Inspiration and motivation

Options
Beautiful_bobo
Beautiful_bobo Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi All

I know I can count on someone helping me here. I seemed to have lost my motivation on my studying. My husband has been signed of sick long term and will have to have an MRI scan and further spinal probes and maybe another operation on his back, this has now bought on severe depression because he cannot work, I had a cancer scare which thankfully has been given the all clear, I am due to have a 2nd hip replacement in June and with only me working there is more money going out then there is coming in, so we are worried that we could lose our home in July. We also have to sell the car but when on the verge of doing the deal it broke down and we cannot sell a car that does not work. So consequently with everything going on I feel studying is just too much but I cannot give up after doing so well so far. I also feel guilty because I am working and I am studying and I have other interests which my husband does not. I just need the extra push to get me going again. Thanks for listening to my moans.

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    That is a hard situation you are in!

Is there some way that finishing your study would give you a raise and therefore give you some more income again? It doesn't have to be with your own company, although that would be better, as it saves you the added stress of getting used to a new job/ employer.

It is a waste to give up now and you know your husband wouldn't want you to come sit next to him and do nothing all day together.

It's a hard one though, as there clearly is a whole lot going on at the same time. Would it help you if you took a study break and continue after June or are you worried you will not pick it up soon enough then?

I would say just bite through it and keep going, but am not sure if that would really help you!

Take some time, think about it, giving up or taking a break are two completely different things and there is a point where a person has enough on their mind!

Keep going if you can see the benefit of doing it now and adding the pressure on yourself, but if you think it might be too much to take in at the moment, just finish your current level and then promise yourself to take a break!
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    This is tough situation as Rinske said

i would take a break

family and love are more important to me than anything else along with health (good health) if studying is stressing you more than you are just park it DONT give up! just park it

but ensure you settle a date to come back to it

lets be positive!!! i know it is hard but take one day at a time

AS the saying goes DIVIDE and WIN .... separate your personal life and your studies then tackle one at a time and at the end both things will be achieved:)
  • Beautiful_bobo
    Beautiful_bobo Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Many thanks for your comments. It has helped... and rest assured I will not give up, I have worked too hard for that but maybe take a step back, take a deep breath and then carry on when I am ready and can focus properly.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hello Beautiful bobo

I really do sympathise with you - life isn't easy living with a depressed person as it really can get you down.

A few things you might be able to do, especially if you're worried about money. Have you approached your employer about a pay rise - if you've passed some exams then it might be worth a go, or perhaps you could do some overtime even if it is in a different department. If you can't get a rise, maybe you could negotiate some time off for studying, even if its just one day a fortnight.

What about putting a notice in some shop windows to see if anyone wants some book-keeping, VAT Returns or payroll done? I think that even as a student you can do that, but you mustn't put AAT on the notice or mislead people that you are qualified. I believe you can earn up to either £1,000 or £2,000 before having to register as an MIP.

It is a struggle trying to do everything, but I'm working on the basis that the sooner I get it done, the sooner I can reap the benefits.

If it's any consolation I'm waiting for my first hip replacement, due at the end of April - I'm 41. Plus having had years of fantastic health and no real problems, I'm now waiting for treatment having had two dodgy biopsies in the last year. Women's problems - my husband calls it!

Which units are you on at the moment, and who are you studying with? I've been learning at home, basically with just the study manual and past papers, you may find this another way of continuing your studying without the outlay. I'm sure between us on the forum we could help you by lending you books.

You will get there.

Anna x
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
Privacy Policy