ACCA or CIMA which is your favourite

Options
Sweetpotato Chips
Sweetpotato Chips Registered Posts: 173 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I have just had alittle bit of an insight in to Management Accounting from my Unit 4 and it looks really interesting. What are you guys thoughts and feelings on it ??

Comments

• slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    mmmmm i Prefer CIMA because i could careless about auditing some elses accounts.

From what i have seen its more about the process's of accounting and management than ACCA, Internal Audit here i come :D
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    working in practise i understand more about financial so will have be ACCA
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    slackda wrote: »
    mmmmm i Prefer CIMA because i could careless about auditing some elses accounts.

From what i have seen its more about the process's of accounting and management than ACCA, Internal Audit here i come :D
    From what I can see its a more forward thinking process that maybe more business orientated rather than finance orientated. Both are of course very valuable and I was totally set on ACCA but now I am not so sure.
  • slackda
    Options
    Spot on what the BPP advisor told me Sweet, i was set on ACCA but several things swayed me to CIMA one being that its more business orientated, two i can keep my own practice up and running.
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Both are of course very valuable and I was totally set on ACCA but now I am not so sure.

I was so set on doing ACCA, but now im in the finance office at work, industry is looking more and more appealing. One of the main things for me is the progression that it offers. But i will decide closer the time....Still dont hurt looking though...lol...keeps me going sometimes !
  • A-Vic
    Options
    OMG some people are so rude and i hope it wasnt anyone off here, just had a telephone call at the office:-

"Hello am after a training contract through ACCA"

i reply "o are you"

She said "yes"

i reply "o good luck with that"

she said "cant you offer me one"

i said "no"

then she slams down the phone. Please even if i had a choice that person would be the last to be offered a job or training of any kind with that attitude.
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »
    OMG some people are so rude and i hope it wasnt anyone off here, just had a telephone call at the office:-

i reply "o are you"

She said "yes"

i said "no"

then she slams down the phone. Please even if i had a choice that person would be the last to be offered a job or training of any kind with that attitude.
    Don'tcha just luuurrrrvvvveee people !!!! I have to say though when I am talking to sales people sometimes I am the rude one LOL !!! oh and annoying creditors and debtors !! Work are having me do management reports its really exciting ( i am so god dam sad ) anyone fancy getting me a life lol !!!
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    steveJ wrote: »
    I was so set on doing ACCA, but now im in the finance office at work, industry is looking more and more appealing. One of the main things for me is the progression that it offers. But i will decide closer the time....Still dont hurt looking though...lol...keeps me going sometimes !
    So are you sticking with ACCA then ??? My tutor has advised us all to stay away from CIMA because he reckons there is no future in it and that with ACCA you can still branch out or specialize....I like it all anyway lol even if my head feels like its about to explode and its still soooooo murky !!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Don'tcha just luuurrrrvvvveee people !!!! I have to say though when I am talking to sales people sometimes I am the rude one LOL !!! oh and annoying creditors and debtors !! Work are having me do management reports its really exciting ( i am so god dam sad ) anyone fancy getting me a life lol !!!

It was just the attitude on the phone like she had the god given right to a training contract - o boy is she in for a suprize lol
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    It was just the attitude on the phone like she had the god given right to a training contract - o boy is she in for a suprize lol
    Well I suppose there is having confidence in your abilities and then theres just being downright arrogant..!! can I have a training contract when I pass my AAT please lol !!!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Well I suppose there is having confidence in your abilities and then theres just being downright arrogant..!! can I have a training contract when I pass my AAT please lol !!!

of course you can sweetie 5 years in a hellish job (not to you by the way) taking stick building my very own rep within the firm just for you to jump in and get my earned training contract lol
  • slackda
    Options
    So are you sticking with ACCA then ??? My tutor has advised us all to stay away from CIMA because he reckons there is no future in it and that with ACCA you can still branch out or specialize....I like it all anyway lol even if my head feels like its about to explode and its still soooooo murky !!

what was your tutors basis for reckoning there is no future in it? funny i had an interview the other day with Md of a local company ...not the FD but he was still Cima qualified, i think CIMA aloows for a much better branching out of the normal practice accounts, but then it all depends on what your goal is.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options

Is it anyone we know??????
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • A-Vic
    Options
    anniem wrote: »
    Is it anyone we know??????

nO I HOPE ANYWAY
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    A call like that is priceless! Makes you wonder if people think that they might need to be thinking about what they ask.

