obtaining records from closed accountant?

Options
burg
burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
Hi guys,

A bit of an unusual one.

I had some potential clients. A husband and wife running separate businesses both at the same firm of accountants.

The one client had an ongoing investigation and was going to move to me after its conclusion. From some of her comments about how they were dealing with the investigation things seemed a little dodgy. Her response was I don't know they just say 'Don't worry leave it to us'. Basically, we believe they had a dormant limited company that they have tried to pass as her several years ago. She is now left with the mess.

Anyway I have no found out that the employed accountant who was working for them has reported their behaviour and resigned. Some authorities have been in (Police, SOCA, etc) the phone now goes to answer machine only. The office has closed and is up for let and the police/SOCA have retained all records for their investigations.

My problem is that the one of the limited companies has accounts due to be filed in January.

The accountants had already produced the accounts to draft. These had been signed and returned. Nothing has been filed though at companies house. I now may need to reproduce these accounts.

How would you go about obtaining b/fwd balances and any accumulated tax losses?
Would HMRC provide some info?

The client was also advised to open a limited company in (we believe Belgium or Holland, a BV company). This was supposedly to exploit a tax haven. Anyone any experience of this and any advice on how to deal with. He does not want to be involved in this as he now distrusts all he has been told by them.

Sorry for the long post. Just an awkward and unusual situation
Regards,

Burg

Comments

• slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Wouldn't the previous Years Accounts need to be filled on companies house and therefore availble on request?

or this the first year reporting?
  • burg
    Options
    abbreviated accounts were filed and they would not be that helpful
    Regards,

Burg
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    aha....nto much good really, imo i would approach the HMRC and put the question to them regarding the B/f balances probably the best approach to begin with.
  • burg
    Options
    have managed to find the dutch companies register website and it appears the company does not exist. So maybe they never got around to it or there was no intention and he just kept the money that was paid over. Unfortunately that was £2k.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    burg wrote: »
    Hi guys,

How would you go about obtaining b/fwd balances and any accumulated tax losses?
    Would HMRC provide some info?

Hi Burg,

I had exactly the same situation in the summer and I found the local CT office really helpful with this. Once the 64-8 was in place they faxed me copies of the prior years accounts, CT return and comp that enabled me to pick up and move forward.

Julia
  • burg
    Options
    Thanks Poodle.

That's good to hear as HMRC aren't normally that helpful!
    Regards,

Burg
Privacy Policy