amending accounts

mc25
mc25 Registered Posts: 232 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi,

Just a quick clarification, I 've got a client who approached me to redo his account for last year as he was not happy with previous accountant figure, I have redone the accounts and yes there is a big defference, how do i go about amending his return for 2007/2008 or what is the procedure.

Any comments highly appreciated

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    this would ring alarm bells for me! Do you know why your figures are showing such a big difference to the previous accountants?
  • mc25
    Looking at the previous accountant figure I think he has used appr. figures like bank balance (closing bal) it don't even match with what is on the bank statement and i reckon all expenses not recorded.
  • ROCK
    ROCK Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    Assuming you mean self employed accounts then you need to either file an amended tax return online or write to the tax office saying you want to repair the tax return and enclose the revised supplement pages
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    mc25 wrote: »
    Looking at the previous accountant figure I think he has used appr. figures like bank balance (closing bal) it don't even with what is on the bank statement and i reckon all expenses not recorded.

It wouldn't match exactly due to outstanding lodgements and unpresented cheques though possibly?

I would be concerned if someone came to me with lots of new information which suddenly reduced their tax, but if you are happy with what you've got and you think the previous accountant did make a mistake then I would do as paulshawyer said.

Why hasn't the client taken this up with his old accountant - surely if a mistake has been made the old accountant could have refiled at no charge?
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

I agree with BW regarding the alarm bells or Christmas ones now (Ho, ho, ho).

Have you written to the previous accountant for a copy of accounts and last tax return submitted with computations? That would be normal practice when taking on a new client and would enable you to see exactly where the differences are.
  • mc25
    thanks

Thanks all for your replies, I have got a copy of the accounts filed by the old accountant and like i said i really do not understand how he got his figures i.e bank bal and capital acc. they dont seem to match what i have got, i have rechecked all this and my figures apprears to be ok. I was going to file the amended accounts online but when i log into the hmrc website it only allows me to file the 2008/2009 accounts which i will be doing shortly but I cannot see anyway i can file the amended 2007/2008 accounts unless I am doing something wrong. Please advice how to go about this.

Thanks
Privacy Policy