New AAT ruling no Tippex at all & no eraseable pens for exams

Options
reddwarf
reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor 🐘
I find the eraseable pens very useful, so I wondered if anyone knows why they are banned and why?

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Are you quite sure this is a new ruling and can you please provide a link to it?
  • lisnic
    lisnic Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    i hope not! tippex mice are my friend in exams - my paper would be more of a mess without this than with
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    blobbyh
    Quite sure
    It has been published in the tutor publication "summing up" in the last couple of weeks
    I'd expect to see it in "accounting technician" shortly
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • safrica
    safrica Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Unfortunately true ! We had official announcement yesterday at college...
  • lewpylew
    lewpylew Registered Posts: 216 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I always end up scribbling all over the place and drawing arrows and smiley faces pointing to the correct workings/answer!!

In my business tax exam I messed up a whole section and luckily they gave me a brand new paper x
  • SandyHood
    Options
    Use of correction fluid and pencils in assessments
    With immediate effect, students will no longer be allowed to use correction fluid in AAT assessments. This
    includes exams, AAT simulations, and centre-devised simulations.
    Students must also complete all answers, including workings, in permanent pen rather than pencil or erasable
    pen. If students run out of space in their answer booklet, they can request additional paper from the invigilator.
    When additional paper is used, all workings must be clearly referenced with a question number and attached to
    the original simulation or exam. Both documents must be stored together, and tutors and invigilators must
    ensure that no workings out or notes are taken away from the assessment sitting.
    This guidance will be reflected in all instructions to candidates and assessors in future exams and simulations.
    These measures are being introduced to ensure that all students’ answers and workings can be clearly seen
    and easily audited. This will ensure students receive credit where it is due for their answers and it will cut down
    the risk of malpractice, helping to maintain the integrity of assessments.
    If you have any further queries, or would like to discuss this in more detail, please contact Rahima Hoque at
    rahima.hoque@aat.org.uk or on +44 (0)20 7397 3123.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Oh no we're not allowed to use Erasable Pens either. I used them in the December Sitting for the first time and found them good. I find that when you start to cross things out and rewrite things you end up getting confused. Not happy about the ban of erasable pens!:sad:
  • reddwarf
    Options
    I've asked for more paper in an exam before and been refused! I do write a lot!
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I always always use tippex
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Well I hope to god I get a pass on Monday then at least I've only got one exam left to sit in June
  • reddwarf
    Options
    Is monday I thought it was Tuesday?
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Results are emailed om Monday (from 6pm) if you have registered to receive them via email
  • reddwarf
    Options
    thanks - Monday is going to be a long day...!
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    reddwarf wrote: Β»
    thanks - Monday is going to be a long day...!
    Naah, at 6 oclock you open your email inbox and just keep hitting send/ receive every 5 seconds after it finished, until you received the email...

I promised myself I wouldn't do it the first time and just wait till the Tuesday morning, but Monday at 6 I had my email open and just kept hitting that silly F9 button...
  • jewels.p
    Options
    Rinske wrote: Β»
    Naah, at 6 oclock you open your email inbox and just keep hitting send/ receive every 5 seconds after it finished, until you received the email...

I promised myself I wouldn't do it the first time and just wait till the Tuesday morning, but Monday at 6 I had my email open and just kept hitting that silly F9 button...

:lol: I do that all the time too!.....................and when it gets to 7pm and everyone's posted that they've passed you start to panic cause somebody says that they send all the passes out first and you still haven't got yours!
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    But thankfully now you know that's a load of rubbish :001_smile:
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    jilt wrote: Β»
    But thankfully now you know that's a load of rubbish :001_smile:
    Never hurts to repeat it tho!
  • jewels.p
    Options
    Yeah but I bet it still happens on Monday Night to those who dont know that it's crap :laugh:
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Rinske wrote: Β»

I checked my results came in at 6.47pm last Feb!

Not sure if they email out alphabetically by surname of by AAT number
  • SandyHood
    Options
    messedup
    Please can I discourage you from using tippex in future?

Exactly what a marker is asked to do if a candidate uses tippex now that it has been banned has not been spelt out.
    I would not be surprised if the markers will now be told, if there is tippex on a script then don't mark it. (an automatic fail)
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    messedup
    Please can I discourage you from using tippex in future?

Exactly what a marker is asked to do if a candidate uses tippex now that it has been banned has not been spelt out.
    I would not be surprised if the markers will now be told, if there is tippex on a script then don't mark it. (an automatic fail)

Ooohh Now that's harsh. So glad I don't have to sit anymore exams.

Speegs
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Glad I've only got two more exams to sit - I usually even take a spare tippex mouse into exams with me, in case one fails! Mind you I take two calculators and about 10 pens for the same reason!

I looked this week to see if you could put a second email address onto MyAAT to get results wherever I am; I work on two different computers - and have work and home email addresses. Sadly no luck, you can only put in one contact email address.

Perhaps we should see if they can arrange the site so that we can input 2 email addresses? You could then have the race to see which email provider is quickest at 6pm on Monday - I too sit there hitting send/receive.

Good luck on Monday everyone.

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • troy
    troy Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I remember I kept hitting the F5 refresh button, until about 9 pm and then I found that my exam results were ste in my 'junk folder'....it had been there for about an hour! :)
    I had passed them all!

The year before they had come into my usual 'inbox' so just presumed it would again. LOL
Privacy Policy