Technician options

Options
ryannnnnnnnnnnnn
ryannnnnnnnnnnnn Registered Posts: 13 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi,

I have just completed my FRA and ECR exam.

I am now obvsiously moving onto technician.

Can some1 please help and offeer some guidance on what the options are and best ways to study the. I am a day release student.

Any help very much appreiciated.

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    you say your a day release student does that mean college? if so the college will decide not you unfortunately
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    hi there

i too want to start planinng the technician level

i am a self student ie i want to study at home so will end up buying books and then enter for the exams through the AAT
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    you say your a day release student does that mean college? if so the college will decide not you unfortunately

thats not technically true. It depends what college you go to. I had a colleague study at a local college and they got told what options they where studying. I go to kaplan in manchester and i got to choose what options to study
  • ryannnnnnnnnnnnn
    ryannnnnnnnnnnnn Registered Posts: 13 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    i get the choice of my options.

so can any1 help?
  • donnaalwill
    donnaalwill Registered Posts: 116 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I chose my options on someones recommendation who had done the same ones, as iI haven't done home study before I thought it would be good to know I have someone around if I find things a bit tricky. Its a personal choice really, if you look at what each option entails and you have the choice of what you do then it might be worth just getting a feel of whats involved in the units and choosing that way. If you feel confident or have more of an interest in a particular option then you should choose that way really.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
  • A-Vic
    Options
    thats not technically true. It depends what college you go to. I had a colleague study at a local college and they got told what options they where studying. I go to kaplan in manchester and i got to choose what options to study

But kaplin are self study not college, college structure base it around all students kaplin build it around your own learning plan or so ive been told
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    is Kaplan like Home learning college but in good words?
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    But kaplin are self study not college

Not true

I'm at Kaplan evenings :)
  • A-Vic
    Options
    and thats kaplin classes am saying mainstream college for example i go to oldham college (as in local education)
  • messedup89
    Options
    But kaplin are self study not college,

I go Kaplan on day release
  • messedup89
    Options
    and thats kaplin classes am saying mainstream college for example i go to oldham college (as in local education)

you learn just like you would at a normal college tho. You just get a choice for your options. its better!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    AK did you get to choose we didnt thats what am saying the learning plan is made prior
  • messedup89
    Options
    AK did you get to choose we didnt thats what am saying the learning plan is made prior

you get to chose at kaplan
  • lisnic
    lisnic Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    im doing diploma pathway so slightly different choices

i picked btc and audit from 3 - the other was ptc (im going to do this after everything else as an extra)

under diploma you must do mac, unit 10, dfs and 2 of the 3 at the final level

under diploma cash management is compulsory at intermediate

i would suggest you do pick cash management as a few key bits in this overlap with few key bits in dfs which when doing dfs helped me

also look at what you want to do - in practice then both taxes would be more useful otherlines like working in a business (i work in mngt accounts dept) the business tax was a must and audit more useful than ptc

hth!
  • mrspnut
    mrspnut Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I go to a normal day release college and we were allowed to choose our own options.

I chose BTC and PTC as that's what I was interested in, and sat the PTC exam this morning. I'm also going to do Audit as an extra after the june exams so I can gain the full exemption from the next level.
  • messedup89
    Options
    I go to a normal day release college and we were allowed to choose our own options.

I chose BTC and PTC as that's what I was interested in, and sat the PTC exam this morning. I'm also going to do Audit as an extra after the june exams so I can gain the full exemption from the next level.

what do you mean the full exemption? Ur exempt from the first 3 exams from completeing level 4?
  • oh confused one
    oh confused one Registered Posts: 128 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    i get the choice of my options.

so can any1 help?

All I would say is - that if you aren't great at exams then go for Cash Managment and Auditing as your optional subjects as neither of these have any formal exam in either June or December.

If you want to do Business tax you should really do the personal tax as well. I have opted for the tax route and think it is quite a lot to take in at once as even tho we only started in September we have this week taken PCR and Personal Tax exams - the worry being if I fail one or both I will have a whole week of eams in the summer. Just something to bear in mind
Privacy Policy