheaper rate. One accountant I know working for a large company will only send specially selected staff on ACCA as the drop out rate is quite high and anyone who does qualify usually flies the nest anyway.

So what Im trying to say is Im in a similar boat, did the asking and the response to the first bit was good, to the second it was bad, lol.
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰

I explained how I'd progressed through the AAT, how I felt ready for more challenging work and promotion. I emphasised the glowing reports about me from the college*. I told him I wanted to progress onto ACCA or CIMA, and wanted to know how much the company would be willing to support that.

He told me "he'd think about it and get back to me". He didn't, despite prompting. And yet was really surprised when I resigned a few months later.

*(Which he claimed he never got, despite the fact I'd seen him reading them.)
  • A-Vic
    Thanks Jow you see my point exactly - i would also be prepared to sign a contract stating i would Guarantee stay for 2 years after study or would repay any fee's or expenses paid.
  • A-Vic

Sorry correction was 75% near on 40% these days
  • A-Vic
    Well am off thanks everyone for your input its given me a lot to think about before tonights meeting will keep you informed :)
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Well am off thanks everyone for your input its given me a lot to think about before tonights meeting will keep you informed :)

Good LUCK !!! X
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    well never had that situation but im sure that it will be very very hard to sort out that way. basically because i do remember one guy going in and saying he needed more money or he would leave and the reply he got was "sorry to see you leave" ? so be very careful ?
    Conversely, a friend of mine who worked in IT for a large merchant bank and was actually quite keen to leave, gave a similar ultimatum and got the reply, "how much do you want to stay?" He kept working for them for the next five years and made enough to retire on before he was forty. Grrrr.
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Good luck A-Vic, you sound like a sensible gal to me so Im sure you will say the right things, have confidence in your abilities.
  • A-Vic
    Hi Everyone

After a very long hour meeting with the manager (which went very well i was brought in to the loop of what is currently happening within the firm) and a meeting is now arranged with the bosses on tuesday of next week to discuss my future, with the extream backing of my manager.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Nice one Victoria :)!
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Everyone

After a very long hour meeting with the manager (which went very well i was brought in to the loop of what is currently happening within the firm) and a meeting is now arranged with the bosses on tuesday of next week to discuss my future, with the extream backing of my manager.

Well done. We'll all be rooting for you next Tuesday.
    You obviously put your case in a very professional manner and had an intelligent and understanding manager(not a lot of them around). You should go far within the company.
  • A-Vic
    Well done. We'll all be rooting for you next Tuesday.
    You obviously put your case in a very professional manner and had an intelligent and understanding manager(not a lot of them around). You should go far within the company.

Thanks Peter :)
  • Diannew
    Thanks Peter :)

Well done!!!!!!You will have no problem next week Vic...I am sure they are aware of what an excellent member of staff they have with you......XX
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    they are aware of what an axcellent member of staff they have with you
    You're not suggesting that she might be for the chop :001_tongue:
  • Diannew
    CJC wrote: ยป
    You're not suggesting that she might be for the chop :001_tongue:

Gosh....you are on the ball today CJ....one must watch one's P's & Q's LOL
  • A-Vic
    Well had the meeting a little confused it seemed to go off in all directions however did come off better than i started as in reclaiming any fee's paid this year. Plus need to get figures together for ACCA costs so if any one has any figures please pass on.

Thanks
  • mark130273
    Well had the meeting a little confused it seemed to go off in all directions however did come off better than i started as in reclaiming any fee's paid this year. Plus need to get figures together for ACCA costs so if any one has any figures please pass on.

Thanks

just send you some costs ?
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    however did come off better than i started as in reclaiming any fee's paid this year.

Thanks

what u mean?
  • A-Vic
    Thanks mark your a star

Messed i mean i can reclaim any out of pocket college fee's or aat fee's
  • mark130273
    Thanks mark your a star

Messed i mean i can reclaim any out of pocket college fee's or aat fee's

no probs hun......i am still trying to claim my travelling ??costing me ยฃ16.50 a week just to get there ?
  • A-Vic
    no probs hun......i am still trying to claim my travelling ??costing me ยฃ16.50 a week just to get there ?

Yeah am gonna throw them in as well you should, they could always say no
Privacy Policy