Registering for Electronic VAT returns

Options
Sparkly
Sparkly Registered Posts: 139 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi All,
I'm wondering is anyone can help me on this. I do the VAT returns at my place of work and we now have to register to do them electronically. I've been reading the paperwork and it says that if you already have a log on for HMRC's online services you should add VAT returns under this log on. I am already enrolled for the HMRC online services for where I had to do my self assessment tax return, for business I do outside of my normal employment. What I am confused with is if I have to add VAT to my personal log on or set up a new log on in my employers name. I would have thought I would have to do it under my employers company name but I wasn't sure if you have to register as a company, or as a person who access the service.
I hope this makes sense! Any advice would be gratefully received, even if its poniting out that i'm a complete numpty and of course I don't do it under my own ID!
Thanks

Comments

• jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm wondering is anyone can help me on this. I do the VAT returns at my place of work and we now have to register to do them electronically. I've been reading the paperwork and it says that if you already have a log on for HMRC's online services you should add VAT returns under this log on. I am already enrolled for the HMRC online services for where I had to do my self assessment tax return, for business I do outside of my normal employment. What I am confused with is if I have to add VAT to my personal log on or set up a new log on in my employers name. I would have thought I would have to do it under my employers company name but I wasn't sure if you have to register as a company, or as a person who access the service.
    I hope this makes sense! Any advice would be gratefully received, even if its poniting out that i'm a complete numpty and of course I don't do it under my own ID!
    Thanks

I do a Self-Assessment for my other half and have a log-on for that. I also file VAT Returns etc at work and have a separate log-on for that under the name of the Company. I would recommend you keep them separate and set yourself up as a user for the Company you are working for.
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    You're not a numpty!

I would double check with the VAT online help line, but I am fairly certain you need to register as an agent to do online returns for your employers clients.

The two of us here that deal with VAT and PAYE are each registered as agents via our employers. We've both registered as non VAT agents and I'm currently waiting for my activation code as an agent, after which I can register my clients. They are then sent an activation code, which is their authorisation to do the returns online.

I hope this all make sense, I will warn you that a spent the afternoon going in circles on the HMRC website!! You need a VAT agents reference, which takes 24 hours to become active.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I have 45 to do why cant they make it simpler, i was also getting all excited as it stateted that if under 100k you could still complete paper ones but then added if new registar they automatically have to do-it-online so just doing the lot
  • Sparkly
    Sparkly Registered Posts: 139 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thank you for the advice on this once, you all make sense :)
    I have been a daily reader of the forums for months now (so feel like I know a lot of you already) and I thought it was time to actually start using them! Thank you for helping me out
  • Jazzy16
    Jazzy16 Registered Posts: 7 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Hi There,

How about if you work for a company. I have just started a new job and I need to register for VAT submission on line. Do I register as an agent or under the company name? It is a ltd company and previously the vat was submitted by the external accountants.

Thank you all
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would have thought you'd have to register as the company as you are an employee and not an agent. Maybe the director or a senior manager would know whether the company has its on log on, otherwise you would have to apply on line for one.
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I also do my husband's VAT returns, I checked with the helpline at the time & I just registered the company name. Not limited co though & I wasn't a partner the time.
  • Jazzy16
    Jazzy16 Registered Posts: 7 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Thank you all. I will do some research. I think that is the best way forward.
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    The company should be registered, you could use the agent route as long as you have clearance.
    I always register the client so they have their own access, if they don't have a gateway no then you can apply for this as long as you have the vat reg no. Once the online registration is complete your able to file a return.
    I always think to use your agent reference should be the last resort and only used incase something goes wrong with the login.
Privacy Policy