An apology to Primble and anyone else I might have offended

RowanBRowanB Well-KnownRegistered Posts: 158
Hi,

I would like to offer a sincere apology for my unnecessary, provocative post about the AAT qualification being easy and insult directed at Primble. You are clearly a nice person Primble, and I am sorry for overreacting to a post of yours that you didn't mean literally and I was far too sensitive about.

The truth is, it doesn't matter who you are, the AAT qualification is not a stroll in the park for anyone and even though I maintain its concepts are simpler than BSc Hons Maths, it still requires a lot of hard work in terms of absorbing facts and becoming adept at performing the necesary accounting methods. Anyone can fail AAT exams under the wrong circumstances. It's also a really valuable qualification.

Although I said I was abandoning AAT, I've had a timely stroke of luck! A couple of days ago a small company that I had previously rung about doing some voluntary accounts work for, called me, saying there was a place for me. I'm going to meet them on Monday for a chat. Now there's a government scheme which offers funding for people doing voluntary work for small companies in relevant positions that would benefit from doing level 4 qualifications, and it's likely that I can do AAT for free if I volunteer for these people, so it looks like I'm doing AAT again! I have to do the whole thing in 6 months though because I begin postgraduate studies in statistics in September, but I think I can pull it off if I work really hard.

I hope you can accept my apology Primble and anyone else I've offended.
«1

Comments

  • PrimblePrimble Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 734
    RowanB wrote: »
    Hi,

    I would like to offer a sincere apology for my unnecessary, provocative post about the AAT qualification being easy and insult directed at Primble. You are clearly a nice person Primble, and I am sorry for overreacting to a post of yours that you didn't mean literally and I was far too sensitive about.

    The truth is, it doesn't matter who you are, the AAT qualification is not a stroll in the park for anyone and even though I maintain its concepts are simpler than BSc Hons Maths, it still requires a lot of hard work in terms of absorbing facts and becoming adept at performing the necesary accounting methods. Anyone can fail AAT exams under the wrong circumstances. It's also a really valuable qualification.

    Although I said I was abandoning AAT, I've had a timely stroke of luck! A couple of days ago a small company that I had previously rung about doing some voluntary accounts work for, called me, saying there was a place for me. I'm going to meet them on Monday for a chat. Now there's a government scheme which offers funding for people doing voluntary work for small companies in relevant positions that would benefit from doing level 4 qualifications, and it's likely that I can do AAT for free if I volunteer for these people, so it looks like I'm doing AAT again! I have to do the whole thing in 6 months though because I begin postgraduate studies in statistics in September, but I think I can pull it off if I work really hard.

    I hope you can accept my apology Primble and anyone else I've offended.


    Thanks Rowan, we can all fly of the handle (i do frequently) It's really good to hear that you can carry on and i wish you all the best.

    Maybe see you around on here :)
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    Thanks. Good luck to you too, although I need more luck than you because you have a job in accounts and I don't!
    Hopefully I'm on to something good with this voluntary work though.
  • PrimblePrimble Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 734
    RowanB wrote: »
    Thanks. Good luck to you too, although I need more luck than you because you have a job in accounts and I don't!
    Hopefully I'm on to something good with this voluntary work though.

    lol i guess but you find things easier! you dont actually use what you learn much in reality as every job role is different and work is more computer based.
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,415
    I just think you got off on the wrong foot on these forums Rowan and you've later realised personal comments you made in haste were hurtful or were misconstrued. I've done this so many times in the past I'm a grandmaster at it, and the best thing - as you have done with this thread - is to make amends when you finally (and sometimes begrudgingly) accept you've done wrong, not to foolishly stand firm regardless or else people will simply grow to ignore you.

    Not everyone who uses these forums is a student, there are different ages at different levels. Some are fully qualified members, not just at the AAT level but going even further, some like yourself aren't yet working in accounts but many are and have years of real world experiences to draw upon. You will also find that AAT world is often considerably different to the real world, some things apply the same, some don't and sometimes you will be overruled no matter how much you maintain you are correct.

    Accept the different personalities on here, have a glance into the Chat forum and steer clear of fire fights until you've established a good reputation otherwise you'll just establish a poor one. And glad to see you've dropped that post script from earlier!
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    Thanks for your forgiveness Blobby.

    A lot of my posts were intended to challenge the reputation-based forum mentality you've alluded to, which I believe often stifles constructive discussion. For instance, Richard's / my thread explaining the simple interest formula, unless I'm mistaken, was perfectly valid, bar its false reference to 'annualised percentage rate', yet instead of simply highlighting that erroneous sentence, most replies concerned the achievements of certain posters rather than the actual accuracy of our post.

