Director of Two companies?

Options
David@accountingsource
David@accountingsource Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
I am new to being a MIP and only recently started my part-time company, (I have no clients yet).

A friend/potential client, who is a director of a successful company (ltd) with two other directors, wishes to start a new company on his own in a similar field; and he asked me the following questions;

Is he allowed to be a full time Director of both companies?
Are there any tax implications (CT tax allowance) or regulations he must follow?
I have searched business link and Companies house website, for advice but found nothing related.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this might be my first client :)

Many thanks David

Comments

• groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    He can be a director of as many companies as he likes. However you would have to disclose in the accounts any related party transactions between the two companies.

Also if he is a director and shareholder there could be tax implications with associated companies depending on his level of shareholding.

Only on a none accounting issue, you said he was starting a new company in a similar line of work, what does his contract of employment with 1st company say about that?
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    groundy wrote: »
    Only on a none accounting issue, you said he was starting a new company in a similar line of work, what does his contract of employment with 1st company say about that?

Even though it is a similar area is it in competition with Company 1? He has a duty of care to Company 1 and depending of the nature of the new company (i.e. in competition) he may need to make the other directors aware of his intentions.
    Regards,

Burg
  • David@accountingsource
    David@accountingsource Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Many thanks for you help and advice.

David
Privacy Policy