Is one month's notice one calendar month or 4 weeks?

Options
teakay25
teakay25 Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi Everyone,

If a contract of employment states one months notice and a notice is handed in on 18th January??

Would it be 4 weeks - therefore the last working day being 12th Feb or would the last day be on the 17th Feb or would you be expected to work on the 18th Feb???

Any advice would be great thank you

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Logically I would say it depends on how the person is paid. If a person is paid calendar monthly, eg on the 1st of every month, then one calendar month's notice would be appropriate. However, if they are paid weekly, two-weekly or four-weekly, then I would say that four weeks notice might be more appropriate. My opinion!
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    teakay25 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

If a contract of employment states one months notice and a notice is handed in on 18th January??

Would it be 4 weeks - therefore the last working day being 12th Feb or would the last day be on the 17th Feb or would you be expected to work on the 18th Feb???

Are you about to resign tomorrow?

I would make it clear that I intended to work my notice period, and give the date I expected to be my last day. In your example, I would count one calendar month forwards to the 18th Feb, and then round it up to the end of the week; hand in resignation tomorrow, last day Friday 19th Feb. Even though it's five full working weeks, it's only a calendar month and a day.

Having said that, when I did it last year they thought I was giving them a very generous amount of notice. It depends on the company and your relationship with it: I didn't want to give them anything they could hold against me by giving too short a notice period.
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I would say would be expected to work a calendar month and your last day would be 17th Feb, unless you wanted to work on a couple more days.

I would expect your contract to state 4 weeks if you were expected to work 4 weeks notice.

Its definately a good idea to write your intended last day in you resignation letter
Privacy Policy