BTC - how did you find it...

Options
lewpylew
lewpylew Registered Posts: 216 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Know we cannot talk it about it properly yet but I have come home in tears.... will be definitely resitting that in June :( Found section 1 really hard!

Comments

• LucyB
    LucyB Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Yeah I found section 1 very hard and was unsure on if to do a WDA for the capital gains or not seeing as it as ceased!
  • Mog17
    Mog17 Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Oh dear! I kept thinking I'd missed the point as it was really easy!!! A couple of other people came out same time as me and felt the same....
  • Lynn Saunders
    Lynn Saunders Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Struggled with a couple of tasks on part 1... wasn't entirely sure what they were getting at. Part 2 seemed ok...

Am I right in thinking we can discuss this properly after 3pm today?

I so want to know if anyone did the same as me!!!
  • lisnic
    lisnic Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    not as bad as i expected

i spent 5 mins before i even looked at a question writing down key things that i always forgot and things like due dates, penalties etc for tax and returns and im glad i did will disclose why later!

i think the first section was less obvious than second

ive came away thinking i have a chance of passing - not a think ive pass/fail but i feel i have a chance which is an improvements as i very much so was not confident! i distance learning and only decided to do this exam 2 days before exam entry closed and i didnt even open a book until few days after that so prob the reason ive not felt confident about this! considering all this it went better than i expected it too and im happy with what ive done... i think
  • Lyn32
    Lyn32 Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I was puzzle task 1.2 keep changing my answer but I'm glad to my final one but I think task 1.1 very straight forward or just me but I was optimistic with my answer last task 2.5 I hate wording but I cant remember much but I do my best. task 1.2 and task 2.5 are the weakest for me.
  • lewpylew
    lewpylew Registered Posts: 216 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Struggled with a couple of tasks on part 1... wasn't entirely sure what they were getting at. Part 2 seemed ok...

Am I right in thinking we can discuss this properly after 3pm today?

I so want to know if anyone did the same as me!!!

Yep at 3pm we can discuss away and I'll probably feel worse than I do now but hey ho, nothing I can do about it now. Just going to work my socks off so I do well in personal tax fingers crossed x
  • Priya-p
    Priya-p Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    section 1 was HARD! i was confuuused..
  • suewa46
    suewa46 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I thought it was easier than any of the past papers Ive studied - I cant help thinking I might has misread it?

All the things I was sure they would test like the lease payments weren't there?
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    There were a few questions where I though what are they actually asking for? Hopefully will get a few marks for some of the workings.
  • lisnic
    lisnic Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Lyn32 wrote: »
    I was puzzle task 1.2 keep changing my answer but I'm glad to my final one but I think task 1.1 very straight forward or just me but I was optimistic with my answer last task 2.5 I hate wording but I cant remember much but I do my best. task 1.2 and task 2.5 are the weakest for me.

if 1.2 is the question i think i sat going omg for a min looking for a figure that i didnt need from tax table and so trying to make it harder for myself and then it clicked (i think anyway!)

2.5 i also agree however i can blabble on so i am happy i will get some marks as looking at my notes after not perfect but i have put a lot of valid points in i think

i need to get off here and do some dfs! last surge! ill be back at 3!
  • carrieclarke2001
    carrieclarke2001 Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    BTEC so glad its over
    lisnic wrote: »
    if 1.2 is the question i think i sat going omg for a min looking for a figure that i didnt need from tax table and so trying to make it harder for myself and then it clicked (i think anyway!)

2.5 i also agree however i can blabble on so i am happy i will get some marks as looking at my notes after not perfect but i have put a lot of valid points in i think

i need to get off here and do some dfs! last surge! ill be back at 3!

Was a tricky exam but feel I did ok cant wait till 3pm to find out what I should have done and loose any confidence I have at the moment lol
  • talinka
    talinka Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I think the paper was ok actually. I am a distance learner and I have just started to study it last monday, had whole week off work but I feel like I did well enough to pass. Was a bit confused about filling the form though.
  • clairet
    clairet Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    had an awful exam, got myself really worked up over section 1, section 2 i found easier.

Really wasn't sure how to fill in the tax return!

look forward to 3 so i can stress myself out even more...

1 down 1 to go!
  • carrieclarke2001
    Options
    task 1
    clairet wrote: »
    had an awful exam, got myself really worked up over section 1, section 2 i found easier.

Really wasn't sure how to fill in the tax return!

look forward to 3 so i can stress myself out even more...

1 down 1 to go!

Ok lets go its 3pm
  • shaunjubb
    shaunjubb Registered Posts: 25 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    paper seemed "okay" there has been worse ones . as for that section 1, i got a very round number after deducting overlap profits which seemed wierd, but could be correct.
    when are the official results due to be emailed out?
  • talinka
    Options
    Can we discuss the paper now? Anyone?
  • carrieclarke2001
    Options
    yes
  • carrieclarke2001
    Options
    shaunjubb wrote: »
    paper seemed "okay" there has been worse ones . As for that section 1, i got a very round number after deducting overlap profits which seemed wierd, but could be correct.
    When are the official results due to be emailed out?
    what over lap where did u duduct it ??????????
  • civicmeister
    civicmeister Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    There was overlap of £6,318 and my adjusted trading came to £46,318 or something like that - although I'm pretty certain I needed to have taken the £30k from the last year of trading also - but I couldn't work out where that would have gone on the tax return so left it out in the end.
  • Ell1e
    Ell1e Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    There was £8316 (i think if I remember) to deduct.... my taxable profts were 40000.

I thought this was a nice round number but looking at his previous year figures of 30000 and 50000 it seemed ok.
  • Ell1e
    Options
    There was overlap of £6,318 and my adjusted trading came to £46,318 or something like that - although I'm pretty certain I needed to have taken the £30k from the last year of trading also - but I couldn't work out where that would have gone on the tax return so left it out in the end.

I dont think so.. it said he had been tradiing for many years so he would be on current year basis
  • civicmeister
    Options
    £40k was what I was left with - where did you put the overlap on the return?
  • Ell1e
    Options
    I didnt... it didnt give you that page to fill in.
  • talinka
    Options
    I also got the profit a round figure in section 1. Overlap profit was mentioned together with all the rates and tables. My profit came to 70.000. When filling in the form, where does the goodwill figure go? I put it in box 15
  • Vics
    Vics Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thank god its over

I didnt find it too bad! I went in really worried about it & have come out a little bit more confident!! Hopefully it went ok!

I knew that we weren't supposed to add any WDA as it had ceased to trade but kept thinking that i should do sum thing with the fact it was only 9mths for task 1.

am praying it went ok :)

hope every1 else did alright

2 down 1 to go!!
  • GemmaLouise
    GemmaLouise Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    In the year of cessation you have to access all the profits left to access therefore the amount for the 30/04/08 would have needed to be assessed.
  • carrieclarke2001
    Options
    I got totally lost on that question
    I used adjusted profit
    less loss
    2007 50k/12
    2008 30k /12 x 11
    came to about 50,334
    then the next question was the NI
  • Ell1e
    Options
    doh :(
  • Vics
    Vics Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I got £40k as well so hopefully...
  • civicmeister
    Options
    Yeh I thought the £30k should have been there - I kinda crossed it out but didn't if that makes sense :) I was torn between £40k and £70k - couldn't work out where the £30k should go on the return though as only had information for turnover and expenses etc for the 9 month period!
Privacy Policy