Accountant

Dawn Brian
Dawn Brian Registered Posts: 15 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Can I provide accounting services as an accountant to a member of my family, eg: they need me to write a letter for them as their accountant for Loss of Earnings. Although I am not a full member as yet but am qualified. Legally can I do this, some advice would be appreciated please.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Accountant

Hi Dawn

It might be better to ring the AAT and ask them directly. Part of me thinks you would probably be OK but the other part thinks that as you aren't an MiP, probably not.

Do you feel completely at ease with what you are being asked to do? I joined a practice about 4 months before I passed the Technician stage and although I had passed all the exams at first try I was totally unprepared for the real world. Luckily I had a very good teacher.

I hope this helps.
  • Dawn Brian
    Dawn Brian Registered Posts: 15 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Accountant

Thanks for your reply, fortunately I have been working as an assistant accountant for the past two years so I feel comfortable doing most things apart from putting management accounts together as I haven't done that since I passed my exams. But that is the only thing that I don't do everything else like journals, reconciliations, prepayments and accruals I do. Think I could put together some management accounts if I looked back at my notes. Well thanks for the reply still not sure what to do tho.
  • Psyche
    Psyche Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    If you have fewer than six clients you don't need to register as an MIP.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi

Legally speaking you can provide any accounting service you wish other than statutory audit, insolvency and financial services. AAT rules equire members to obtain MIP status but student members/affiliates (which is what you would be classed as) do not require MIP but cant reffer to their AAT status in the course of their work.

Neil
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Psyche wrote: ยป
    If you have fewer than six clients you don't need to register as an MIP.

Just to point out that is true however you cannot then use MAAT or refer to you qualification when dealing with said clients
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    hi, i was in contact with the AAT re: doing my husbands books

they said it was ok and it will also be used to my work experience but they said that i cannot advertise the AAT on any accountancy services

LOL i just want experience :)
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    How will you get that experience verified - did they say?
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    How will you get that experience verified - did they say?

Hi

The AAT will except self employed experience providing it can be varified by an appropriate person with knowledge of your work. Also, the required one year work experience must be gained after completion of the technician/diploma stage.

Neil
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    That makes more sense!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    NeilH wrote: ยป
    Hi

The AAT will except self employed experience providing it can be varified by an appropriate person with knowledge of your work. Also, the required one year work experience must be gained after completion of the technician/diploma stage.

Neil

Is this a new rule?
    I completed my Technician last summer (2008) and got MAAT straight away on the back of my self employed experience (which was over a year).
Privacy Policy