**nkers Bonus Rbs

Options
slackda
slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
what part of the company made a loss do these people not understand??

Ooh my part of the business was profitable so i should get a bonus....hell no!

Not sure about the rest of you but my experience of bonus's is they are general set on measurable metrics, i.e sucessful audit, reporting deadlines met etc which are then linked to the profitibilty of the company.

I'm fortunate enought to have never worked for a loss making company (touch wood it stays that way), but in the times where our OP and GM was lower than the targets our bonus was reduced accordingly, ok wasn't happy about loosing some of my bonus but i appreciated and understood the posistion of the company to make that decission, why can't the bankers get this into their think skulls too, after all these people are meant to be super intelligent people that can't be lost by the bank.

rant over. ahhhhh feeel better now .

Comments

• taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    i agree with you. i work in one of 62 outlets. 3 of the outlets did not make a profit, so no-one got any bonus at xmas. Bit of a **** as our outlet was one of the highest profit makers :(
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Not to be agrumentative however i can see the argument for the bounses,

1. they did make profits of over 8 billion this year and should be rewarded for the work done.

2. if not properly rewarded the people who make money will go elsewhere

If you owned a business and had two departments if department A made a loss and department B made a profit would you cut the wages of department A or B???

This is the arument for banks bounses
  • slackda
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: Β»

If you owned a business and had two departments if department A made a loss and department B made a profit would you cut the wages of department A or B???

Appreicate that but if my company had no profits how can i justify paying any bonuses?
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Not to be agrumentative however i can see the argument for the bounses,

1. they did make profits of over 8 billion this year and should be rewarded for the work done.

2. if not properly rewarded the people who make money will go elsewhere

I was going to sat similar, playing devils advocate..

Without bonuses how can you attract the best people?!

And why should whoever lose bonuses due to the actions of the bankers that caused the disaster?
  • A-Vic
    Options
    slackda wrote: Β»
    Appreicate that but if my company had no profits how can i justify paying any bonuses?

neither did the banks as a matter of fact they had 3.6 billion losses this year
  • slackda
    Options
    Don't get me wrong on this i see why the bonuses are in place, and those who have worked well and performed should be rewarding for doing so, but just think the targets and levels of these bonuses need a serious thinking through.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    While some say why shouldn't ordinary workers be paid bonuses you could also argue the case that they were (over)paid bonuses when times were "good" and should forfeit them now since arguably they weren't entitled to them in the first place. If profits were made through reckless (and maybe even criminal) irresponsibility, then there has to be payback at some point.

Nobody should receive a bonus until the taxpayer is refunded in full. The 'talent will go elsewhere' argument to me is inavlid since if they were that talented in the first place then they wouldn't have fucked up so badly and I imagine it's the same limited cesspool of 'talent' that has just gone from bank to bank anyway. Anyone can make a quick buck if it's done without conscience and morality but let's see how they operate now with their legal handcuffs on.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Nobody should receive a bonus until the taxpayer is refunded in full. The 'talent will go elsewhere' argument to me is inavlid since if they were that talented in the first place then they wouldn't have fucked up so badly.

but that was my argument was why should the workers that hadnt messed up be penalised for a job well done?
  • slackda
    Options
    Ahaa,

Why as an accountant should my bonus be linked to the performance of the company, i can't affect sales (well not with out breaking the law), but at the same time i can't expect to be paid a bonus if the company isn't making money, so the workers that haven't mesed up have to appreciate the greater picture, tbh being made redundant last year my self, they should be glad they have jobs let alone getting a bonus.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    slackda wrote: Β»
    Ahaa,

Why as an accountant should my bonus be linked to the performance of the company, i can't affect sales (well not with out breaking the law), but at the same time i can't expect to be paid a bonus if the company isn't making money, so the workers that haven't mesed up have to appreciate the greater picture, tbh being made redundant last year my self, they should be glad they have jobs let alone getting a bonus.

but it is, as the accountant very much linked to the job - say the sales department had reached and gone beyound the targets set however profits are down this could be linked to costing (the correct price for the cost of goods set at the time) not allowing for materials increasing or not calculating price index or in the case of bankers not predicting the economic downturn that was expected 18 months previous
  • slackda
    Options
    gd point :P, so many variables....
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    but that was my argument was why should the workers that hadnt messed up be penalised for a job well done?

Because they were rewarded in the 'good' times when the job - speaking of the bank as a whole and with hindsight - wasn't well done and profits were being made immorally and unethically...
  • A-Vic
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Because they were rewarded in the 'good' times when the job - speaking of the bank as a whole and with hindsight - wasn't well done and profits were being made immorally and unethically...

That could be said about a lot of british businesses take british gas for instance they announced this morning a 58% increase in profits alone this year shouldnt that be passed on to the consumer when the wholesale price dropped signifcantly or should they like they said "be used to develop a greener energy" ??

The fact is sadly we promote enterprize at any cost and anyone been offered a bouns will take it, right or wrongly
  • Sweetpotato Chips
    Sweetpotato Chips Registered Posts: 173 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    That could be said about a lot of british businesses take british gas for instance they announced this morning a 58% increase in profits alone this year shouldnt that be passed on to the consumer when the wholesale price dropped signifcantly or should they like they said "be used to develop a greener energy" ??

The fact is sadly we promote enterprize at any cost and anyone been offered a bouns will take it, right or wrongly
    I have to agree we are becoming more and more americanized in our businesses and its get the job done at all cost and get big paypackets for doing it that way. While I appreciate people should renumerated for the work and performance they achieve it should always be balanced with an over view of the whole companies performance thus creating a more team pull together enviroment. Well thats my opinion anyway LOL
Privacy Policy