Hi all

Options
loralu
loralu Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,

I'm Laura and new on this forum. I became a full member of AAT in June 07 and have my last two ACCA exams in December.

Is anyone else doing ACCA?

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Loralu

No where near completing ACCA but wanted to say ello
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    loralu wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm Laura and new on this forum. I became a full member of AAT in June 07 and have my last two ACCA exams in December.

Is anyone else doing ACCA?

Hi Loralu,

I am only on Advanced Certificate on my AAT but welcome you can be the expert when we are stuck!
  • loralu
    Options
    Hi A-Vic & Jewels.p!

It's three years since my last aat exams, don't think you could call me an expert!! i tend to forget things from the minute i walk out of the exam hall!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    My manager is like you and taking the last two ACCA exams in december
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    howdy laura, welcome to the forum . i have just started ACCA ! good luck with your exams
  • loralu
    Options
    hi mark

thanks! have you sat any acca exams? are you doing any in december?
  • mark130273
    Options
    hi mark

thanks! have you sat any acca exams? are you doing any in december?

nope i have got two in december got f4 and f5 ...really cacking myself for the f4 ....it is so hard and so much you have to remeber !
  • loralu
    Options
    i struggled with f4 (and all the written ones for that matter) i think as it is the first exam that you sit for your ACCA it makes it more difficult. i passed it first time with 50%!! got 50% on a few of the exams but a pass is a pass! i did p1, p2 and p3 in june that was hard going doing 3 but was worth it when i passed!

I'm doing P5 & P6 this time. Really struggling with P5 and got P6 revision this weekend so i'll see how i fell after that! I seem to have lost all my motivation so i'm mad at myself! I'm hoping i pass because it'll be nice to have my weekends back and i wanted to qualify before i'm 22. how are you doing your studying? at home or college?
  • mark130273
    Options
    i struggled with f4 (and all the written ones for that matter) i think as it is the first exam that you sit for your ACCA it makes it more difficult. i passed it first time with 50%!! got 50% on a few of the exams but a pass is a pass! i did p1, p2 and p3 in june that was hard going doing 3 but was worth it when i passed!

I'm doing P5 & P6 this time. Really struggling with P5 and got P6 revision this weekend so i'll see how i fell after that! I seem to have lost all my motivation so i'm mad at myself! I'm hoping i pass because it'll be nice to have my weekends back and i wanted to qualify before i'm 22. how are you doing your studying? at home or college?

wow you are well further on than me. im doing one day a week at MMU in manchester and trying to do some studying at home but dont get much time to myself but giving it abloody good go.....my plan is to be fully qualified by 40 !!! got 3 1/2 years !
  • loralu
    Options
    you should have plenty of time in 3 1/2 years, i sat my first ones in Dec 07 so if i pass these two it will have taken me 2 1/2 yrs. i think going to college really helps, someone at my work is doing all home study and is struggling to pass.

do you work in practice or industry? i work in practice but when im qualified i'm hoping to move in to industry - problem is i don't have any experience in industry. i've also found in the past people think im too young for roles like i got turned down for a practice job when they wanted 3yrs experience and aat qualified which i had both and they said if a 'more junior position came up!' the cheek!!
  • mark130273
    Options
    you should have plenty of time in 3 1/2 years, i sat my first ones in Dec 07 so if i pass these two it will have taken me 2 1/2 yrs. i think going to college really helps, someone at my work is doing all home study and is struggling to pass.

do you work in practice or industry? i work in practice but when im qualified i'm hoping to move in to industry - problem is i don't have any experience in industry. i've also found in the past people think im too young for roles like i got turned down for a practice job when they wanted 3yrs experience and aat qualified which i had both and they said if a 'more junior position came up!' the cheek!!

well at this present moment in time i am self employed which means even WHEN i pass all my exams i will still not have the ACCA qualifacation as you need 3 years experience on top of the exam results... but at lease i will have the exams out the way. I am doing a quite bit of work for an accounting firm but not as much as i would like too !

