How to get a job in Accountancy

Options
chocolate Box
chocolate Box Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
Hi, I am studying the technician level over 2 years, so will be completing the course by June 2011. Presently I am working as an administrator for a large company and really want to get a job in an accountancy firm or within the finance department of a company. There aren't many job vacancies at the moment and even though I send off applications, I'm lucky if I even get a reply, let alone an interview.

Does anyone have any tips? I am willing to start at the bottom of a new career and therefore willing to take a pay cut to acheive this.

Would you recommend sending speculative letters to companies, or would I be better joining a recruitment agency?

With limited experience in finance (yet over 17 years work experience), no one seems interested,- if I can't get a new job, then I won't be able to get my full MAAT at the end of my course.

Any advise welcome

Comments

• carolyn
    carolyn Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    My first degree is in computing. But I can not find a job in IT. So I changed my subject toaccounting. I started my studying AAT last July. And four months later, I found a volunteering job in Big Issue. I did credit control. That was very helpful. One month later, I got a temp job. Although only one week, it was very helpful for your job hunting. Two months later, I got a job offer about financial clerk, that was a permanent job in a university. Now I enjoy my job very much.
    So don't give up. Keep going. Try to find a volunteering job.

Good Luck.

Carolyn
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Presently I am working as an administrator for a large company and really want to get a job in an accountancy firm or within the finance department of a company.

Since you won't complete for another two years, are there no finance openings within the large company you're already working in? Internal promotions are easier to come by than brand new openings and unless your company outsources it's finances to another location or country, I'd make your new career intentions known to your current employer.
  • chocolate Box
    Options
    Thanks Carolyn and Robert, I will keep trying to find something.

In response to finding promotion where I currently work,- unfortunately our finance department is located 2 hours drive away from where I live, so its not an option,- good idea though.

It would be nice if employers sent out a thanks but no thanks letter, rather than just to leave you in the dark. Oh well, I'll just keep applying, fingers crossed!!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    It would be nice if employers sent out a thanks but no thanks letter, rather than just to leave you in the dark.

Yes that would be nice but the time spent composing and posting such letters for no commercial gain is just an unnecessary cost, especially when profitability may already be threatened in the current climate!

Not quite the same, but we don't write "No thank you" letters to people we receive unsolicited mail from, do we? ;-)
  • chocolate Box
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Yes that would be nice but the time spent composing and posting such letters for no commercial gain is just an unnecessary cost, especially when profitability may already be threatened in the current climate!

Not quite the same, but we don't write "No thank you" letters to people we receive unsolicited mail from, do we? ;-)

Hi, sorry, maybe didn't make that bit clear,- wanting a thanks but no thanks letter was actually from responding to job advertisements, not application on speculative purposes. I think thats just basic manners. My company always at least acknowledge any applicants when they have taken the time to respond to an advert.

I agree, I wouldn't expect a company to reply if I had just sent them my CV enquiring for vacancies.
Privacy Policy