    I don't believe a reputation-based forum is constructive, but that seems to be the way of the AAT forum world, so thank you for educating me about that. I have wasted enough energy failing to overcome it.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Rowan speaking as a stuggling student any advise given is taken gratefully however given with an air arrogance and self rightous which i feel can be at times the way you put yourself accross will be jumped upon by a lot of people on here.

    We as a group are sometimes pretty clicky but that has come with experience of what we loving call our trolls (people with nothing better to do with their lives than to go on forums just to cause trouble, and at times personally attact very respected members of the forums) these people at first did seem to have valid points but then came to show their true colours. This am afraid is why when people who havnt been on the forums very long then start to argue and push their own vue points accross are jumped upon.

    myself after 3 years of coming to the forums have found this to be a fantasic study aid and am sure has helped me get as far as i have because of it as well as a great place to meet like minded people.

    You seem to be an intelgent and articulate person and i hope you continue to add experience and give as well as receive information when called upon like a lot of the memebers and student do.

    regards


    Vic
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    Thanks Vic, for your advice, compliments and well-wishing.

    I appreciate why I haven't come across well, although my defence would be that I was retaliating to 'self-righteousness' and 'arrogance'.
  • PrimblePrimble Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 734
    RowanB wrote: »
    Thanks Vic, for your advice, compliments and well-wishing.

    I appreciate why I haven't come across well, although my defence would be that I was retaliating to 'self-righteousness' and 'arrogance'.

    i dont find people cliquey, i just realise people actually know each other in reality through classes etc.

    the forum is good for us norfolk distance learners! lol
  • AK002AK002 Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,492
    Primble wrote: »
    i dont find people cliquey, i just realise people actually know each other in reality through classes etc.

    I've never met anyone of them LOL!
  • steveJsteveJ Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 694
    Same here. Ive never met anyone from the forums. I think this is a great place for like minded people to meet and hopefully help each other achieve what they are aiming for.

    Im representing the lonely crew from Dagenham, Essex so this forum is great for me !!
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    no one from my college even come on here and ive only met a few people i think what i said was taken in the wrong context
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,415
    RowanB wrote: »
    Thanks Vic, for your advice, compliments and well-wishing.

    I appreciate why I haven't come across well, although my defence would be that I was retaliating to 'self-righteousness' and 'arrogance'.

    And your constant references to being a Bsc in whatever it is that you are and being able to pass exams in your sleep that others struggle with, aren't comments borne out of stupendous arrogance? Along with Richard-AAT full member-K (or are you actually the same person?) and his quite unbelieveably terse dismissals of Sandy Hood, Steve Collings and Blue Wednesday, you've made the worst start possible to your 'careers' on these forums and I seriously believe you're rapidly in danger of both becoming a joke. You're both clearly intelligent people but your delivery and interaction with others ranges from the good to the truly awful and absolutely stinks of the Leopold and Loeb complexes you seem to hold. Both of you seemingly glow in positive feedback but are frequently dismissive or even rude to that which you might view as less welcome.

    My first clash with you Rowan was when you personally criticised another member for (in your opinion) being unable to construct legible paragraphs to your satisfaction. So do not portray yourself as a victim here when you're quite clearly the perpetrator. If yourself and Richard object to your supposedly academic threads being drawn down to personal levels by others, I suggest you follow the same rules you expect others to adhere to since people are simply reacting to you, rather than the other way around.
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    blobbyh wrote: »
    And your constant references to being a Bsc in whatever it is that you are and being able to pass exams in your sleep that others struggle with, aren't comments borne out of stupendous arrogance? Along with Richard-AAT full member-K (or are you actually the same person?) and his quite unbelieveably terse dismissals of Sandy Hood, Steve Collings and Blue Wednesday, you've made the worst start possible to your 'careers' on these forums and I seriously believe you're rapidly in danger of both becoming a joke. You're both clearly intelligent people but your delivery and interaction with others ranges from the good to the truly awful and absolutely stinks of the Leopold and Loeb complexes you seem to hold. Both of you seemingly glow in positive feedback but are frequently dismissive or even rude to that which you might view as less welcome.
    .

    Richard is a different person. Why talk about him in relation to me?

    Richard's references to my BSc Hons in Maths were tongue and cheek and not my idea. The post-script about my degree and comment about being able to do AAT exams in my sleep were in direct retaliation to a comment about me wasting taxpayers money and 'not knowing how the world works'. I don't actually know what you mean about constant reference to my degree. I don't see how it's any more frequent than your reference to being a recruitment consultant.

    My comment about poor spelling was in direct response to Messed Up teasing me about taking a long time to write a post and had no malice. Was pure teasing in response to teasing. I also get on well with Messed Up.

    Please show me my 'quite unbelieveably terse dismissals of Sandy Hood, Steve Collings and Blue Wednesday'.

