Wedding

messedup89
messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
So whats the average price seem to be for a wedding? Excluding honeymoon

Comments

• Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    hi, i got married in September and all came to £16Keuros, about £14K i believe more or less

we were 120 people and had cocktails and canapes followed by 5 course meal

honeymoon was £800
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    My Niece just got married abroad all together 4k
  • messedup89
    Marga wrote: »
    hi, i got married in September and all came to £16Keuros, about £14K i believe more or less

we were 120 people and had cocktails and canapes followed by 5 course meal

honeymoon was £800

wow thats expensive!
  • messedup89
    A-Vic wrote: »
    My Niece just got married abroad all together 4k

that better, i like that :)
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Our venue do a package for £3k. Includes welcome drinks, canapes, hire of the room, 3 course meal for 50. DJ for evening and buffet for 70. Also bridal suite for the wedding night and breakfast the next morning! Have to pay over £400 for the registrar to come to the venue though!

Everything else that is left (invites, dress, suits, rings, flowers, cake and I'm sure other bits I've forgotten about right now!) you can get for a variety of prices if you look around.
  • CrazySexyCool
    CrazySexyCool Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    It just so happens that Weddings are what I do. I wouldn't get married with less than £8K. 15k would be very nice. I have seen some good weddings that I would guess are aound the £6k mark. The best websites to enquire are youandyourwedding and confetti. You'd be best asking them as they have a variety of budgets and different expectations.
  • messedup89
    Lou1234 wrote: »
    Our venue do a package for £3k. Includes welcome drinks, canapes, hire of the room, 3 course meal for 50. DJ for evening and buffet for 70. Also bridal suite for the wedding night and breakfast the next morning! Have to pay over £400 for the registrar to come to the venue though!

Everything else that is left (invites, dress, suits, rings, flowers, cake and I'm sure other bits I've forgotten about right now!) you can get for a variety of prices if you look around.

wheres that?
  • messedup89
    It just so happens that Weddings are what I do. I wouldn't get married with less than £8K. 15k would be very nice. I have seen some good weddings that I would guess are aound the £6k mark. The best websites to enquire are youandyourwedding and confetti. You'd be best asking them as they have a variety of budgets and different expectations.

15k i wish! I'll check out those websites. Thanks :)
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    i did it for about 4k....no honeymoon yet !!!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I wouldn't get married with less than £8K.

You might not but it's possible on a fraction of that.

I got married for less than £500 including the licence, rings, costumes and an informal reception for close friends and family. I've also known two separate work colleagues who were still paying for their wedding days when they were getting divorced!

Why the necessity of paying for a big day for everyone else when it should really be for just the two of you? I'd rather have a memorable but still affordable day than a hugely expensive one that could become a financial millstone for the next three or four years.
  • mark130273
    blobbyh wrote: »
    You might not but it's possible on a fraction of that.

I got married for less than £500 including the licence, rings, costumes and an informal reception for close friends and family. I've also known two separate work colleagues who were still paying for their wedding days when they were getting divorced!

Why the necessity of paying for a big day for everyone else when it should really be for just the two of you? I'd rather have a memorable but still affordable day than a hugely expensive one that could become a financial millstone for the next three or four years.

thats a very good call.....if you wish to have a comfortable lifestyle when married or on the other hand want a "no expense" spared wedding then its upto you but like blobbyh said "pay for it now" or be in debt for a heck of a long time !!!
  • Marga
    well to be honest the guests paid for 9K so it costs us (me and my hubby just 5K:))

i explain....
    We live in England, my family lives in spain and my husband family lives in Ireland
    We did the wedding in spain so as they couldnt give us a "material gift" they gave us money

so with that we paid the banquet so we just had to actually pay with our own money the rings, flowers, gifts for them, my dress (already £1200), my husband's, clothes, hairdresser beautician etc etc...

