Advice much appreciated

Options
violeta
violeta Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi everybody!!

For a year I ve been trying to find a job within accountancy practice to start putting into practice what I have learned. I am on my Intermediate level at mo.
I applied for lots of jobs but the problem starts as soon as I apply. The application goes to the recruitment agency and that is the end of the applying process. Because I don't have previous experience none of the agencies want to pursue my application. I have been told that even if I would have full qualification without previous experience they won't be able to help me. I have updated my CV with all possible details needed and created very good cover letter as I did work in various financial companies for years.

I am worn out of trying and not getting anywhere just getting dissapointed all the time. I am thinking to start looking for work experience with practices but not sure how and where to start. I wonder if that would be another waste of time and another disapopintment.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS

Comments

• susiewong
    susiewong Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi

Have you tried charity work, I think there maybe some information about it on this website, it may get your foot in the door, so to speak?

Susie
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    susiewong wrote: »
    Hi

Have you tried charity work, I think there maybe some information about it on this website, it may get your foot in the door, so to speak?

Susie

Thats what I was going to say.

If you could work in a finance dept of a charity or anywhere voluntarily for a few months, you'd have some experience.

The government has started the "Future Jobs Fund", might be worth trying to search out, it lets companies employ people on a 6 month contract and grant funding pays their wage for this period.
  • Miss_HJ
    Miss_HJ Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    violeta wrote: »
    Hi everybody!!

For a year I ve been trying to find a job within accountancy practice to start putting into practice what I have learned. I am on my Intermediate level at mo.
    I applied for lots of jobs but the problem starts as soon as I apply. The application goes to the recruitment agency and that is the end of the applying process. Because I don't have previous experience none of the agencies want to pursue my application. I have been told that even if I would have full qualification without previous experience they won't be able to help me. I have updated my CV with all possible details needed and created very good cover letter as I did work in various financial companies for years.

I am worn out of trying and not getting anywhere just getting dissapointed all the time. I am thinking to start looking for work experience with practices but not sure how and where to start. I wonder if that would be another waste of time and another disapopintment.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS

You could try writing to local practices asking for a trial etc, I would phone first and get a contact name, explain what you are looking to do etc, if you get one response from 20 its worth it! even a week or 2 work experience for free would be something to add to the CV and make you "more employable" in recruiters work, it would show you going above and beyond to get experience. You never know if u make the right impression you could find urself a job that way!!

Its not easy but dont give up!! Good luck!!
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Getting a foot in the door can be tricky.
    Typically practices are flat out in January and someone to bring files up or return customers accounts, and even filter phone calls can be quite welcome.
    Not what you or I might call accounts - but a foot in the door.
    Just because it is February, all is not lost. There will be places where staff were not allowed holidays in January where they are heading off for R & R and may need someone to do similar sorts of jobs while they're away.
    Again a foot in the door.

Once you've been able to show that you're the sort of person who'd fit in you will be at a distinct advantage in terms of the accountancy junior roles that might crop up.

I'm a lecturer at Chichester College, we've had a lot of students over the years. Many are working in practice, and will pass the word on to their class mates when they know that a vacancy is coming up.
    If you go to college, put the word out that you are looking.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • anthony_12c
    anthony_12c Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I was in a similar situation, i felt i had a strong CV but the lack of work experience was hurting my chances of getting a job. So i started working part time in the Finance department of Oxfam in Newcastle.
  • violeta
    violeta Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thank you guys!!!

I will try charity, local practices and keep applying!! The good thing that I forgot to mention is that I do have a part tome job (debt management) and another one which I am doing from home (for electrical company checking invoices getting quotations etc) to top up my income.
    The thing is I would love to change this to one solid job within accountancy because that is the path I have chosen and feel happy doing. I am in my late 30es and would like to sort out my career asap.

Again thank you for your support, I feel more optimistic now and hopefully something will come along when I least expect it.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Dipak Thanki
    Dipak Thanki Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    This is what I will start doing soon. Grab the yellow pages, and post CV/Cover letter to every accounting firm/random accounting thingy lol, then wait.

Try looking for admin work, that counts as well I think.
Privacy Policy