were about are you based ?
  • loralu
    Options
    i'm in north yorkshire, in between york and scarbrough, not far from flamingo land! i go to college in leeds to kaplan so its a bit of a trek for me to get there, an hour on the train or 50 mins in car!
  • mark130273
    Options
    i'm in north yorkshire, in between york and scarbrough, not far from flamingo land! i go to college in leeds to kaplan so its a bit of a trek for me to get there, an hour on the train or 50 mins in car!

strangly enough im do about the same . im in wallasey just over the water from liverpool and i get the train to Manchester every week.......nice early trian journey .gives me time to catch up on reading ???
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Laura

I'm in North Yorks too but up North so other end to you!

I'm about to start ACCA at college on day release in January, looking forward to it. We're starting on F5 and F6 which at first I thought was strange and wondered why we aren't starting with F4. I've looked at the books for F5 & 6 though and they seem along the same lines as what I've done already at AAT so I'm hoping they won't be too bad, they seem like the best modules to start with. I'm not looking forward to F4!!!

Good luck Laura and Mark with your exams.
  • mark130273
    Options
    Hi Laura

I'm in North Yorks too but up North so other end to you!

I'm about to start ACCA at college on day release in January, looking forward to it. We're starting on F5 and F6 which at first I thought was strange and wondered why we aren't starting with F4. I've looked at the books for F5 & 6 though and they seem along the same lines as what I've done already at AAT so I'm hoping they won't be too bad, they seem like the best modules to start with. I'm not looking forward to F4!!!

Good luck Laura and Mark with your exams.

dont think anyone likes F4 .......many thanks for the good luck.......thinking i need more than just good luck !!!! hahaha
  • loralu
    Options
    Hi Mark & Rozzi Rainbows!

I like to catch up on reading on the train, i spend loads on magazines when i'm at college!

I think the key with F4 is to get to the point and answer what they are asking you, don't waffle on!

I liked F6 coz i like tax and the numbers on F5 aren't too bad!
  • mark130273
    Options
    Hi Mark & Rozzi Rainbows!

I like to catch up on reading on the train, i spend loads on magazines when i'm at college!

I think the key with F4 is to get to the point and answer what they are asking you, don't waffle on!

I liked F6 coz i like tax and the numbers on F5 aren't too bad!

but i did that with some practice questions and got told to expand on them...with explain this and that and all the other rubbish that they want !!! we got the proper answers for one mock exam and it was typed out on small type face and it was 12 pages long !!! 12 pages in 3 hours.....behave !
  • loralu
    Options
    in an audit exam once the person next to me go on to there 3rd answer book, i didn't even fill one! they must have large writing! i think you just need to get to the point but make sure you have all the detail in there and in the scenario questions apply it! my law tutor was really good and the exam technique given really helped get me through the exam!
  • mark130273
    Options
    in an audit exam once the person next to me go on to there 3rd answer book, i didn't even fill one! they must have large writing! i think you just need to get to the point but make sure you have all the detail in there and in the scenario questions apply it! my law tutor was really good and the exam technique given really helped get me through the exam!

a lot of people say put in the points that are needed and that is all you need.....but i would rather put in as much as i can .......depends on the time thou !
  • loralu
    Options
    what ever works best for you is the way to go! if you are writing lots i would make sure u do paragraphs as the tutors at college point out that a marker will only spend a short time marking a paper and when they are faced with a large chunk of writing they might miss your important bits but with a paragraph for each important bit it is easier to spot.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Having sat way too many exams in my life, another piece of advice is to spend ten minutes or so writing out an essay plan with the points you want to make. It'll help you give a much more coherent and structured answer and the examiner will love you for that.

I remember in my Finals there were one or two people who wrote loads, it's was a bit disconcerting but didn't seem have much effect on the results. I can write fast or I can write legibly but not both.
  • loralu
    Options
    hi cjc,

i think that is good advice, i like to try and answer plan as it helps you focus!
Privacy Policy