Anyways, my concern with CIMA was originally as well that in the future all industry would move to China and cost accountants (management accountants) would not be needed that much anymore, aka there is no future in CIMA.

I came back from it lately though. Been doing some research and am now trying to make the choice between the two. My work says CIMA would be better fitting with the work in the company, but won't let me do any higher work then just purchase ledger, so I have decided that once I finish my AAT I first am going to try find a new job and then decide on which course to go, as otherwise I probably end up being one of those all-qualified people, but no experience to back it up.

I still like both financial and management accounting a lot, so I find it very hard to make a choice!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Rinske wrote: »
    A call like that is priceless! Makes you wonder if people think that they might need to be thinking about what they ask.

Anyways, my concern with CIMA was originally as well that in the future all industry would move to China and cost accountants (management accountants) would not be needed that much anymore, aka there is no future in CIMA.

I came back from it lately though. Been doing some research and am now trying to make the choice between the two. My work says CIMA would be better fitting with the work in the company, but won't let me do any higher work then just purchase ledger, so I have decided that once I finish my AAT I first am going to try find a new job and then decide on which course to go, as otherwise I probably end up being one of those all-qualified people, but no experience to back it up.

I still like both financial and management accounting a lot, so I find it very hard to make a choice!

we were told tho they are almost the same just not audit papers you still do a financial papers and taxation
  • slackda
    Options
    we were told tho they are almost the same just not audit papers you still do a financial papers and taxation

Same as what i was told, at if your really interested in doing it you can do and audit top up paper and a i think another tax one and get FACCA or what ever it is so you can be a MAAT ACMA FACCA :D.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Same as what i was told, at if your really interested in doing it you can do and audit top up paper and a i think another tax one and get FACCA or what ever it is so you can be a MAAT ACMA FACCA :D.

However as i understand it CIMA it geared more for industry.
  • slackda
    Options
    Certainly more geared towards industry but from what i understand it doesn't rule out the possibility of working in practice, due to the wide scope of the syllabus, obviously you can't do much audit activity.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options

I can't believe a tutor would make such a ridiculous comment (ok well maybe I can).

CIMA is an equivalent qualification with a slightly different emphasis. Certainly if anyone is looking to work for themselves, CIMA has far less stringent practice regulations than ACCA.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options

i reply "o are you"

She said "yes"

i said "no"

It always surprises me how people don't expect to work there way up. People need to earn a learning contract, proving to the company they are worth investing in?!

Maybe I'm just damaged with the years of menial work I had to do whilst working my way up :D
  • A-Vic
    Options
    PGM wrote: »
    It always surprises me how people don't expect to work there way up. People need to earn a learning contract, proving to the company they are worth investing in?!

Maybe I'm just damaged with the years of menial work I had to do whilst working my way up :D

exactly
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options

Probably....

Just kidding, but yes, people seem to think they earn the right to get a training contract by just showing up for an interview.

I am looking for a new job, so I can actually start on CIMA or ACCA once I have finished my MAAT, but if I find a really nice new employer that says they prefer one of the other, I might just go with that one, but with all respect to my new employer, I do expect to pay for it myself. I just hope they will be friendly enough to offer me some study leave now and then.
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    I can't believe a tutor would make such a ridiculous comment (ok well maybe I can).

CIMA is an equivalent qualification with a slightly different emphasis. Certainly if anyone is looking to work for themselves, CIMA has far less stringent practice regulations than ACCA.
    It was one of the first things my tutor said to us. Don't misunderstand me I really like my tutor and enjoy his lessons I was just repeating the advise he gave to us. I am so far away from that decision that I am not going to worry about it for now lol !!
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options

I like menial but thats my OCD coming out nice a repetative
  • slackda
    Options
    Well im off to BPP, man these 15hr days hurt my head.
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    Well im off to BPP, man these 15hr days hurt my head.
    Excuse my obvious ignorance but what is BPP lol ??
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Don't worry sweet, I know you were only repeating what you had been told, I meant the tutor made a ridiculous comment, not you.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Excuse my obvious ignorance but what is BPP lol ??

Its a learning provider
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Options
    Its a learning provider
    K thanks at least I am alittle more informed than I was before
Privacy Policy