i didnt mind the money we paid because we all had such a ball!!!!
  • mark130273
    well to be honest the guests paid for 9K so it costs us (me and my hubby just 5K:))

i explain....
    We live in England, my family lives in spain and my husband family lives in Ireland
    We did the wedding in spain so as they couldnt give us a "material gift" they gave us money

so with that we paid the banquet so we just had to actually pay with our own money the rings, flowers, gifts for them, my dress (already £1200), my husband's, clothes, hairdresser beautician etc etc...

i didnt mind the money we paid because we all had such a ball!!!!

well at least it shows us that there is different ways on financing a big expense and how its done in vairous environments and countries...
  • Marga
    yeah that is very common in spain as most couples already live together pre marriage so basically they have everything they want except money lol
  • mark130273
    yeah that is very common in spain as most couples already live together pre marriage so basically they have everything they want except money lol

think that would be classed as cheeky barstewards over here !!!
  • Marga
    i went to a wedding over in Kent.

The couple had been living together for years now and had a child so in the invitation they sent us included a card saying "you know we have been living togerher for quite a while but never got a honeymoon so if you are to give us a present please let it be in the form of Tomas cook vouchers"
  • mark130273
    i went to a wedding over in Kent.

The couple had been living together for years now and had a child so in the invitation they sent us included a card saying "you know we have been living togerher for quite a while but never got a honeymoon so if you are to give us a present please let it be in the form of Tomas cook vouchers"

wow....i wouldnt never even thought of asking that ......

im still tryign to save and get a decent honeymoon....had small little get aways but with little one...so mighth have to wait till shes moved out !!
  • Marga
    mark130273 wrote: »
    wow....i wouldnt never even thought of asking that ......

im still tryign to save and get a decent honeymoon....had small little get aways but with little one...so mighth have to wait till shes moved out !!

to be honest it didnt bother me at all as i didnt know the couple that way and didnt know what to get them so we threw in some vouchers worth £80

our honeymoon only lasted 5 days and we didnt go that far, just Inverness but i loved it in there..... i didnt want a big big honeymoon like the ones people go Caribbean, Maldives, you name it ....
  • messedup89
    to be honest it didnt bother me at all as i didnt know the couple that way and didnt know what to get them so we threw in some vouchers worth £80

our honeymoon only lasted 5 days and we didnt go that far, just Inverness but i loved it in there..... i didnt want a big big honeymoon like the ones people go Caribbean, Maldives, you name it ....

i gotta say we have plans for our honeymoon to be in the Caribbean - 3 week (or 2) in Dominica and St Lucia
  • Marga
    messedup89 wrote: »
    i gotta say we have plans for our honeymoon to be in the Caribbean - 3 week (or 2) in Dominica and St Lucia

and i hope you enjoy it!!!!

:)
  • messedup89
    and i hope you enjoy it!!!!

:)

i hope i get to have it!
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Agree with Robert, spend whatever you can afford, don't leave yourself with a huge mountain of debt.

The last wedding I went to the couple had been together for years (so long I thought they were married & I'd been left off the guest list, lol). They asked for contributions towards the honeymoon, which I thought was a brilliant idea, didn't mind at all.

BTW went to St Luia for our Silver Wedding and Antigua for 50th birthday last year, recommend both, but go at the right time of year, probably Spring, September/Oct is hurricane season!

PS Our honeymoon was a weekend in London - cost less than £50!! Can't remember what the wedding cost, so long ago (31 years)
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    if we measure the inflation on the £50 you spent on your honey moon in 1978 .. i should must say in 31 years time Pound wasnt that badly affected by the inflation.... it might sound like a stupid post .. but it just came into my mind and feel like posting it . wat do u reckon ?
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    i hope i get to have it!

Mark my words, you will regret saying that when you are older
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    For £3,000 we are getting:

Venue
    Chair covers/sashes and table confetti
    Reception drinks
    3 course meal for 40 guests including drink followed by tea/coffee and toasting drink
    Evening buffet for 60 guests
    DJ
    Bridal suite and breakfast

My dress is costing about £50-60 (not inc. postage)! If you want to PM me I'll tell you where I'm getting it. A friend of mine got married recently and used the same company and although her dress isn't one I'd go for myself it was beautifully made and fitted her perfectly.

