DFS which text book

Options
reddwarf
reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Which text book did you all like best? I thought Osborne were the very best but wondering if a little bit too streamlined after some things in Personal Tax book were missing...
thought anyone?

Comments

• Ed1
    Ed1 Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    What was missing from the Osborne book for PTC?
  • donnaalwill
    donnaalwill Registered Posts: 116 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I haven't used any other book than the Kaplan ones so have nothing to compare to. Are the Osborne books much better?
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Missing: The new penalies for incorrect returns and van scale charges. Couple of other things which there seemed to be debate about whether or not on the syllabus and in what detail; furnished hol lettings, and pensions and redundancy payments.

The general concensus seems to be 'Osbrone are best, BPP good but have quite a few mistakes and Kaplan go in to lots of details not always a good thing(?)'.

Other thoughts?
  • Ed1
    Ed1 Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I've always found Osborne books to be very good and I'll be using them for DFS as that's what my learning provider, Eagle, gives us.

At the end of the day, I'm sure no one publisher is absolutely perfect. However, in all exams I've had up to now using Osborne, there has been enough information in each book for me to have had the potential to get 100% in each exam.
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    im all honesty, apart from where we have to do questions from the books in class, ive never used any off them
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    anything but kaplin too many errors and difficult to follow.

Ive been advised to use BPP so ordering the unit 33 tomorrow
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    anything but kaplin too many errors and difficult to follow.

Are they definitely errors? With respect, some students have been looking at a topic for so long that something may seem like an error but it isn't.

If it is, then if Kaplan material is anything like BPP there is the author's email address in either the front or back of the material and you should bring these errors to their attention.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Are they definitely errors? With respect, some students have been looking at a topic for so long that something may seem like an error but it isn't.

If it is, then if Kaplan material is anything like BPP there is the author's email address in either the front or back of the material and you should bring these errors to their attention.

Kind regards
    Steve

Yes steve you know how much i enjoyed using clairs book and found that extreamly useful but unfortunately it was the only one i did, to count on the PTC book there is 3 pages full of corrections on it as given by kaplin, and have lost faith in them totally.

The problem i face now is do i continue to use the same text books under the same provider (which have been paid for in advance, as it was the college reading list) or do i pay out for a new ones as advised by my college tutor?

The fact that annoys me is why with so many errors why is the same text book still on sale even when kaplin have continued publishing the same book and no reprint has been offered?

Best regards

Vic
  • Greycow
    Greycow Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I have always used BPP and think they are great. I have purchased Kaplan for the additional questions but do not like the books for studying from.
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I used Osborne (and only Osborne) for DFS and passed it first time. I think it's perfectly good on its own, but Clare Finch's book is a good supplement.
  • Miss_HJ
    Miss_HJ Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I had both the osbourne and the AAT book, AAT one was much better overall, the osbourne was very repetative and long chapters with no questions untill the end! AAT book also gave a better step by step guide to things like consolidated balance sheets and cash flows.
    However the osbourne book was better for the ratios!
  • Miss_HJ
    Miss_HJ Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    AAT - BPP book
Privacy Policy