This has been bugging me since I started AAT...

Options
swirlywirly
swirlywirly Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
When you're revising or whatever and going through practice questions you sometimes come across things like "balance sheet at 31st December 20x7"

What is the deal with the x replacing the 0?? I really don't see the point at all!

Can anyone shed any light?

Comments

• jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    When you're revising or whatever and going through practice questions you sometimes come across things like "balance sheet at 31st December 20x7"

What is the deal with the x replacing the 0?? I really don't see the point at all!

Can anyone shed any light?

Nope

Sorry couldn't resist!
  • midnightmyst
    midnightmyst Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi,
    They do that so the 'x' can be replaced with an 0, 1, 2, as it won't always be 2009. I hope this answers your question
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi,
    They do that so the 'x' can be replaced with an 0, 1, 2, as it won't always be 2009. I hope this answers your question

its because if they ever changed the money unit from 100p into the pound in 2015, then any paper from before that date you would have to rewrite with the correct amounts but if the dates are interchangeable then this would allow for the adjusted amount.....

thats what i think !
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    It's just one of those odd conventions. A lot of textbooks do it.

I think it's so when you read the book in 2015 you read 20X1 as 2011, not 2001 and think "wow, this textbook is really old". I'm not sure why as most textbooks wouldn't be in use long enough for that to matter.

And the year you're doing the accounts for almost never actually matters on a practice question except for tax purposes. (however, "last year" "next year" and "this year" matters)
Privacy Policy