My bouquet is £27. I am having silk flowers because I get terrible hayfever but they are also cheaper than real flowers! And means I can keep them :)

Shoes will be about £15, planning on getting them from debenhams/bhs in the sale.

We are getting a simply decorated cake from M&S then having a friend decorate it for us.

Rings we haven't really thought about too much yet.

A family friend is doing my hair for next to nothing and I'll probably do my own make-up.

The most expensive thing we've found is the photographer. It takes a lot of searching but we have found one for £450 who provides:
    CD with all images
    Album with 40 prints
    A further 30 prints
    15 enlargements
    A DVD with musical background
    A presentation print

Invitations are quite expensive as well. I think we spent £100 on 20 day invitations, 30 evening invitations and 40 place cards but they are beautiful. And we ordered them when they had an offer of free postage!

Have fun planning your wedding!
  • mark130273
    Gem7321 wrote: »

Venue
    Reception drinks
    3 course meal for 40 guests including drink followed by tea/coffee and toasting drink
    DJ

My dress is costing about £50-60 (not inc. postage)! If you want to PM me I'll tell you where I'm getting it. A friend of mine got married recently and used the same company and although her dress isn't one I'd go for myself it was beautifully made and fitted her perfectly.

My bouquet is £27. I am having silk flowers because I get terrible hayfever but they are also cheaper than real flowers! And means I can keep them :)

Shoes will be about £15, planning on getting them from debenhams/bhs in the sale.

We are getting a simply decorated cake from M&S then having a friend decorate it for us.

A family friend is doing my hair for next to nothing and I'll probably do my own make-up.

The most expensive thing we've found is the photographer. It takes a lot of searching but we have found one for £450 who provides:
    CD with all images
    Album with 40 prints
    A further 30 prints
    15 enlargements
    A presentation print

Invitations are quite expensive as well. I think we spent £100 on 20 day invitations, 30 evening invitations and 40 place cards but they are beautiful. And we ordered them when they had an offer of free postage!

hope my invite is in the post !!
  • messedup89
    Gem7321 wrote: »

Venue
    Reception drinks
    DJ

CD with all images
    Album with 40 prints
    A further 30 prints
    15 enlargements
    A presentation print

Finally found a venue.
    Its going to costs around £4000
    that includes the venue hire, DJ, organist/pianist for 2 hrs, red carpet reception, 3 course meal for 50, buffet for 80, partial toastmaster, 4 meetings with their wedding planner, chair covers and sashes.

As for invitations its going to cost around £100 for day invitations, evening invitations, name cards, servietes, cake boxes, thank you cards and favour boxes!

Havent looked at anything else yet.
    Got plenty of time but its looking pretty expensive!
  • Marga
    Finally found a venue.
    Its going to costs around £4000
    that includes the venue hire, DJ, organist/pianist for 2 hrs, red carpet reception, 3 course meal for 50, buffet for 80, partial toastmaster, 4 meetings with their wedding planner, chair covers and sashes.

As for invitations its going to cost around £100 for day invitations, evening invitations, name cards, servietes, cake boxes, thank you cards and favour boxes!

Havent looked at anything else yet.
    Got plenty of time but its looking pretty expensive!

i saw our wedding day as a day were all mine and my husband family were going to be together probably for the only time in their lives so i kept thinking it was worth it ..

A tip is to focus your money in three (max 4) things you really want and spend the money in here....then the rest can be just not as important...
  • messedup89

A tip is to focus your money in three (max 4) things you really want and spend the money in here....then the rest can be just not as important...

hmmm thats going to be tough........
  • olmotors
    olmotors Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    we did ours for 6k ish. most of the money went to the photographer as we felt good photos was important. we saved some cash too as we did our own place cards, invites, favour boxes etc. its more personal too...
Privacy Policy