    I challenge you to find one post I've made expressing that sentiment. Absolutely ridiculous Blobby. You really are trying too hard to victimise me.
    blobbyh wrote: »
    'frequently dismissive or even rude to that which you might view as less welcome.'

    WHAAAAAAAAAAT??? What is that about Blobby? You are talking nonsense.
    blobbyh wrote: »
    'If you object to your supposedly academic threads being drawn down to personal levels by others,'

    I don't object to that. Where have I objected to that? I've never objected to that. You're talking absolute nonsense.

    Bit of advice Blobby. Before you make accusations, it might actually be a good idea to check the offence has been committed before you take action.
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,415
    RowanB wrote: »
    Please show me my 'quite unbelieveably terse dismissals of Sandy Hood, Steve Collings and Blue Wednesday'.

    I challenge you to find one post I've made expressing that sentiment. Absolutely ridiculous Blobby. You really are trying too hard to victimise me.

    If you read it again, I was actually writing about Richard.... and if you stop re-editing for just a second I might have time to address some of your other points.

    As for saying you are one and the same, I was also tongue in cheek (always a good retrospective excuse for when you've cocked up, especially if you add 'lol') but you must admit to sharing several traits. You both became active at roughly the same time, have both clearly pissed off other members as can be evidenced by comments elsewhere, turn up together, never know when to stop digging yourselves further into a hole...

    ... X Factor had Jedward and here we have Rowchard.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    blobbyh wrote: »

    ... X Factor had Jedward and here we have Rowchard.

    Now that was funny :lol:
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    blobbyh wrote: »
    If you read it again, I was actually writing about Richard.... and if you stop re-editing for just a second I might have time to address some of your other points.

    As for saying you are one and the same, I was also tongue in cheek (always a good retrospective excuse for when you've cocked up, especially if you add 'lol')

    Errrrrrrm... I didn't even write the post.... Richard made a post referring to me as BSc Hons Maths. I would say it was tongue in cheek, but it wasn't even me that made the post. Besides, why take it so seriously?
    blobbyh wrote: »
    but you must admit to sharing several traits. You both became active at roughly the same time, have both clearly pissed off other members as can be evidenced by comments elsewhere, turn up together, never know when to stop digging yourselves further into a hole...

    ... X Factor had Jedward and here we have Rowchard.

    So basically, I'm suffering because you don't like Richard's posts. Well, what the hell can I do about that? Basically Blobby, stop telling lies.

    Oh yeah, if you'd like to explain the following unsubstantiated accusations, it would be nice:
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Originally Posted by blobbyh View Post
    'you are frequently dismissive or even rude to that which you might view as less welcome.'
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Originally Posted by blobbyh View Post
    'you object to your supposedly academic threads being drawn down to personal levels by others,'
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    A-Vic wrote: »
    Now that was funny :lol:

    You'd probably find it less amusing if the lies were being told about you.
  • troytroy Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 275
    Lame question?....but is there some kind of book going on to see how long this dispute can keep going for..or how many threads that it will get on?

    Come on, what prize do I win for guessing right? :)
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    Troy. I'd back over 100 posts at 1/2 because Blobby is likely to keep telling lies and trying to demonise me and pretend that I'm Richard.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    RowanB wrote: »
    You'd probably find it less amusing if the lies were being told about you.

    nope am pretty sure id still find it funny
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    OK Vic, well it just seems ironic how Blobby feels completely justified in making facietious remarks in heated arguments where he has told insidious lies, when he's the one who has previously shown great objectioin to doing just that.

    Let's see what unsubstantiated claptrap Blobby's going to spout next.
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,415
    JFC Rowan, can you stop your post editing for just a few seconds to give people a chance to respond, okay?

    First off, people cannot tell when tongue in cheek is and when it isn't. Primble's taxpayer comment may have been TIC for all you know and you can't have it both ways, reading other peoples posts as serious with yours meant to be light hearted. They certainly haven't read that way to date.

    Secondly, you've become entangled with the posts and dubious reputation of Richard whether you've chosen to or not. With his frequent name dropping of you in his threads combined with the mentions of your Bsc, this could be seen as adding authority and authenticity to the things he writes.

    Please calm down for a second, Rowan. I offered you an olive branch on this thread on the first page and you didn't take it but instead chose to write a heavily sarcastic reply in return. I now offer you this again as I still believe you could become a true asset to the forum instead of - and I say this quite deliberately - the a'hole you're in danger of becoming. We all have our off moments and it only adds to our reps by showing a little self control and humility at times...

    But Troy is right, I'm bored as **** with this now so this will be my last post on this thread.
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    blobbyh wrote: »
    JFC Rowan, can you stop your post editing for just a few seconds to give people a chance to respond, okay?

