Bookkeeping tasks

sheelagh
sheelagh Registered Posts: 133 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
I have always had a policy of not having access to client bank accounts. I prefer clients to do their own banking - write cheques, complete paying in book slips, make online payments, download statements etc. My main reason being that if I don't have access to their money, I can't be accused of abusing the privelege and I will hopefully be well clear of the line of fire if they think something is amiss with their bank balance.
I've recently had a few enquiries from prospective new clients who say that their previous bookkeeper was happy to carry out these tasks.
What do other bookkeepers do?

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    We often have the same thing but do the same as you, we won't touch anyone's online bank.

I have filled in cheques for client's but always take a copy of what we've sent to protect ourselves.
  • mc25
    mc25 Registered Posts: 232 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    When I have always done book keeping for clients I make sure they are there when I am accessing the bank account and also I dont take the logging details. Hope this helps.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    I've always been happy to do banking duties for clients. They usually keep their login details secret for a while and then get bored/frustrated with logging in themselves and tell me what they are. Most banks now have the fobs/password generators so I only have access to the accounts while I'm at the client's premises (ie if suspicious looking payments went out of the account on a day I wasn't in then it couldn't have been me). I've never ever had a problem with this. Obviously I never pay any suppliers/wages without asking the client first.
    The only time that I did get in the firing line was when a client accused me of not posting his cheques received from customers (and consequently the cheques sent to suppliers started bouncing), but then a few weeks later he found the cheques in question in his van!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    It's not something I offer as a service but I know a lot of clients that would want me to do it. I do not see a problem with offering the service, per se, it is just that if something goes wrong I would be the first person under suspicion, particularly if other staff members may also have access to the logins/passwords.

Tricky one to get the right systems in place.
Privacy Policy