    No I'll keep editing if I need to.
    blobbyh wrote: »
    First off, people cannot tell when tongue in cheek is and when it isn't. Primble's taxpayer comment may have been TIC for all you know and you can't have it both ways, reading other peoples posts as serious with yours meant to be light hearted. They certainly haven't read that way to date.

    Yes. That particular post wasn't completely light-hearted. It was slightly serious in retaliation to Primble's post. Richard made references to my BSc Hons in Maths, but that's a choice he made. That has nothing to do with me. I didn't even say MY comments were tongue-in-cheek. I said Richard's reference which I didn't even make was tongue in cheek. Can you actually read Blobby?
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Secondly, you've become entangled with the posts and dubious reputation of Richard whether you've chosen to or not. With his frequent name dropping of you in his threads combined with the mentions of your Bsc, this could be seen as adding authority and authenticity to the things he writes.

    I think you might be attacking the wrong person then! Seeingly as it's him making the frigging posts!! If you can see I've become 'entangled with his reputation', maybe you should appreciate that and attack him instead?!
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Please calm down for a second, Rowan. I offered you an olive branch on this thread on the first page and you didn't take it but instead chose to write a heavily sarcastic reply in return.

    Heavily sarcastic? I explained how I don't like the reputation-based mentality of the forum. I don't like it. I think it stinks. I also conceded that I have to accept it and won't waste any more energy trying to overcome it. No sarcasm at all. Completely serious.
    blobbyh wrote: »
    - the a'hole you're in danger of becoming. We all have our off moments and it only adds to our reps by showing a little self control and humility at times...

    Oh, now I'm becoming an a'hole. How you find the audacity Blobby, I have no idea. You really need to have a good think about the stuff you write.

    Oh yeah, in your own time, an explanation for the following unsubstantiated remarks:
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Originally Posted by blobbyh View Post
    'you are frequently dismissive or even rude to that which you might view as less welcome.'
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Originally Posted by blobbyh View Post
    'you object to your supposedly academic threads being drawn down to personal levels by others,'
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    I am extremely annoyed about your accusations Blobby. The things you have said are absolutely ridiculous. Do you realise that just saying things doesn't make them true? You've told lies.
  • A-VicA-Vic Expertise Guaranteed Registered Posts: 6,970
    Still laughing
  • RowanBRowanB Well-Known Registered Posts: 158
    Thought so. To be honest, I expect Blobby's legion of sycophants to defend him to the hilt over his false accusations.
  • RichardKRichardK Well-Known Registered Posts: 107
    blobbyh wrote: »
    And your constant references to being a Bsc in whatever it is that you are and being able to pass exams in your sleep that others struggle with, aren't comments borne out of stupendous arrogance? Along with Richard-AAT full member-K (or are you actually the same person?) and his quite unbelieveably terse dismissals of Sandy Hood, Steve Collings and Blue Wednesday, you've made the worst start possible to your 'careers' on these forums and I seriously believe you're rapidly in danger of both becoming a joke. You're both clearly intelligent people but your delivery and interaction with others ranges from the good to the truly awful and absolutely stinks of the Leopold and Loeb complexes you seem to hold. Both of you seemingly glow in positive feedback but are frequently dismissive or even rude to that which you might view as less welcome.

    My first clash with you Rowan was when you personally criticised another member for (in your opinion) being unable to construct legible paragraphs to your satisfaction. So do not portray yourself as a victim here when you're quite clearly the perpetrator. If yourself and Richard object to your supposedly academic threads being drawn down to personal levels by others, I suggest you follow the same rules you expect others to adhere to since people are simply reacting to you, rather than the other way around.

    Be carfeul regarding personal or insulting comments in this forum aimed at Rowan and I.

    Your comments are likely to be reported.

    As a recruitment consultant you should know better.


    Regards
    Richard
  • troytroy Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 275
    Yes....I might just tell the teacher on you all for being mean to each other and I am forced to hear it (well, read it actually LOL)

    OK already. Can we drop this now????
  • blobbyhblobbyh Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,415
    Looks like Rowan already beat you to it Richard but please go ahead and fill your own boots if you must. I'll take a warning from the forum admins if I need to (and have done so in the past) but certainly not from you.

    And I never said I was a recruitment consultant, I'm a Management Accountant at a recruitment agency but know enough of their inner workings to qualify my numerous comments on them. But enough about me, what do you do?
  • Ed1Ed1 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 51
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Looks like Rowan already beat you to it Richard but please go ahead and fill your own boots if you must. I'll take a warning from the forum admins if I need to (and have done so in the past) but certainly not from you.

    And I never said I was a recruitment consultant, I'm a Management Accountant at a recruitment agency but know enough of their inner workings to qualify my numerous comments on them. But enough about me, what do you do?
    He is an AAT Full Member, blobbyh.
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.